Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Updated for 3.2007.10-7.
Also experienced 'keys not working in menu' situation with older firmware. Now I cannot make it in newer one. Let's hope it is gone.
Hi Fanoush

Thanks for the update. Sorry what do you mean "cannot make it in newer one" Do you mean it doesn't matter now if you touch the keys on booting, the menu will always work the new firmware? Or is there a new problem?

Cheers
Rich

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I fix the no key issue by setting it to "ask"

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Do you mean it doesn't matter now if you touch the keys on booting, the menu will always work the new firmware?
Yes, works fine now. I can't make it to fail. Either it is gone or I was just lucky so far. Which keys triggered it, all ones? Tried some and it works.

Originally Posted by DCr33P View Post
I can't connect via usb and got the message "[..] unable to connect via usb[..] Memory cards in use: internal memory card". Somehow it's logical, cause my ext2 partition is used as rootfs by the system and can't be unmountend due to the usb connection process. But what's with my first fat32 partition on the card? It doesn't show up on my PC Only the 128mb nokia card in external slot can be accessed from PC.
Any ideas, how to solve this?
Now I got bitten by this too. Workaround is to edit file
/usr/sbin/osso-mmc-umount.sh (as already mentioned here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&postcount=123 )
and change one line 'umount $mp 2> /dev/null' in this loop
Code:
        for mp in $MPS; do
          umount $mp 2> /dev/null
          RC=$?
          if [ $RC != 0 ]; then
            echo "$0: could not unmount $mp"
            exit $RC
          fi
        done
to be
Code:
        for mp in $MPS; do
          if [ "$mp" != "/" ] ; then umount $mp 2> /dev/null ; fi
          RC=$?
          if [ $RC != 0 ]; then
            echo "$0: could not unmount $mp"
            exit $RC
          fi
        done
Which means skip unmounting root filesystem. If you don't write to same filesystem (i.e the active linux partition) over usb, it is safe. Most probably you just want to write to first FAT partition anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Hey, I was just about also to raise this issue with you, as I've also just experienced the problem, with my immediate quick-and-dirty go-around being to boot from flash in order to access the internal card's fat16 partition rather than from MMC2. I'll certainly now implement your fix.

Fanoush: As an experiment, I removed my bootable MMC2 card from the internal card slot and put it into the external slot and tried to boot from there using the bootmenu.config file which I'd copied from your bootmenu.config sample. But my N800 wouldn't boot from that slot. Is there a further modification I need to make to my bootmenu.config file, or is there something intrinsic to the configuration of the flash operating system on my MMC2 card which would only let it boot from the internal slot? I do want eventually to be able to also boot from the external slot. Is this actually possible?

This is some bug/feature of linux kernel. At boot time it assigns first nonempty slot as mmcblk0. This means that if you have only card in external slot then the 'first/internal' boot item works. If you have both card slots filled and the one to boot in in the external slot then use the 'second/external' item (not tried but I suppose it will work).

Most probably it is a real bug since when the system is booted naming of the slots is corrected i.e. when you boot from card in external slot named (wrongly) at boot time mmcblk0 the result printed by df is that you booted from mmcblk0p2 and have first FAT partition mounted called mmcblk1p1. But both partitions are on the same card :-) I guess it is just cosmetic issue but maybe it can confuse some parts of the system so the best is to avoid booting from external card when internal slot is empty.

Fanoush: To clarify what I did: Having switched the cards, putting the bootable one in the external slot (and the unconfigured one in the internal slot), when the boot menu came up I chose the MMC12 item (which I'd adapted from your sample bootmenu.config), and it didn't work. If I were to partition the unconfigured card, following your wiki instructions, but change the MMC2 designation to MMC12 (and possibly the MMC1 to MMC11), could that make it work? (Of course, I'm way out of my depth here!) Regards, Jim

Fanoush: I GOT IT TO WORK! I rechecked my bootmenu.conf file in /mnt/initfs and noted that I had inadvertently retained an ext3 designation from your example file when I adapted it. I changed that (second) designation to ext2, put my bootable card once again in the external slot, the unconfigured card in the internal slot, then when booting up I chose the external menu item, and it booted fine. Sorry to have troubled you. Now, when I format the unconfigured card, I'll do it from the internal slot, then switch it to the external slot when the configuration is entirely finished. I'm assuming that I'm not going to be able to configure it in the external slot (unless I leave the internal slot empty???). Thanks again, Jim.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2007-03-25 at 12:05.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Beijing, China
It's my second week of owning the N800 and as much as l have grown to love it, I was a bit reluctant to try the bootmenu procedure because I haven't used Linux in so many years. After flashing the N800 with the latest OS that came out over the weekend, I finally spent some time last night to get it to boot from mmc. I used a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card and followed the instructions. It took a while but it worked like a charm after the reboot. Now I have more than 1GB of free memory to use and it boots up fast! Faster than from flash as I remembered. The Sandisk Ultra II is not the fastest card around (I think around 60X or a bit more than that) and it's already giving me pretty impressive performance. I can imagine how it would be like using a 150X card.

Last edited by Keyser.Soze; 2007-03-28 at 03:13.