Active Topics

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Support for what?
On a serious note, I guess that the point here is that the device "plays nice" with what most users do to transfer media/files back and forth their PC's, Macs, etc.. I personally don't undertsand how hard can it be to mount a device (not to mention with the added security benefits), but most people disagree with me.
If Jolla wants to reach out to the mass market, it's good that when you plug in the Jolla device on a Mac or whatever, you get the expected reaction (somebody fill in the blanks here, I'm not that type of user).

There is a grey area, though, where Jolla can't do much, but I guess "as much as possible" would suffice. Now, if this "technology" can't be used because it's patented, then somebody write an application and make some money ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post

OS X does support rndis with the horndis driver an then you can transfer files over sshfs/scp/sftp
Does this require developer mode and use of terminal? Are there any instructions anywhere?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Jolla phone doesn't show up in Finder on OSX for me. I haven't yet tried to solve the issue with terminal.

But Im running a triple booting hackintosh machine (OSX, Win8, Linux). Could be somekind of quirk caused by not running an official Apple machine, altough all other mass storage USB devices work no problem in OSX for me.
It is not a USB mass storage device. It is a MTP device, and Apple does not support this. There is the Android File Transfer application available from Google for MTP on OS-X, but Apple broke that with the update to Mavericks, too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
On a serious note, I guess that the point here is that the device "plays nice" with what most users do to transfer media/files back and forth their PC's, Macs, etc.. I personally don't undertsand how hard can it be to mount a device (not to mention with the added security benefits), but most people disagree with me.
If Jolla wants to reach out to the mass market, it's good that when you plug in the Jolla device on a Mac or whatever, you get the expected reaction (somebody fill in the blanks here, I'm not that type of user).
The issue here is that when the decision was made it played nice with PC's and Macs. However Apple recently broke things, most likely to curb the growth of Android devices. So on Windows/Linux it works fine.

If somebody is to blame it is Apple for not supporting industry standards and non-competitive behaviour.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
Does this require developer mode and use of terminal? Are there any instructions anywhere?
This does require developer mode and most likely some knowledge of command line tools. I do not know of any tutorial out there atm, and I must admit it is not the most userfriendly way. Moreover I do not know what part of those things works and how on a Mac.

There are mixed reports of iPhoto working/not working. Also people have been using dropbox etc ...

We are currently brain-storming to work out a way to get support for OS X in a way that Apple is not likely to break. But for that you will have to be a bit patient.

Last edited by Philippe; 2013-12-13 at 14:14.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
I'm gonna try and circle around the problem running Windows 8 in Parallels for now!

Edit: Works.

Last edited by Miharin; 2013-12-13 at 14:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Miharin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
If somebody is to blame it is Apple for not supporting industry standards and non-competitive behaviour.
Thanks for commenting and setting the issue straight. It would be good if the EU Competitions Committee (or however they are called) paid attention here.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
There is normal unix security to protect the data.

Sailfish protected data are in privileged group, and normal android applications don't have access to that group, as android apps run as randomuid:nemo-group. So they only have readonly access to nemo users dirs (if group has +r). If you make sailfish application, and chmod g-r on the file, then android application cannot read it.

But yes between sailfish applications both are running as nemo, there is no read access restrictions, but ofcourse you can encrypt your sailfish applications data files. And even normal nemo user sailfish applications cannot access the data from Jolla applications privileged group dirs (like facebook contacts etc are protected).
I think this is a serious oversight. I understood not doing it in Maemo, but I would expect at least Jolla would implement something like Android, where the app declares what it needs, and it fails if it tries to access something it did not request access to.

At this day and age, what is the justification not doing something like this?

It only takes 1 malicious developer with a relatively popular, innocent looking app to compromise the security of most Sailfish users, and steal all the info they store on their phones.

This is the main reason I'll avoid getting one.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Jolla phone doesn't show up in Finder on OSX for me. I haven't yet tried to solve the issue with terminal.

But Im running a triple booting hackintosh machine (OSX, Win8, Linux). Could be somekind of quirk caused by not running an official Apple machine, altough all other mass storage USB devices work no problem in OSX for me.
It's not because it's a hackintosh, it behaves the same way on official hardware. It has something to do with the Btrfs file system that Jolla uses not being supported on OSX yet.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
I think this is a serious oversight. I understood not doing it in Maemo, but I would expect at least Jolla would implement something like Android, where the app declares what it needs, and it fails if it tries to access something it did not request access to.

At this day and age, what is the justification not doing something like this?

It only takes 1 malicious developer with a relatively popular, innocent looking app to compromise the security of most Sailfish users, and steal all the info they store on their phones.

This is the main reason I'll avoid getting one.
Tis us not easy at all to properly do this. Just check the Aegis fiasco on Harmattan on the N9 to see how bad it can get if not implemented proprly.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience