Sorry been too busy to look further into this. But now I have maybe you can help. If I start easy-debian while my SDHC card is mounted, when I exit debian, closechroot executes 'fuser -m /.debian -k' (from /proc) which kills dozens of processes, including the root process(!). Unmounting /.debian/media/mmc1 makes no difference. Neither does unmounting /media/mmc1.

So the problem seems to come down to why fuser seems to think that all these processes are accessing files under /.debian This makes no sense to me.

I also tried using fuser from debian - that made no difference.

Do you have any suggestions for further testing?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
avidscavenger: does your Debian system have a dedicated partition or image file? Or is it just a sub-directory on your SD card? If it is just a sub-directory, then fuser will kill everything in Maemo, because Debian isn't a mounted filesystem. You will have to comment out the fuser line in /sbin/closechroot if you don't do it the "proper" way with a special partition or image file.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
avidscavenger: does your Debian system have a dedicated partition or image file?
It's just a standard installation using an image file on /home/user/MyDocs The non-standard thing I do is mount a LUKS-encrypted partition on the SDHC card. If that partition isn't mounted, everything works fine. If it is mounted when I first start easy-debian, then when I run closechroot, fuser tries to kill everything.

The Following User Says Thank You to avidscavenger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
My N900 got the dreaded Texrat loose USB port problem and the battery stopped charging.

Rest in pieces. If you can't get you-know-who to fix/replace it, there are (N800 friendly, even) alternatives.

quole broken n900 = no easy fedora = me sad

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
avidscavenger: I too have recently noticed that there are problems when there are two loop-mounted systems. I will investigate. Thanks for the report.

New Easy Chroot package in Extras-devel will strip the trailing slash off of the given mountpoint (a trailing slash produced weird results) and multiple mounted loops are handled better.

I don't think I fixed avidscavenger's problem, but I fixed some serious annoyances for me.

avidscavenger: perhaps run "sudo closechroot /.debian" from the terminal and tell me what it says...?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I tried it before and after your upgrade and unfortunately it makes no difference. I've attached the output of running 'mount' followed by starting and exiting 'debbie', then 'mount' a second time followed by 'closechroot'. At that point the connection to the n900 is broken as the n900 reboots.

Cheers Jonathan
Attached Files
File Type: txt n900_crash.txt (3.7 KB, 168 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to avidscavenger For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi qole,

Just a couple of minor things.

I was never able to figure out how to move
the My Documents folder, which was partially covered by the top panel, so instead, I put all the stuff showing on the top panel on a left side panel and removed the top panel. Since doing this I've noticed a better response to the stylus when, for instance, I'm in full screen mode and I want to select the file option in open office writer which is in the upper left hand corner of the screen. So you might consider setting up the default version that is downloaded without the top panel.

Anyways, it is really great to have open office available on such a portable device. While the other word processing apps available have some nice features and are useful for making simple text documents, none of the other packages come close in editing capability (fonts, equations ect.) as openoffice.

Last edited by mscion; 2010-08-23 at 12:59.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Yet another example of the usefulness of Easy Debian: On my laptop I've always been using gqview (in lenny) and then its successor geeqie (in the squeeze distribution) as a photo viewer. Now, it just works perfectly with debbie, and I find it quite a bit better than Maemo's native image viewer. At least, it's a useful alternative when the latter turns out wanting.

Borrowing the image viewer icon, one can easily build an additional photo app by a desktop file like
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Geeqie
Exec=debbie "cd /home/user/MyDocs/DCIM;geeqie"
Icon=tasklaunch_photos
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
(assuming that geeqie has been installed by first activating the squeeze repository and then doing "apt-get install geeqie" from the Debian chroot).

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-08-24 at 22:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze