Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM View Post
Yeah it should be easily doable... but I guess the devs will try to develop something first to rearrange the icons and widgets as like I see it now it just doesn't make much sense if you cant see half of your icons and stuff. This will be the more difficult part of it though... let's see, they did a great job until now!
I know that you say is an good idea but, if you can cutomize your desktop the way you want, why not just do it rotate and the user put the icons/widgets in a way that fix and rotate good?

I think is hard to do a rotate desktop for every user with every user have different stuff (to rearrange all).

And (for example) if you have in one desktop the conversation widget, the calendar widget, ussd widget, foreca widget and some icons, how rearrange the big ones to fix?

Grettings.

Last edited by s4br0s0; 2011-03-02 at 21:51.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Just my view but I would imagine most end users who will download the stable CSSU to get access to the protrait transitions and so will want the GUI, which I cannot see will take up that much memory space?, and once downloaded they wll never delete.
Of course the users who are fine with it won't bother deleting it. That's the point though - what does the majority lose if the UI is packaged separately? Nothing, other than a tiny inconvenience of clicking install on a second/third package. What does the user who DOESN'T want it have to do? Or do they not matter because they're a minority?

One of the advantages the CSSU brings (or at least is supposed to, I haven't checked if it does yet), is that you can go and get rid of a preinstalled "firmware" package that you don't want and don't need, without it throwing dependency errors when you go to update/install anything else. If the .deb / apt-get / dpkg system provide for a way to install them with the CSSU install/update and then delete them without it throwing dependency errors, I say go for it. But far as I know, it only allows for dependencies, and "recommends" which don't get installed near as I can tell anyway (at least through FApMan, never noticed when using HAM).

Editing the power menu seems a different ball game to me.
Editing the power menu is a different extreme of the same concept - there are ways to tweak the UI in the official firmware releases. Because users wanted easier control, people wrote GUI apps to automate/simplify that tweaking. I think the same can apply to the CSSU - some of us are fine not using ApMeFo to make folders in the menu either, or editing our themes without Theme Customizer, yet that's not being pushed to the CSSU. (The reasoning is similar: you have customizable features, people want GUIs. If you think power menu is a bad example, find any number of other customizable things. The overwhelming majority of them want the GUI way. But you don't stick all those things into the CSSU, so why stick it in for features just because the CSSU happens to enable/add them?)

My problem is that not including it causes merely a small inconvenience for one demographic. Including it causes a pretty large inconvenience for another demographic. I think the former demographic needs to be exponentially bigger than the latter to justify that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Of course the users who are fine with it won't bother deleting it. That's the point though - what does the majority lose if the UI is packaged separately? Nothing, other than a tiny inconvenience of clicking install on a second/third package. What does the user who DOESN'T want it have to do? Or do they not matter because they're a minority?
Indeed; and I think my opinion lies closer to yours; however, where does it stop? Personally, I think zaxisrotation is fantastic and - possibly in future - should be as widely used as possible. However, editing transitions.ini isn't a nice way of enabling that for such a beneficial feature. So people install the CSSU & a GUI settings editor - which is too complex (or, ultimately, we change the default. Muwahahaha)

Similarly with rotation lock: the CSSU can provide the capability (through a gconf key) to expose an orientation lock. But then it's not actually useful until someone installs the status area menu (note, this is proper orientation lock, not a forcerotation shortcut only for devs). So, now we're up to 3 packages for the "ideal Maemo" experience.

As you say, though, people might not be interested in rotation lock. For though, existing control panel settings applets are replaced or enriched; so you could have Display > Alternate orientation effect and Display > Show orientation lock.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
i searched the eiki it has a new update but i cant find it in the app manager neither has it been updated on the testing page...how do i install the latest update????

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Indeed; and I think my opinion lies closer to yours; however, where does it stop? Personally, I think zaxisrotation is fantastic and - possibly in future - should be as widely used as possible. However, editing transitions.ini isn't a nice way of enabling that for such a beneficial feature. So people install the CSSU & a GUI settings editor - which is too complex (or, ultimately, we change the default. Muwahahaha)

Similarly with rotation lock: the CSSU can provide the capability (through a gconf key) to expose an orientation lock. But then it's not actually useful until someone installs the status area menu (note, this is proper orientation lock, not a forcerotation shortcut only for devs). So, now we're up to 3 packages for the "ideal Maemo" experience.

As you say, though, people might not be interested in rotation lock. For though, existing control panel settings applets are replaced or enriched; so you could have Display > Alternate orientation effect and Display > Show orientation lock.
Personally I think most of the transition changes in the CSSU are fantastic and have now activated most of them, it would therefore be a pity if end users missed out on them due to not having downloaded the GUI and so were not aware of them.

As I have already downloaded the GUI I personnally have no concerns about whether the GUI is included or not but if it is not we will need clear instructions on the changeblog informing the user they need to download the GUI to activate the transitions, we will also need to ensure the GUI is promoted to the right repo. as some end user will only use the repos which contain the tested/stable apps.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
anyone else notice some sort of slow-down in the modest after the last update?

it doesnt crash as much, but takes forever...ok, not forever, but it is closer to how it was with pr1.1 where the modest was checking it 3 times so we had to do a modest fix.

@elie

i dont remember ever having a drag-to-drop menu on the n900...and i have had it since dec 7, 2009.

unless i missed it somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by s4br0s0 View Post
I know that you say is an good idea but, if you can cutomize your desktop the way you want, why not just do it rotate and the user put the icons/widgets in a way that fix and rotate good?

I think is hard to do a rotate desktop for every user with every user have different stuff (to rearrange all).

And (for example) if you have in one desktop the conversation widget, the calendar widget, ussd widget, foreca widget and some icons, how rearrange the big ones to fix?

Grettings.
Then maybe it is an idea to let the users rearenge their desktop on their own. Just like you do it nouw with the landscape one. As I image it; there are two files that contain the arranging of the desktop, one for portrait and one for landscape. When the device is in landscape it will use the landscape file and when in portrait it will use the portrait file. Just sharing some thoughts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetalSer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rebelnoob View Post
i searched the eiki it has a new update but i cant find it in the app manager neither has it been updated on the testing page...how do i install the latest update????
Go to Settings > About Community SSU. What version are you running? What does the Log say in HAM when you click Update (and possibly Refresh)?

Go to Settings > About Community SSU. What version are you running? What does the Log say in HAM when you click Update (and possibly Refresh)?
yeah updated but didnt get the 9 desktops mentioned in the log>?

It's damn hard. I've been playing with some algorithms.
I've switched back to the shape-filling algorithm, rather than doing it heuristically. It just works better for my desktops:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade