Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
We've been though this. One person's "100% negativity" is another person's "objective view". And vice versa.
Like common definition of intelligence - you cannot possibly be intelligent person unless you are extremely cynical and pessimistic because expressing things in positive light is just r*****ed and gullible. No exeptions (exept when comparing to others).

Ok, more seriously... having been in places where people have to be inspired and motivated to do things, I have found that best way to kill all interest is to resort to nitpicking, bashing and negativity. Even small issues tend to grow into serious problems in such atmosphere and environment. It's not constructive, no matter if things said are true or not. But of course it's just my naiive point of view.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Yep and by jailbraking you are excluding yourself from all the support from Apple when things go sour, possibly even get yourself banned from AppStore because of it. They also have been working steadily to make it more difficult.

Um... didn't I just mention API-restrictions in Jolla store? Didn't I just say it should be addressed in high priority?

Usually when persons output is ~100% negativity, doom and gloom, there is enough reason to call it bashing you know...
Isn't your warranty in jeopardy if you change things that you are allowed to change(linux things) from start on Jolla?
AFAIK there are certain things Jolla would not repair/use warranty if you changed in system, so it's same same. And i had jailbroken iphone for few months and was using app store with no issues, not an expert but I think you are not banned for jailbreaking, at least that what was few years ago.

Like common definition of intelligence - you cannot possibly be intelligent person unless you are extremely cynical and pessimistic because expressing things in positive light is just r*****ed and gullible. No exeptions (exept when comparing to others).

Ok, more seriously... having been in places where people have to be inspired and motivated to do things, I have found that best way to kill all interest is to resort to nitpicking, bashing and negativity. Even small issues tend to grow into serious problems in such atmosphere and environment. It's not constructive, no matter if things said are true or not. But of course it's just my naiive point of view.
You are mostly right, but on contrary some things are not done by Jolla until there is a lot of noise and "bashing" from community. As well as most of the times I do try to explain and show the logic in what i say and do not use "they are boo", "they are overreacting" while the answers mostly "you are just negative", "you are bashing".
Basically first is to explain why it is not good and second is to tell "you are wrong" with no explanation except pointing fingers and using overused "troll" thing

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Cheer up, ZogG. Please note that the ranks of uncritical supporters who would let Jolla get away with murder are finally beginning to shrink. I believe this is a good thing: unlike JulmaHerra, I believe the unbridled arse-lickery unconditional support is much more damaging than constructive criticism.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-11-09 at 16:52. Reason: Softened up to avoid offense

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
As a user where I needed to assume a very tolerant attitude towards Jolla in the past (2013) with regard to missing basic functionality (groups, SMS character counter, copy&paste, SIP interface, no security interface ..)
I touched upon this a couple of weeks ago. I have given it a few more thoughts and concluded that the "proof of concept" theory must be right and all the core apps like Phone, Messages, People, Gallery... are nothing more than a tick in the box. They have to include them to be able to sell the device as a phone at all, but they did not bother giving them a grain of attention more than what was the absolute minimum to be able to say they are there. Presumably because they consider those things secondary, to be ultimately implemented by the licensing partners they are hoping to get. Licensing partners whose primary expertise is mobile communication.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Isn't your warranty in jeopardy if you change things that you are allowed to change(linux things) from start on Jolla?
In certain cases yes, mostly because if you brick your phone repeatedly on purpose, it's not manufacturers responsibility to fix it for free under warranty. You still have quite much freedom to tinker in developer mode without fear of losing warranty (at least I didn't). Warning is there to remind that via developer mode you have access to things that can potentially brick or ruin your phone. So no, it's not the same.

You are mostly right, but on contrary some things are not done by Jolla until there is a lot of noise and "bashing" from community.
Perhaps. However, community doesn't own or run Jolla, so community will never be the one calling the shots in company. The ones who invested their money in it do and have the last word on what is implemented and when. In that regard the way of simply bash until you get what you want the way you want only to continue bashing on some other thing and of course reminding how long it took to implement feature X you wanted to be there when the world was created doesn't look like good alternative to me. But of course if you really believe that it advances some purpose, by all means continue to do it (I'm sure you will). Personally I think this will be my last contribution here, as it's clearly evident that only negative remarks are welcome here and others are regarded as *** licking *****s. So enjoy the ride.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
As far as I know I can modify everthing on my device unless it's HW and the warranty still covers it. There was some discussion about that some time ago, cannot find that though.

AFAIK there are certain things Jolla would not repair/use warranty if you changed in system, so it's same same. And i had jailbroken iphone for few months and was using app store with no issues, not an expert but I think you are not banned for jailbreaking, at least that what was few years ago.
I have to say in honesty I do not know how iOS devicees behave there, but at least Apple has the possibility to ban them from the store, just like chipped PS3's and xBoxen are banned fron the network. Or at least tried to

Personally I think this will be my last contribution here, as it's clearly evident that only negative remarks are welcome here and others are regarded as *** licking *****s. So enjoy the ride.
Sorry, that expression was meant as poking fun at white calling grey black, but it came out worse than intended. I updated my post.

Still, I don't think that your referring to well-meant criticism as "bashing" and "doom and gloom" is justified.

Perhaps. However, community doesn't own or run Jolla, so community will never be the one calling the shots in company. The ones who invested their money in it do and have the last word on what is implemented and when. In that regard the way of simply bash until you get what you want the way you want only to continue bashing on some other thing and of course reminding how long it took to implement feature X you wanted to be there when the world was created doesn't look like good alternative to me. But of course if you really believe that it advances some purpose, by all means continue to do it (I'm sure you will). Personally I think this will be my last contribution here, as it's clearly evident that only negative remarks are welcome here and others are regarded as *** licking *****s. So enjoy the ride.
Not sure if you would see it, but whole point of TMO and Maemo community was about community, as Jolla not directly but somehow got from here (mer was developed here btw) and as the first users they targeted were from here. The phones preorders and tablet preorders were made by community, so community actually invested. in addition the unlikeliness of Jolla was about openness(this word is used a lot by their PR with opensource btw, which is not 100% true) and about community, that's how they got a lot of people involved, including me ordering from first wave of phones.
And as of features and exact UI parts, I said my opinions, but I never talked too much about them, except few parts(like themes and other halfs that were main features and now gone and that it's now more and more looks like android). What I'm talking is about the politics, communication, promisses they give and not keep. The general and important things in their "growing" which I think as community — now is main source of applications and most money(preorders) — should be heard and opinion should be considered.
Simple example is that they want developers to develop and there was a lot of noise around it, but no paid apps, not all APIs, not much effort is there.
If you look in general, where is main effort of Jolla? Software would you say? OS? But they did not publish a lot of apps. They do have updates (btw once they said it would be monthly, than 3 months and now how many updates we have?), but they are slow and some of them still have really annoying bugs that are not fixed release after release. After few years we have 2.0 and how many things where changed, few UI changes and few features in how many years? If you take Nokia N9 that had only 3 updates the difference between each one had longer changelog(all libs updates and stuff that Jolla includes even was not included in those changelogs).
So where exactly they put their effort? Pasted a long time and we do not see any real progress.
Edit:
Btw just coz of this mist and silence most people do not pay attention, but a lot of top people from Jolla left and few great devs, which should already be an alarming, but you will never know as Jolla keeps everything under the shadows

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund