Posts: 159 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Romania, Cluj-Napoca
Before anything, I think that it's great that a evidence of purchase is required. It's pretty logical to try to protect an unlucky user whose phone was stolen.

However, there are many people, like me, who bought their phone second hand, and the previous user had NO IDEA that the lock code cannot be reset by flashing the phone. It's very usual for Nokia devices to return to their 12345 after a device hard reset. This is not the case for the N900.

So, what proof can a second-hand user bring? There is no receipt, because the phone is a second-hand, purchased from an end-user, who cannot issue receipts. I doubt you'd accept warranty certificates, and even these have no value, if not accompanied by a receipt. Should I show you my bank account statement, to see when I withdrew the cash for buying the N900 from that user? Even that would be useless, because I could've easily used the money elsewere.

The fact is, us second-hand N900 buyers cannot bring any proof of buying the device, and not stealing it. But the fact that we have bothered to register to this site and tried to find answers should maybe be a start to gain credibilty? If we begin to have activity, it should also count.

Anyway, I'm not in this case of having to "beg" someone to do smth for me. Or to prove anything to anyone. I've managed to reset the lock-code by myself. It was not that complicated, I found pertinent information in this thread, followed the steps and... voila ! I guess that the potential "N900 stealers" could do the same if they did know how. I wouldn't know how a stealer's mind works, but I, for one, wouldn't want to keep a stolen device. I'd just sell it. Again, hypothetically speaking! )

Last edited by geojoking; 2011-01-24 at 23:25.

@geojoking
If you are going to buy second hand phone which has 24 month warranty (what is the case with N900 in EU), you will also obtain receipt and warranty certificate from first owner which he got when he bought the phone.

As we know N900 was released in December 2009, so you do the math!

Last edited by kolos; 2011-01-24 at 23:58.

Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
@azeez1425ah
Show a proof of purchase.

@patt2k
Try 18051982.
i hv attached one

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@azeez1425ah
Please, attach a bigger image - this one is unreadable in 120x80px.

@geojoking
You are right about second hand buyers, but as you said here one can find info to do it himself. So that is their option.
Anyway, when I see an user that have registered months ago and have been active in these forums, participating in discussion it is easier to help even if he is a second hand buyer.

Last edited by zlatko; 2011-01-26 at 08:37.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Romania, Cluj-Napoca
Originally Posted by kolos View Post
@geojoking
If you are going to buy second hand phone which has 24 month warranty (what is the case with N900 in EU), you will also obtain receipt and warranty certificate from first owner which he got when he bought the phone.

As we know N900 was released in December 2009, so you do the math!
You are right, if the phone was firstly bought directly from Nokia or an authorised reseller (Operators or other official shops). I do not know how things work in other countries but in Romania a lot of products arrive a bit late than in other countries. And there are a lot of, let's call them "resellers", that bring devices from the outside (other EU countries), in advance of official country releases and then sell them with no receipt and/or warranty. You should have seen the prices of the N900 when it appeared in Romania in Jan 2010. Or the N97, the iPhone 4 etc.

Eitherway, it does not really matter. As zlatko pointed out above, even if it's a SH user of a N900 with no proof of purchase, they can register to this forum, start posting relevant information and/or questions, make activity, and it will be obvious to us they're not shady stealers.

Last edited by geojoking; 2011-01-26 at 10:37.

Gud Day sir can you also crack mine my root:dWBr77jmiYTvE: thanks in advance sir

Last edited by chad031; 2011-01-26 at 14:29.

How can we know that is is your lock code?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@chad031
Post a proof of purchase.

Originally Posted by geojoking View Post
And there are a lot of, let's call them "resellers", that bring devices from the outside (other EU countries), in advance of official country releases and then sell them with no receipt and/or warranty. You should have seen the prices of the N900 when it appeared in Romania in Jan 2010. Or the N97, the iPhone 4 etc.
So, between the lines you would like to say that in Romania is a big black market (no receipt and warranty -> avoiding taxes) where maybe these "resellers" also selling phones which were stolen in other EU member states?

@zelatko

i dont have receipt coz i buy the unit on second hand but i assured you this was not stolen frm somebody else i got it w/ complete box and accessory with the same imei number on the unit and the box..

Tags
devicelock, nokia n900