i know this is a very serious topic :P but God's pictures and some comments had me in stitches. immature humour all the way

Grr why is the Nokia Store in the Departures at Terminal 5, means i cant play with the phone again on the way home

Let's look at the original post again ; "N900 is horrible" - Firstly, let's be positive, at least he didn't use the word "sucks"...

Seriously there are two seperate issues raising their heads here.
1) The fact that the N900 is a supposed "mobile computer" with phone functions, which is why it doesn't do MMS, portrait mode, and so on. Understandable. The rest of the quotes "step 4 out of 5" and "It's Maemo/Linux so don't buy it unless you're ubergeeky" seem to bolt themselves onto that fact. I have read, studied and researched the N900 since early October, and have no problem with any "missing features" since they can be added either through 3rd party software or through Nokia themselves.

2) The second issue (and the one which is making my next "phone" purchase more difficult) are the increasing number of bugs being reported - not small, hard to detect bugs, but major eight-legged fanged flying bugs. Bluetooth, microphone, messaging, rebooting, random calls and contacts disappearing. All reported on this forum.

Yes, those bugs will be tracked down and fixed, but I for one will now wait until I see improvements. Big deal? Maybe. But i'm going to have another look at a Hero, and that could be Nokia's loss. Rightly some of you have said "Do research before you buy a phone". Well, this is research, and it's making me doubt. Those people who don't do research and spend €500 - €600 on their N900s will likely be disappointed.

I don't think the N900 is horrible - but reports of people sending them back after a matter of days for a refund just shows how impatient people can be - but it does make you wonder who the N900 is supposed to target? Some people here insist that it is not a smartphone, due to having only basic phone features and therefore not going for the iphone/hero/palm pre market. Others don't see it competing with the internet tablet/netbook market due to the relatively small screen and small keyboard.

I had a brief play with a N900 in Helsinki, but have mostly used YouTube and this forum for my questions regarding the N900 - maybe I need to try one out again to convince me.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ UK, Manchester
Wow these threads are beginning to get me down. I think today will officially end my interest on n900 simply because of the uncontrolled noise on this forum.

I was looking for the next platform on which to move my whole company and was excited by the n900. Clearly that would a disastrous move for me right now.

I will end my visits here with this summary:

1. N900 is an very powerful and exciting device
2. N900 is fast becoming a marketing disaster for nokia
3. The real problems are not all of the bugs people are screaming about but the approach nokia took to develop the sw!

Clearly the community that developed this system in no way understood the very simple needs of their real stakeholders! They honestly thought this phone was just for them and are now insulted because people dare question design priority decisions!

It’s that attitude that has helped me decide. whatever fixes may or may not come in the next few months the many many users who are screaming need to understand. . . your screams will be heard but the community still think your mad! why . . . (said in an very echoing voice as I run down a very long corridor) . . . "because its not a f...ing phone " ha ha

The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
Wow these threads are beginning to get me down. I think today will officially end my interest on n900 simply because of the uncontrolled noise on this forum.

I was looking for the next platform on which to move my whole company and was excited by the n900. Clearly that would a disastrous move for me right now.

3. The real problems are not all of the bugs people are screaming about but the approach nokia took to develop the sw!

Clearly the community that developed this system in no way understood the very simple needs of their real stakeholders! They honestly thought this phone was just for them and are now insulted because people dare question design priority decisions!

It’s that attitude that has helped me decide. whatever fixes may or may not come in the next few months the many many users who are screaming need to understand. . . your screams will be heard but the community still think your mad! why . . . (said in an very echoing voice as I run down a very long corridor) . . . "because its not a f...ing phone " ha ha
Quite true, the tablet people see this as a tablet primarily. Us phone people, me coming from N95, see this as a device similar to that phone/mobile computer.

But as more of us come in here that tone will change and Nokia will have to give more and better efforts to fix this up and add the missing features.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post

fully agree this is not a phone that could be used in business unless you have several issues addressed. I will still keep my unit with expectations that something will be done in the next 2 months

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
what i don't understand is why someone would spend five hundred pounds on a device without doing some research first.
its a hell of a lot of money to waste if you dont need it
but there again i've been waiting for the n900 for about 2 years.
if there was a device that could do what the n900 could do i would have bought it before.
but there again people bought the iphone on mass....
but its "cool" the n900 isnt cool it does what it is supposed to very very well

a fool and his money are easily parted

(IMHO)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Absolutely do not buy the N900 as your company smartphone, unless carryng a mobile Linux computer is your personnels pockets is useful for your business.

No matter how much some people seem to expect and want it, the N900 was never ever going to launch as a consumer-level smartphone. Maemo still is a computer system first, phone second. Next generation is announced to balance things out.

Of course many of us hope N900 will gain more and more features through updates, but that's gravy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
As a seriously on-the-fence buyer of the N900, I can completely understand the disappointment expressed by others in the forums. I did plenty of research about the N900 before purchasing it (I actually had a good experience with Nokia USA) and still possess a Nokia 770, so I had some idea of what to expect, but I still find the N900 really lacking in execution. Now, that may be a good thing in that there is plenty of opportunity for improvement if Nokia (and the community, I suppose) can devote the resources to doing so.

What I really like about the device:
  • The screen is very nice and the resolution is wonderful.
  • Web browsing is speedy (although flash is still really not very good -- hopefully flash 10.1 will improve that) and very desktop like.
  • Multitasking is very good and doesn't seem to slow down the device.
  • Notifications are good.
  • Keyboard (like and dislike, actually. Like that it has one -- don't like the cramped nature of it and having to press multiple buttons for numbers and symbols).
What I don't like:
  • Form factor: The N900 would not win any beauty contests. It's not incredibly large, but is chunky and noticeably heaver than my Android phone.
  • Google synch. I would like to see a way to do this separate from Mail for Exchange or if this is the only option then I need support for multiple exchange accounts so that I can have work and google synching.
  • No multiple mail for exchange accounts (see above)?
  • Telephony features are not fully baked (Yes, I know it's not primarily a phone, but still a bummer). Others have expressed the flaws and they are valid comments that I hope Nokia will address soon with future updates.
  • I am occasionally experiencing random reboots. It's not frequent, but it is happening.
  • Many annoying UI issues. For example, WHO thought that having the browser zoom and volume control be the same button was a good idea? When viewing flash videos, I often want to adjust the volume BUT not the zoom. Now it seems that to do so I have to minimize the browser window and then adjust the volume and then maximize the browser window again. That's a lot of steps. Now there may be an easier way to do so, but it's certainly not obvious. There are many other annoying issues like this (someone, please let me know the best way express comments like this to the n900 developers, because it's not a bug, but it is quite frustrating).
  • Don't really like the mail client/features. They are basic, but nothing special. I am thankful for HTML mail, but find it rather slow.
  • GPS is very erratic. It's definitely not a quick or smooth as my other phones. I often have issues in getting a lock. Not very impressive at this point...
  • Battery life is poor I often only get about 4 hours of usage before having to recharge. Now, to be fair, I have probably been really giving the N900 a untypical workout, but, still, not stellar. S60 seems much better at this than Maemo, but again the good news is that there is much room for improvement.
  • Lack of applications (Yes, I know it's early in the game, but it's true and Yes, I have perused maemo extras and extras-testing...).

So, having said all that, will I keep my N900 or send it back? As I said above, I'm seriously on the fence. I definitely sense potential here. The browsing experience is superior to other devices out there with similar form factors. The multitasking is also superior to other comparable devices. The biggest problem with the N900 at this point is probably that the UI does not charm me and there are obvious missing pieces that will hopefully be addressed by Nokia in the near future. Also, there is nothing particularly special about other aspects of the device. I will say that Android (my primary phone) seems to be getting better by the moment (although Android has some performance issues, as well). I hope Nokia can also demonstrate the same ability to improve Maemo. Right now I would rate it a distant fourth in the UI race.

Summation:
  • N900 as the ultimate geek device (for Unix gurus, early adopters and developers)? On target!
  • N900 as a consumer friendly device to compete with iPhone, Android, Symbian and Palm? I whole heartedly suggest that you avoid it if that is what you are currently shopping for as it's not quite baked yet. Maybe with Maemo 6 it'll be ready for that.

I think I may keep my N900 and see what Nokia can deliver. My criteria for success will be getting to the point where I feel that I can forget my Android phone at home and just carry the N900 with me. At this point, I would do so very reluctantly. Nokia has a lot of catching up to do with maemo, in my evaluation. So, let the race begin... .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to karmicguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
A lot of nitpickin' over various missing features, bugs, etc. etc. in this thread. I wonder if anyone complaining tried using a very early G1/Android phone and if so, what they remember about that? I pretty much expected Android to be kinda raw and incomplete. It certainly was - and still is in many ways.

As for me, just got my N900. Still getting used to it and everything setup, installing apps etc. So far I can say 2 things...

1. No problems at all. Yes, the mic works, totally stable, very fast.
2. In a nutshell, the most amazing piece of technology I've ever held in my hand.

IOW, I'm both very happy and totally rocked. I'll post more detailed impressions later in an appropriate (positive) thread. The N900 is one cool tool. Makes an iPhone/OS-X or a G1/Android look like toys for boys.

Congratulations and many thanks to the Maemo community and Nokia for a truly revolutionary product.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
and how long to type 70 words on an n900?
Not as long as T-9 on an N95 and just a little faster than on my work-provided Blackberry.

And I think if the point is to convey information it is a fair trade off to take extra time to compose instead of forcing your intended audience to take extra time to listen. The only real downside to sending a text is that inflection is lost, so you'd better take extra time to make sure sarcasm (for example) is stated as such. But that's where emoticons and tags come in handy!

Tags
bluetooth, fanbois, idiot in noob clothing, noise, nokia n900, ring, screen