Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I'd like to have a

Get Home with public transportation widget. First of all, the user would enter the location (adress) of user's home. This info would then be stored in the widget. When started the widget would get the GPS data and feed the users current location to a web service (provided by the public transport authorities of the city in which the user lives) which would then suggest a public transportation method to go home. (For example, I live in Helsinki and the site to get the traffic info is http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/ I am sure that all the major cities have similar web sites).

Well, why the widget and not just use the web service directly with the browser? Because sometimes you might not know where you are and also not be in a condition to write the two addresses...

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@OVK : Wouldn't that be better implemented as an app?

I think widgets are either small apps that one uses multiple times daily, or displays certain infos that one would like to often see as she goes about\through the desktop.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

I'd love to see Foxytag implemented on N900. (http://www.foxytag.com/en/presentation.html)

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@OVK : Wouldn't that be better implemented as an app?
I don't think that an app would be needed. This would just launch the GPS and Browser and use their utilities. I see this widget as a small button that (after the first time when you use and choose the city you live in and feed the your home addres) you press and after some time the browser displays you a route home.

EDIT: But on the other hand I don't know where the line between a widget and an app is

Last edited by OVK; 2009-10-09 at 14:17.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Oh... you have no problem with your banking details and everything being accessable/stolen?

It's not that I don't like the idea. I just think it's *very* dangerous.

I've added it to the list anyways. (And in the cases that I haven't added them to the list, it's most likely because there already is a widget for that purpose.)
I know this is a top of paranoia to many - giving bank accounts to some online service - but I use MINT and I have actually provided all my bank account and trading accounts details to MINT and use MINT as an aggregator of my total finances. Its simply great !

Yes, can all my passowrd be stolen if MINT gets hacked - absolutely yes.
Maybe that day when all my money is stolen, I will setup a Paypal donation button guys

But till then I am throwing caution to the winds for the sake of convenience.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
From the link to the Widget UI design guidelines on the previous page, a widget:
* can only receive taps as input except in config mode
* should not resize
* should not occupy more than half the available display
* should present information in a manner that allow a user to take it in quickly

etc.

Re: using the calendar to populate the daily tasks widget. That's fine as an option, but i had intended it more as a place to keep those mundane things that don't even need calendar entries.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
A widget that runs flash player 9.4!
Think of the possibilities... I myself will port some of my vista-flash-gadgets to it.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Anybody notice the new widgets/apps on http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/applications/

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I'd love some "Notes" widget, something along the lines of:

like in Win Vista/7

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark
What I would really really like, is an maemo version of OSX's Nerdtool/Geektool. Its basically a transparent xterm that displays the output of a command/shellscript on the desktop. There should be an option to make it update at certain intervals.

I use Nerdtool on OSX to curl a webpage, collect the data that I need, make it readable and then output it on the desktop.

I dont think it would be that hard to make...

Geektool in action http://projects.tynsoe.org/en/geektool/ecrans.php

Tags
fremantle, requests, widgets