Active Topics

DO NOT CHARGE FIRST THEN TURN ON YOUR N900!
Why? I don't think the charger has anything to do with it. Some people said they charged it before turning it on, and their microphone is dead, and others (like me) didn't charge it and the microphone is still dead.

And why would a charger break the microphone, and ONLY the microphone? Doesn't make any sense.

I'm not a betting man, but in this case I would be willing to bet a substantial amount of money on saying that charging the device first will have nothing at all to do with the mic problem. So, you should charge it before using it, thus nicely avoiding the risk of a dead battery before you're even started (and that is a tricky one to get out of, as I posted earlier).

Originally Posted by FC_ View Post
Why? I don't think the charger has anything to do with it. Some people said they charged it before turning it on, and their microphone is dead, and others (like me) didn't charge it and the microphone is still dead.

And why would a charger break the microphone, and ONLY the microphone? Doesn't make any sense.
I'm just trying pin point the issue and this seems like the cause from what people been reporting (all I've talked to with defected mic had charged up before turning on for the first time)

Well when yours come, charge it for a while then turn on and call. Prove me wrong

I would go as far as earthing yourself by touching the radiator before you touch your N900. Why do you think the tech guys (fixing laptops etc) wear those equipments to earth themself?

Considering the N900 mainly made of plastic, rather be safe than sorry mate.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-26 at 17:15.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South east, UK
My one also has the problem

sn# 015444

was charged for an hour before turning on cus i had to go out, if it helps.

hmmm static electricity
brought my memory back to the school days doing this experience
how they asked us to step on a bunch of plastic trays then touch the 'magic ball'

plastic trays you say? isn't the N900 mainly made of plastic? no metal on the body i believe
hmm could static electricity build up and n900 issues be related?

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-11-26 at 17:31.

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Why do you think the tech guys (fixing laptops etc) wear those equipments to earth themself?
Most of us don't

I would say the microphone problem hasn't got ANYTHING to do with charging, or static.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Why's everyone making it so complicated?

Never heard of a defect product? :S

Originally Posted by God View Post

Finally, someone with sense!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Richmond, UK
I haven't got the actual device yet (still waiting my pre-order from MPD) so I don't know what programs are available, but someone mentioned alsamixer.

Could you check to see if 'alsaconf' is also available, if it is then someone with a defective mic, try to run 'alsaconf' as a root user to see if it's just an alsa configuration problem.

Last edited by ddracopo; 2009-11-26 at 17:53.

Originally Posted by God View Post

EXACTLY . ONLY stupid people think of something like "charge the phone 1st and you'll mess it up or your phone got "electricshock" from your body" . What on earth are you talking about. Those have nothing to do with N900 issues. IT IS A DEFECT UNIT. They ALWAYS recommend you to fully charge your phone before using it, IDIOTS.

The Following User Says Thank You to xitrum For This Useful Post:

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio