Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Let's say that it is true. But what Snapdeal gets out from it? What are other possible revenues from Jolla? Snapdeal is private, right? So, maybe the owner(s) likes the idea behind Jolla and he has and is willing to spare some cash to make it happen. Or maybe he (them) invested in Jolla itself so this is the way to make something out of it, offering phone for a low (or not) price to make it maybe at least a bit interest to people in India.
Or maybe Jolla was overcharging EU customers x5 from the begining? Very unlikely unles they ordered some 10+M of phones in advance.
Or maybe Snapdeal ordered a whole manufacturing-batch of devices from Jolla, getting a hefty mass-discount?
(how many devices in a batch? 10k? 25k?)

What we do know is that we don't know anything why it it like it is now. But also, whoever from EU was/is interested in Jolla and is aware of this probably feels stupid now and won't jump the gun.
How does that translate...? I mean, at least for me it's easiest to go to Verkkokauppa or Expert and buy one right now If I'd need another.
I rather not mail-order something from India just to get it cheaper and have it come to me slow, added with taxes & mailing costs

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Or maybe Snapdeal ordered a whole manufacturing-batch of devices from Jolla, getting a hefty mass-discount?
(how many devices in a batch? 10k? 25k?)
That also sounds likely. That would also explain why there was a last-minute delay in the India launch because maybe the batch was so big that something caused it to delay it. Has happened to other phone manufacturers as well.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Let's say that it is true. But what Snapdeal gets out from it?
Recognition? It's not like this whole Jolla discount didn't give them any media attention. In fact, because the community spreads the word we are talking about it right now. Snapdeal helping 'the new guy' out actually does help them get media attention which in turn is good for their profits and it also provides them with a positive 'face' as the community (and soon-to-be members of the community) likes what Snapdeal's doing.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
* So like Jolla are offering their phone at a 'discount' in the Indian market, or how it is running at a 'discount' relative to its launch price in Europe? I don't see what your point is.
We were talking about *Apple* discounting.

* Sure, but it feels and looks painfully cheap and out-dated. The battery fit issues that plague the phone are fairly unprecedented, in my experience. As for the Motorola G, it's always been priced at and marketed as a budget phone, something the Jolla hasn't.
I disagree. It doesn't feel cheap and outdated. I love the design and it's plenty fast enough. I've never had any battery fit issues and many others haven't either. The price of the Jolla is more than you'd expect for the spec coming from a big company like Motorola looking to grab market share, but it's not by Motorola. Why are you surprised by this?

The loudest voices in the community shouting that low quality or hobby level specs / quality of manufacture are the best thing ever, and anything else is stupid, is hardly very productive.
Many people disagree that they are low quality or hobby level specs but in any case, what I'm trying to get across is that the specs aren't important. The reason to buy a Jolla isn't in the hardware specs. It's in the software and what it represents. If it's just about the hardware then by all means buy some cheap Chinese device with wonderful specs and Android - it'll be cheaper, have more features and an already established ecosystem.

People simply don't want to pay for devices that look bad, feel bad, are low specced, and uncompetitively priced on top of all of this, when they're already being asked to overlook the early state of the OS and lack of features and bugginess.
'Some' people do.

I know several active Linux enthusiasts who use it exclusively on PCs, develop Qt applications and who also laughed at what they thought was a "ghastly looking" phone, and on closer examination / playing with it labelled it a hobby device ... which it pretty much is at this stage.
That is IMHO encouraging if 'Linux enthusiasts' think it's "ghastly looking" but then I'm a Mac user and we have unalienable taste and style. Wouldn't it be awful if everyone had the same taste. I'm also quite happy with it being a work in progress. Sometimes I'll kvetch about how quickly that progress is but if you accept it's a work in progress you can either support that or not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
the reason for the pricecut could be the competition from flipkart. Today in the morning the 2TB external harddisk was offered for mere $10, galaxy tab2 for $17 on flipkart. I saw it in the todays newspaper. I exactly dont know the full details.
there is a possibility of a great discount on jolla phone because we have Diwali this month. The greatest festival of the hindus, so just wait and watch.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Head smack.
Geez..living on the island is pretty durn quiet at times....
Forgot completely about Diwali !
yeah...huge over here on the mainland in Vancouver ...
Lot of the city gets shutdown with all the festivities ...
Almost as big a celebration as Oktoberfest in back in Kitchener.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-10-06 at 16:25.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Interesting - and perhaps indicative that those suggesting pricing is important are correct - Snapdeal are already offering a discount on their discount. The Jolla is down to 14499 rupees (€188)
I like the sound of that.

Originally Posted by DieHard View Post
Now priced Rs 16499 again.
Buuuuh

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
It was Hourly Offer due to ongoing Sell war between Flipkart and Snapdeal.
Today Fipkart came with some very exiting offers and tomorrow Snapdeal is coming their Diwali Bumber Sell scheme.
So don't be surprised if Jolla again shows Jaw dropping price tomorrow

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There has been talk about that in previous posts in this thread. I do not understand what you are talking about?
Consumer price has to be subjected to the general costs of each country, this is true whether you are selling hamburgers or DVD players, huh??
Also, there's no knowledge whether Snapdeal is carrying part of the cost of the device.

Have you actually ever held the device in your hand when you are loading out such b******t ?
I have had the device for almost a year in everyday use, and it is nothing like that...
As for "battery problems", there are load of that kind of thing on Lumias, for example, which are truly cheaply made.
I have had none of those on my Jolla device, sorry

You are wrong, most of the people are very satisfied with their device.

You must be living in a really strange place, if you think like that?

hmm, I dont
Must be my circle of people are somehow different

No comment there.
You take most of what I say out of context; replies to someone else's previous post - which I quoted. Therefore some of what you say is not really worth responding to. The rest seems to be the usual mix of outrage, denial and ad hominem which corresponds with any criticism of the Jolla or Sailfish.

But, yes, fortunately or unfortunately I do own a Jolla device. I consider it to be of a fairly poor quality, and people's reaction to it, whether iphone fanboy or Linux beardie has generally been that it looks and feels bad and seems old fashioned. I can't say that I disagree with these sentiments. I'd be shocked if battery fit issues were quite as bad with the Lumias, especially since most of them have non-removable batteries, but as I have no experience with them I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

All but one of the Linux enthusiasts / coders / app-writers I know are getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 when it's released. Why? It offers a large, high resolution screen that's far easier to work on when away from the desk, and an all day battery. This despite some of them despising Google or not liking Android. The lone exception is retaining an iphone because the company they work for does most of their business through iOS apps and it's not convenient for them to use anything else as their primary device. Even the guy who primarily uses obscure command-line only (no GUI) Linux distros for his work and hobby projects is getting one. At first I was amazed that they were all stampeding towards such a large, unwieldy and very expensive device (some of them are very tight with money) ... but it makes perfect sense from a usability and productivity standpoint. The current Jolla phone is anything but a coder's friend in the current marketplace.

If so many of the people who've bought Jollas are so satisfied, how do you explain the minimal numbers of app downloads? If we are to assume that there have definitely been 10k sales, there is no other way to explain it but an extremely high rate of attrition or abandonment, or non-primary / occasional device use. Many of the voices that were active pre-launch or post launch here (or on together.jolla) have completely disappeared or have moved on. If everyone's a happy customer, surely there'd be way more downloads and way more activity? There simply isn't, however.

P.S. The Jolla dropped out of Snapdeal's top 200 best selling smartphones over the weekend.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-10-06 at 18:15.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Just for context bluefoot, the Note 4 costs over twice the price of the Jolla and the iPhone 6 is just under twice the price in the UK.

I don't think Jolla can win with you. You're arguing that the price needs to come down but also that your circle of friends/colleagues wouldn't buy one anyway because they want high end devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: