Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by hurth3x View Post
I’ve had the USA N900 for about 4 months now. I’ve been very careful in removing power adapters and usb cables from the phone. I am unable to charge anymore from the power adapter that came with the N900, but I still am able to use the usb cable to charge. I bought a 3rd party car charger and it is ify to charge the phone. I have to plug it in and out a few times to get the N900 to recognize(I believe this is a known problem but I am afraid of the stress it might cause by plugging in and out). I have not filed the prongs on any cord yet. I believe I will now. I will try another power adapter to see if its just bad, however I am very worried and concerned that the microusb connector might go bad and be removed. And if Nokia does not repair it if its still in warranty, they will lose another customer who is not willing to pay $600 on a phone and future phones that seems to be dwindling in official support and fixes.
I have the same problem except that my N900 says it is charging when plugged into the mains, but it isn't and then dies on me a few hours later. The only way I have found is to charge from a computer and to have a backup battery with me at all times.

If anyone has had similar problems and has found a fix without returning to Nokia, please reply!!

Thanks.

OK, this finally happened to me today
I have been looking but I cannot find a link to where Nokia have admitted the problem. If anyone could reply with that I would be eternally gratefull. thank you
Then I can print that off and take it to the Nokia repair people, just incase there aer any arguments. They were OK before when replacing the kickstand ( I am sure it arrived in the box with that broken).
Is it true that all the date will need to be wiped, including the emmc? If that is the case then I will need to somehow bluetooth all of the data to my wife's laptop. That could take HOURS, and drain the battery, and I only have a very painful method of chargin the thing now.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
OK, this finally happened to me today
I have been looking but I cannot find a link to where Nokia have admitted the problem. If anyone could reply with that I would be eternally gratefull. thank you
See http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ces/bd-p/maemo - there's a stickied thread about the USB issue.

Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
Is it true that all the date will need to be wiped, including the emmc? If that is the case then I will need to somehow bluetooth all of the data to my wife's laptop. That could take HOURS, and drain the battery, and I only have a very painful method of chargin the thing now.
Most likely, yes - they may resolder the part, but I think a replacement is more common. If you have a memory card, you can copy the data over to that instead of using bluetooth though - that'd be much faster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Thanks for that info.
Only got a 2gb memory card, which is currently being used for android stuff anyway. i'll have to work something out. At least I've got ways of backing stuff up, which many people in this situation won't have.

If anyone is interested, my method for charging the battery was to take it out and push it connectors against the connectors of an old nokia e65. It wont fit all the way in, so it either has to be held in place or balnced just right with something on top of it to keep it in place.
It's probably not the best thing you can do to it, but at least it charges it.Still haven't contacted nokia yet due to being at work.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I recieved my phone back today from nokia after handing it in a care point at london.

All is well - They have given me a new handset (although I think the back cover is the same). Just send it in and hope it hasn't been regarded as physical damage!

Hope all goes well for you all!
p.s It took 7 days to get my phone back

I dropped my n900 off at a nokia repair centre on tues 21st and they sent it away to be repaired and was quoted 7-10 days turn-around.
I was told i would not be charged for the repair and even if nokia charged the 20.00 repair fee the nokia repair centre would waiver the fee.

I too was charging my n900 battery with another phone i used my old n95 8gb it connects to the terminals but it is too big so it sits in at an angle worked fine though.

I am using an old n96 and its like having a kiddies toy in my hand but its in good nick and does a reasonably good job as a replacement.
The OS is shockingly slow though, oh and the web browsing even through wifi is slow and navigating around the web pages is aaaagghhh.....slow and writing in forums is awkward and the main thing texting wow sifting through all those text to find the person you have been chatting too just keep up to date with the conversation.

Apart from that thank god i kept my n96 if not i would be using a nokia 6230.

EDIT

The reason i said the 6230 and not the n95 8gb as a back up / back up phone is that the n95 8gb screen has gone but works fine with TV out. (and charging of course)

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-09-22 at 23:37.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
I too was charging my n900 battery with another phone i used my old n95 8gb it connects to the terminals but it is too big so it sits in at an angle worked fine though.

Is this safe? I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by Clubberlang View Post
Is this safe? I am thinking of doing the same thing.
Yeah...the n900 battery has 3 pins and the n95 8gb has 3 pins just push the battery in so all the pins are aligned up and you will hear the n95 8gb beep, this indicates the battery has connected and charging.
Leave the battery resting in the n95 8gb at an angle and all will be fine.

**IF YOU TRY THIS AND IT CATCHES FIRE OR BREAKS YOUR PHONE OR BATTERY PLEASE DO NOT BLAME ME. YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK***

On a serious note it worked for me and is quite safe.

well I filled in a repair request yesterday on the nokia uk website and it says I am still under warranty then takes you through an automated process where you put your address in etc. At the end it just says send us the device and we'll fix it then return it. It doesn't really say anywhere 'ok yeah, that particular problem is covered, that will be done free of charge'. It seems to be assuming that when they get it and examine it they will just fix whatever is wrong. Theoretically I could try hammering nails in with the screen then fill in one of those online forms. When it checks to see if I am still covered then it will say yes and I could send it in. There MUST be some sort of other check that goes on at their end. Does anybody know? I did ask the question in the description of the problem, so I don't want to send it off until they have responded and I have also started backing stuff up via bluetooth, which is about the only method I have so wont send it off until that is done.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Wolverhampton
Well should have my n900 back tomorrow, Nokia have said it has been repaired and shipped. Not bad will be a total of 4days ; ) ....... just hope its a shiny new one.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty