Originally Posted by wred_e View Post
What is the recommendation for a filebrowser/manager? The android file managers I've tried will only show the sd-card.
I use ES File Explorer and it has access up to root. It just opens up showing sdcard/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
@wred_e
There is a native one(alpha!). Discovered by @bundyo
Read more here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1393678
Install:
Code:
pkcon install jolla-fileman

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
Someone apparently installed some Android launcher:

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y5tf.png
That would be me. Funny to see my photo here.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, you can. It's just another Android app. But the Home button (which Home button?) won't take you back to it. So what's the point of running an Android launcher on Sailfish, except maybe for running widgets?
"Back" buttones takes you back to the launcher if you open the launcher first from Sailfish, and then apps from the launcher. Also, you can go back to the launcher with "switch app" button or whatever is called (never used android before).

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
He installed an interesting ambiance as well
Haha yeah Black picture with one colour makes pretty nice ambience.

About the launcher, it is GO Launcher EX
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....go.launcherex

Works flawlessly. I removed all the useless crap and ended up with only one page to launch the apps from. At the moment, while native apps are lacking, I'm spending 90% of my time inside the android emulator and just go back to Sailfish to make calls, check time, check calendar etc.

Last edited by parasemic; 2013-12-14 at 15:57.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by att View Post
See the previous post

64GB microSD cards are actually SDXC cards so they require reformatting to use some other filesystem than exFAT. If I remember correctly some people in this thread have reported that SDXC cards formatted with ext4 work with Jolla.
Thanks. I missed that post.

Good news.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by casl View Post
Terminal keyboard layout/colouring does not follow Sailfish OS's UI at all. Why is there no consistency here?
Third party software and originally written for N9/N950.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by parasemic View Post
I use ES File Explorer and it has access up to root. It just opens up showing sdcard/
But the actual microSD card is in another location and apparently apps can't access it Or at least I can't find it with any Android app.

Had to restart my phone today, wifi and 3g stopped working. Also, is it just me or does facebook and twitter never update on their own? Only if you manually press update?

Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
But the actual microSD card is in another location and apparently apps can't access it Or at least I can't find it with any Android app.
That is because Jolla uses systemd convention to mount auxiliary storage devices to "logged in" user's /run/user directory (in this case /run/user/100000) and that directory is protected from other user's on the system. Sailfish processes and apps run under nemo user (uid 100000) and Android apps run as another users (no usernames on /etc/passwd).

/run is "virtual" filesystem (tmpfs) so it doesn't survive booting. You can try to give other users access the nemo's /run/user directory but it needs to be done again after boot or put in the system's startup scripts. This might have some negative security effects.

More safe way might be this:

devel-su
mkdir /home/nemo/sdcard
mount -o bind /run/user/100000/media/sdcard /home/nemo/sdcard

After that SD card is available as /home/nemo/sdcard for all apps including Android. This needs also to be done again after booting. This seems to work. I tested it with FBReader's Android version.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-14 at 17:47.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
While a nice idea... it breaks the UI paradigm. The device is supposed to be fully usable w/one hand. This usually means 1 finger (since it takes 3 and thumb to support it in hand).

2 finger swipes make more sense not in conventional usage, but for extended usage in specific contexts.
Which touchscreen device is really usable with one hand?
certainly not any one with a larger 4 inch display (try to reach the upper left corner of the screen with your right thumb - it's not something you even try getting used to).
And you did say *fully* usable with one hand, right?
I see that working only as long as neither typing nor browsing is involved. pinch-to-zoom with just one hand? please show me! How many people do you ever see typing with one hand (i.e. the same hand they are holding the device with)?
Be honest: If your messages are longer than one phrase, you usually bother to employ the second hand as well, or postpone the typing to a situation where you have both hands available: true or false?
To me, completely one-handed usage of phones died with touchscreens (maybe due to the fact that my first touchscreen device was a N900 - but my next one, C7, is in no way better suited)...

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
What kinds of privacy settings does the browser allow? What kinds do the maps/GPS allow? Are there privacy settings showing but not working? Are there settings not present where there would usually be?
Haven't noticed anything else than "Clear private data" in Browser's settings.

When web page wants an access to GPS Browser app asks permission from the user.

Take a picture, save it. Edit it. Can you undo the edit? Is the original able to be saved apart from the edit?
Can't find any edit functionality in Gallery app.

Edit: in Camera app, but Gallery app has. See later post by Rauha.

What kinds of accessibility features are available? Contrast, font sizes, haptic feedback, etc.? What's missing? Can you figure out where you are on the device, if you started from the home screen, without looking or while squinting and the device is an arm's length away?
Brightness level
Brightness: Adjust automatically
Vibration for sounds
Touch screen vibration

No UI for font size settings.

Pulley menus are useable without seeing the screen if you remember the choices and their order for that screen/view/app.

Given the techie/open source bent, and even though there is no file manager app by default: how does the system handle ZIP/RAR/TAR files which come from downloads or being sent (Bluetooth, email, etc)? Can you view/extract the archive? Are you able to navigate to what you unpacked after its uncompressed? Are there processes which run/hang when you try to uncompress or view these kinds of compressed files?
Tapping downloaded tar.gz didn't open it.

On Terminal app you can find tar, gzip, bzip2 and unzip. There's no unrar or rar.

Last edited by att; 2013-12-14 at 21:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Be honest: If your messages are longer than one phrase, you usually bother to employ the second hand as well, or postpone the typing to a situation where you have both hands available: true or false?
Just my 2 cents. WIth a swype-like keyboard, which I use on my N9, I can easily type one handed even very long messages. Not as easy for all the other possible use cases though.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience