Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

As I am running out of my minutes, I would like to use Google Voice for local US calls as it is free.

So I registered on google voice and got a number. Now I have installed "Dial central" and logged in with my GV username and password. It picked up my GV number automatically. I also entered the call back number to my mobile.

So if I dial any US number , it rings on my mobile. That confuses me. If i remove the call back number, I am unable to make any outgoing calls using my data ( like VOIP).

I am sure i am doing something wrong here. Could you please explain me how i can make outbound calls ( just i make free calls from google voice dialer on my browser).

Thanks again.
Google Voice is not a SIP service and requires a regular telephone number to connect to. For me, I use a free SIP service that provides one (sipgate) and have configured that as my callback number.

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by epage View Post
Strange, it is using a different icon size between releases. I guess I could just remove that size...
I thought the icon in that list came from the base64 encoding... no?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

As I am running out of my minutes, I would like to use Google Voice for local US calls as it is free.

So I registered on google voice and got a number. Now I have installed "Dial central" and logged in with my GV username and password. It picked up my GV number automatically. I also entered the call back number to my mobile.

So if I dial any US number , it rings on my mobile. That confuses me. If i remove the call back number, I am unable to make any outgoing calls using my data ( like VOIP).

I am sure i am doing something wrong here. Could you please explain me how i can make outbound calls ( just i make free calls from google voice dialer on my browser).

Thanks again.
Have you configured your Google voice settings (using a browser) so that it knows your VOIP phone number?
Assuming you've done that, enter that VOIP phone number as your callback number.

When DC initiates a call, Google Voice will call back the callback number you have entered. From what you have said, that number is currently your mobile number. so it will call your mobile and use up your minutes.

Set up the VOIP number and enjoy free minutes.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
The icon used for Shortcuts, launcher, desktop, etc is the icon one installs and not the package icon. I install several sizes which allows the system to determine the most appropriately sized for to minimize scaling, and in this case, ignore it.

That was your 1500th thanks! Awesome!!

When DC initiates a call, Google Voice will call back the callback number you have entered. From what you have said, that number is currently your mobile number. so it will call your mobile and use up your minutes.

Set up the VOIP number and enjoy free minutes.
Thanks, I am trying to achieve the same thing as noted by you. I am trying to get free minutes using my data.

In the call back list I am unable to enter any numbers, it gives me only 3 options.

1. Not set
2. 200-4-Google Talk
3. my mobile number

There is no option for me enter any other number as call back number on DC.

could you please explain the steps if you don't mind please?

Thanks, I am trying to achieve the same thing as noted by you. I am trying to get free minutes using my data.

In the call back list I am unable to enter any numbers, it gives me only 3 options.

1. Not set
2. 200-4-Google Talk
3. my mobile number

Dial Central obtains the callback numbers from your Google Voice account. Here is what you need to do

1. Obtain a voip incoming number (i will assume sipgate)
2. Connect to sipgate using the built-in sip client
3. Log on to GV and add the sipgate number to the "forwarded phones"
4. You may want to log out of GV.
5. Launch Dial Central. You should see the new number in the call back options.

cheers,
-m

To Ed:
Installing qnaap solved my "play voicemail" problem. Perhaps leave the dependency as is, and add a note on the dial central wiki regarding it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voip_wire For This Useful Post:

1. Not set
2. 200-4-Google Talk
3. my mobile number

Ok lets try again:
Have you configured any voip on your n900?
If yes, did that voip provider give you a phone number?
If not, then first you need to get a number for your voip service.

Once you have that, open a browser on your desktop machine, log into Google Voice, click the settings icon (a gearwheel), click "Voice Settings".

On the Phones tab, there should be a link that says "Add another phone".

Click it. Enter the phone number of your voip service. Follow the prompts and save.

Now, back on your n900, close DC if it's open, and open it again.
Go to the callbacks settings. You should now see the number that you entered into the Google Voice settings.
Select it.
Make a test call.
???
Profit!

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
That was your 1500th thanks! Awesome!!
Wow, though it was pretty slick when I had a 1:1 post:thanks ratio.

1. Not set
2. 200-4-Google Talk
3. my mobile number

Yeah, I used to allow entering of a custom callback number but lost it in the Qt port due to problems with Qt. I also hadn't tested it out all that much so I don't know remember if it even worked or if it did if it still works (since usually google liked that information confirmed so you don't prank call people).

Originally Posted by voip_wire View Post
To Ed:
Installing qnaap solved my "play voicemail" problem. Perhaps leave the dependency as is, and add a note on the dial central wiki regarding it?
I had fixed it, I don't know in what build but the weird thing is that I just noticed that I had 1.2.X in extras-testing when all this time I thought I had 1.3.X. Maybe the fix was the -1 on 1.3.5-1.

Ok lets try again:
Have you configured any voip on your n900?
If yes, did that voip provider give you a phone number?
If not, then first you need to get a number for your voip service.

Once you have that, open a browser on your desktop machine, log into Google Voice, click the settings icon (a gearwheel), click "Voice Settings".

On the Phones tab, there should be a link that says "Add another phone".

Click it. Enter the phone number of your voip service. Follow the prompts and save.

Now, back on your n900, close DC if it's open, and open it again.
Go to the callbacks settings. You should now see the number that you entered into the Google Voice settings.
Select it.
Make a test call.
???
Profit!
Thanks to all. Now I clearly i understand.

Now the search for a free VOIP number starts , i looked at sipgate but their website says they ran out of numbers.

I am also looking at Google but suggest me any website where i can register and get a free voip number.

Again thanks a lot for all your time and explaining me.

Regards

Hi uvatbc / epage / Anyone,

I got my sip account and got it created. Also i got a USA number from ipkall.org and mapped wit with my GV. But for verification from GV when i call my new number ( which i got from ipkall) , i am just a getting a miissed call. What could be the problem ? it never rings on my n900 , but i see a missed call immediately.

On a Separate note, how can i make a test call using SIP to echo@iptel.org. If i open my dialling pad i can enter only numbers , also in the drop down i see only cellular or skype and nothing else.

Can you guys please help ? I know it is not related to DC but i thought you guys might be able to help me out.

Thanks.