Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
We're enthusiasts. We'll buy a phone because it has a Linux kernel on it. Not that it means it's better. Or that it's great. But because of that one fact sometimes. And we're a percentage of a percentage, small change.
It's sad because it's true.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Also work in the technical field and most with smartphones have an android phone now. Some have an iphone. One has a nokia n8. From what I know most android buyers are not enthusiasts, they just buy android cause there is no other alternative to the iphone. And a lot of people don't even consider nokia to be a player, because they weren't smartphone buyers at the time nokia was king. Still I know people who bought smartphones before the iphone, and I guess they'd be willing to come back to nokia if they'd offer a compelling device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Here's what I don't personally get. I totally understand the unwillingness to embrace technology that you determine is inferior or doesn't suit your needs; however to do that without any usage and/or prior knowledge other than hearsay is rather odd. If you're going to be skeptical, then back it up with research.

I don't quite get it because if somebody says something against your platform of choice, people have a very quick tendency to state "You didn't do your research!" first.

I'm not saying go out, buy everything out there. But at least be able to knowledgeable discuss why you don't like things and why you hadn't looked at it. Otherwise, if you get pushed aside because your rhetoric is easily found repeated ad nauseum at slashdot.org, then folks will dismiss your contribution as a reviewer they'd pay attention to as well. Fanboys, early adopters and FOSS loyalists (not the ones that freely download never contribute, they don't matter mostly anyway) make up a very small buying metric out there.

We're enthusiasts. We'll buy a phone because it has a Linux kernel on it. Not that it means it's better. Or that it's great. But because of that one fact sometimes. And we're a percentage of a percentage, small change.

Ask Nokia.

Do your research. It doesn't hurt.
Yea, I'm quite agreeing with you on most points. Dissing competitors is rather immature. I don't much see the need for that, as I was saying what little I know of WP7 it does have potential and afaik it's even gotten rather positive reviews.

After Nokias announcement I was doing lot of soul searching and was even considering giving WP7 development a shot (I know!! *shiver*), but then in the end I realized they don't have SDK for Linux anyway and in every way it's concentrated around their own product portfolio, so I just don't see the point trying to force myself into that mold even if the product was awesome.

And I don't think that makes me better than those hundreds of millions that fits in it perfectly, I just have different needs!

Anyways, dammit it's easy to get derailed off topic!! Sorry about that, now lets get back to N9 gossip

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PortaDiFerro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro View Post
Yea, I'm quite agreeing with you on most points. Dissing competitors is rather immature. I don't much see the need for that, as I was saying what little I know of WP7 it does have potential and afaik it's even gotten rather positive reviews.
Just to clarify, I wasn't really pointing you out despite quoting you. It was just an odd thing I had been wanted to address.

Not that opinion is bad - hell, feel free. I just... had to point it out.

But to say something... with a WP7 phone, the positive reviews are mostly due to the perceived quickness in the UI. I can say that's somewhat true, but it's not exactly a bug-free experience.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Hey, wake up!

Why do not you let things be? Upcoming iPhone, WP7 and Android phones will not prevent success in the N9.

Let us wait for the end of September in peace.

Use the Force

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
The days of announcing and waiting need to be over. By September, there will be a confirmed release of iOS 5, Google Ice Cream will have been shown, MeeGo 1.3 will be nearing final and who knows what else will have been released or about to come out. Hell, Mango for WP7 will be almost out.

And by that time, my lust for even a N950 might have subsided if I can find a gadget that fits my needs and has availability to match.

Nokia's ****ing it up. Again.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Hey, wake up!
Don't you mean, "Hey, we'll wake you when it's really here."?

Why do not you let things be?
Best sentence/question ever.

Upcoming iPhone, WP7 and Android phones will not prevent success in the N9.
Thanks.

You need to beg. You're not begging.

Use the Force
Always.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Hey, wake up!

Why do not you let things be? Upcoming iPhone, WP7 and Android phones will not prevent success in the N9.

Use the Force
Agreed. The N9 itself will prevent the success in the N9, the rest juat provide the competition to it. :P

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
and that is one of the most stupid thing about n9 why the **** is this not included?
that could be a good sell argument. even E7 has it
I guess there was some stupid people behind this I am sure they could include it and even that it is on the board but not included in the endline cause then it would be better than upcoming WPsuckphone
Abbra's confirmed that MHL's not implemented.
But I still hope that one day MHL will be do-able through a license + fw update, that enables it in the necessary hardware, which is already there.
Wishful thinking but one can dream.... sigh

Originally Posted by Tiptronic View Post
-X7 looks way better
-No real keyboard
That's it?
Has a keyboard so you think the X7's better than the N9?
I'm not sure how "overall" you see the X7 as "better"
What about the OS & other aspect of the hardware?

-Doesn't look handier then maemo
Not sure what you mean, Harmattan's still very much Maemo...
Plus there's plans afoot to tweak all of the big UI changes from maemo5, so we can switch back to older(better) paradigms if we want.
But overall the UI changes are vastly better (at least for a handset) IMO.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Dual core and better graphics certainly would not hurt for some applications. But its ok as long as they don't try to make is as expensive as an iPhone. I'll buy it anyway, but for other people that is an issue.
Yeah if they price it similarly to iP5 (even iP4) they're sunk.
Only Apple can get away with "priceyness" & have people believe it's a bargain.
But they will price it stupidly, because they don't "really" want it to be successful.
I'll still buy it so long as it's not "super crazy" pricing, & so long as it's local by 30/09.
Any later and I'm done with Nokia...

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I'm wondering if a better strategy for NOKIA would have been to,ok, swap symbian with windows and, I hate to say it, swap maemo/meego with android
Or they could stop ignoring Myriad, who've been trying to convince Nokia to license Alien Dalvik & integrate it.

Many Android users who've invested much time/$ into the android ecosystem...
Could be coerced into giving N9/Meego a go, if Nokia plugged Alien Dalvik really hard.
Have you guys read how well that thing works? It's bloody impressive...

But I'm convinced senior management don't want the N9 to be "too" successful, so they won't open that flood gate.
I also don't buy the argument that it'd mortally wound QT/apps if they did that...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-12 at 18:03.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The days of announcing and waiting need to be over. By September, there will be a confirmed release of iOS 5, Google Ice Cream will have been shown, MeeGo 1.3 will be nearing final and who knows what else will have been released or about to come out. Hell, Mango for WP7 will be almost out.
And by that time, my lust for even a N950 might have subsided if I can find a gadget that fits my needs and has availability to match.
Nokia's ****ing it up. Again.
Hallelujah, I don't think I've ever agreed with you more.
Nokia NEEDS TO DELIVER, time is srsly running out!!
In so many ways it has already really....

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Agreed. The N9 itself will prevent the success in the N9, the rest juat provide the competition to it. :P
ROFL

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????