Active Topics

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
I just added (hoping) all the requests made on this thread, m-fart and m-boobs may seem a little stupid to me too, but it may be the community likes so much to say to iphone users "we have them and nicer too" that I did not feel free to censure them
I think m-boobs, m-fart, came from my post, if not sorry, I intended that for a joke...
Maybe someone will like/need it.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Ok, fair enough it's what other people have requested M-Fart I can picture what that is .. yuck, M-Boobs... maybe something to do with shaking the accelerometer.. that could work!
Yes, m-Boobs probably has to do something with the accelerometer.
If you want a demonstration, just go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNu6WMfR1k

The Following User Says Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Is there some restriction on who can enter the competition? Nokia employees, subcontractors, Santa?

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Is there some restriction on who can enter the competition? Nokia employees, subcontractors, Santa?
Nothing so far, I haven't given it much thought tbh. I don't think it's necessary as the forum will be voting for the winners, what do you think?

Hmm thinking about it more, I guess there is a restriction on voters in that people have to be maemo.org forum members (in order to register their vote in the maemo.org poll, obviously). Apart from that nothing yet.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Originally Posted by timoph View Post
Uhm, maybe a restriction could exist... but I don't mind about it.

OTOH since this idea started from a community discussion would be better to leave this competition open only for the Maemo Community members (and newcomers), and not for Nokia employees etc etc.
Also for the prizes, if you win a sponsorship for the meego conference in Dublin and you are also a Nokia employee you'll get some conflicts, since (maybe) you could be already sponsored to join this conference by Nokia directly.

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
What about having a seperate Subforum for the Coding Competition(s)?

We could have a seperate threat for each Application to discuss about pro's and con's and suggest improvements.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by helex View Post
What about having a seperate Subforum for the Coding Competition(s)?

We could have a seperate threat for each Application to discuss about pro's and con's and suggest improvements.
I think that's a good idea but maybe more likely after this competition has run. If it's a success and it takes off, Im sure we could get a part of the site dedicated to coding competitions in the future. It's still a bit of an experiment at the moment, we got to prove that people are interested in more of this sort of thing

Your second idea would also be great after the competition to provide direction and constructive ideas to the developers to help make their app the best it can be. I dont think it would be a good idea to make it compulsory before the competition has ended, I want the developer to feel free to develop as it sees fit and some developers will instead feel pressured and maybe annoyed by that. Ofcourse there's nothing stopping those that want to from doing so - a lot of the projects in the wiki have project pages - maybe we'll have one for DreamMote+ too

Edit: Well what do you know... I just checked out the wiki and not only is DreamMote sitting there in participants, but you've also got a new project page for it *thumbs up*

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-24 at 20:56.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Edit: Well what do you know... I just checked out the wiki and not only is DreamMote sitting there in participants, but you've also got a new project page for it *thumbs up*
Yes, there is also a discussion about it. And I called it DreamRemote, not DreamMote.

But I'm not sure about the category I've chosen. Is it really a Multimedia application? It's about TV watching and recording. But only to control a external Hardware on your N900...

And yes, I got a project page. But I'm still at daggers drawn with the toolkit. In my optionion not easy to grasp.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Speak of the devil
http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...e-release-1-2/

WOOHOO!

"Slightly" disappointing that MeeGo wont be supported on N900........ But I'm not surprised

On another note, its nice to see the participants list fill up. We really need some promotion for this to make things more interesting... Can't compete for prizes like that with just 2 or 3 others! I'm gonna try to send a notice to a local (Czech) linux server and see if they would publish it...

While checking out the list, I noticed one of the apps, Flipclock 1.0, has been in development since 2008. I already feel biased, as its my direct competitor, but who is going to judge what is a significant update? I think it should be clearly stated by the author on the wiki, checked by an unbiased person and most importantly taken into account by the voters. Otherwise it doesn't seem too fair...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Makati, Philippines
How about social or Internet-related apps? Do they belong in the Other category? I'm developing a "better" tumblr app for Maemo (I said better because I already saw an old python script from a year ago, although I'm starting from scratch with Qt), and I'm at a loss at how to categorize this.

I'm also planning to develop another app (to increase my chances ), but I'll hold up on that one until I'm finish with the tumblr app.

Btw, I'm quite new with Qt (and Maemo development in general), so I'm wishing myself good luck on this. It's a good thing that Nokia finally releases PR1.2 today, so I can be comfortable with developing Qt 4.6 apps.

Good luck to everyone participating, and thanks to the people sponsoring this competition!

Last edited by JMacalinao; 2010-05-25 at 11:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to JMacalinao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JMacalinao View Post
How about social or Internet-related apps? Do they belong in the Other category? I'm developing a "better" tumblr app for Maemo (I said better because I already saw an old python script from a year ago, although I'm starting from scratch with Qt), and I'm at a loss at how to categorize this.
I will suppose it will go under "Other" category... but maybe we need another one category...

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post: