Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by GreyZeppelin View Post
@FreemanGordon

Code:
Nokia-N900-02-8:~# uname -r
2.6.28-omap1
On what firmware version are you? PR1.1? I would recommend an upgrade to 1.3.1 if that is the case.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
On what firmware version are you? PR1.1? I would recommend an upgrade to 1.3.1 if that is the case.
I'm sure I'm on PR 1.3 but is there anyway to be certain? I recall update the PR when I first got my N900.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by GreyZeppelin View Post
I'm sure I'm on PR 1.3 but is there anyway to be certain? I recall update the PR when I first got my N900.
Settings > About

Version: 21.2011.38 should be PR1.3.1

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

@GreyZeppelin, did you rebooted? Do you have multiboot installed?

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Good question pali! That just came to my mind when I read yesterday's posts e-mail, but you were faster.
I would also ask if possibly u-boot installed?
Boot with keyboard open or check via dpkg -l | grep boot

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-09-22 at 12:03.

multiboot is program which flashing some kernel when device is booted. so it can remove flashed kernel.

u-boot only loading kernel from device (emmc, sd card), so when you flash kernel, u-boot is deleted and nobody will not overwrite it.

in output from GreyZeppelin we can see that kernel-power *was* flashed into nand.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Yep, you are right from your point of view.
But I believ you are not using multiboot, right?
And I experienced that having once flashed a u-boot combined kernel, I could flash other Maemo kernels (with multiboot, so on device flashing) and u-boot was still available.
That was my reason to ask for u-boot too.

But if flashed kernel via USB, u-boot was gone and also having flashed another kernel like nitdroid or nemo erased u-boot. If you have a bit time to explain why this behaves differently?

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@peterleinchen,

U-boot can (for now only be installed in the kernel partition. Meaning the kernel proper has to be piggybacked on U-boot.

Multiboot flashes kernels. If the flashed kernel already contains U-boot, then you obviously continue to have U-boot.

So when you say "I could flash other Maemo kernels (with multiboot) and u-boot was still available" it means either you told multiboot to flash a kernel that itself included U-boot, or (unlikely) multiboot is doing some behind-the-scenes magic to append the kernel to an existing U-boot if found. Very unlikely.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
So when you say "I could flash other Maemo kernels (with multiboot) and u-boot was still available" it means either you told multiboot to flash a kernel that itself included U-boot, or (unlikely) multiboot is doing some behind-the-scenes magic to append the kernel to an existing U-boot if found. Very unlikely.
Sounds like vodoo, eh?
But exactly these are my experiences.
I flashed once a ....
oh wait
... gimme me a few minutes!

Oh, I really feel like the most foolish noob
Please excuse me for spreading nonsense.
I just rechecked that again and flashing standard omap kernel also vanishes u-boot (I had that the other way round in mind).
I will try to explain briefly:
I had multiboot with KP47 and I made a u-boot combined KP47 kernel. I added a new item for multiboot with foollowing entries:
ITEM_NAME="Maemo kernel-power 2.6.28.10-power47u-boot"
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28.10-power47u-boot"
ITEM_MODULES="ext3"
The experienced user will directly see my mistake.
Kernel name is/was of course "2.6.28.10-power47" for both of my kernels.
So my u-boot combined image did not really boot (kernel name different to given name), but I had to let multiboot start my old PK47 item. And the u-boot remained. Therefore I stated above, as I really thought u-boot had overcome the 'multiboot flash' (which indeed did not happen at all because of same kernel name).
When I changed to KP50 and edited my (multiboot) /sbin/preinit to get framebuffer and rescue console support, I analysed a bit more detailed that code and found my mistake.
I made that change:
Code:
		#peterleinchen
		#if [ -z "$KERNEL" -o "$KERNEL" == "$(uname -r)" ]
		if [ -z "$KERNEL" -o "$KERNEL" == "$(uname -r)" -o "$KERNEL" == "$(uname -r)u-boot" ]
(okay could also just have renamed ITEM_KERNEL) and then it worked/booted correctly. Of course still going back to plain KP will require flashing omap (nitdroid, ...) and then plain KP kernel, as uname -r is same. But mainly I use u-boot now (thanks pali).

I hope someone understood my "palaver".
And again:
Sorry.

-- the most embarassing point is I knew that already, but somehow my FIFO stack head overflow

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-09-24 at 07:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@sixwheeledbeast

Settings > About

Version: 21.2011.38 should be PR1.3.1
I checked and it's 21.2011.38-1.

@pali

Did you rebooted? Do you have multiboot installed?

In output from GreyZeppelin we can see that kernel-power *was* flashed into nand.
I reboot, turn off, still the same imap.

So it is installed?

Tags
bq2415x_charger, bq27200, kernel-power