Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
(EDIT: Mandor removed most of his post above. If you're curious as to what I'm talking about below, please see this post)

Mandor,

Honestly, most of those questions either can't be answered by Quim due to NDAs (eg Flash availability) or the complete lack of an answer at this point (eg the future Meego community structure), they have already been answered in the thread where you posted your questions, or in other threads here (eg RPM vs deb), or they're just snarky insults (eg customers as beta testers). If you read carefully, you'll be able to fill in most of that form yourself.

If you are still feeling in a helpful mood (that's how this community works), you could go over to wiki.maemo.org and set up a page with the answers you know, and then ask others to fill in what they know.

Last edited by qole; 2010-03-03 at 23:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
Frankly Qole, I don't care much about the list. I would like to see something happening following the discussion we had. That is all. I will edit my previous post accordingly.

So the question to the council remains.

Your point about the wiki is, of course, well taken.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
So the question to the council remains.
What is the significance of a council member beginning the process of compiling known information and open questions in the wiki as opposed to any other community member doing the same thing?

(qole: That's a question, not an answer, and therefore acceptable in this thread, right?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I am sorry to have bothered you all. I misunderstood the conclusions/suggestions of the "Cleaning N900 FUD" thread.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
No bother at all. And maybe I was the source of the confusion by suggesting to Quim that the council can help moderate certain discussions. If so, sorry for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Any questions for current candidates for the upcoming election?

Well, I will fire the first round if you don't mind.

I have seen comments from old-timers (or experienced users if you prefer) regarding the flood of new users joining Maemo.org after they bought the N900. Some feels that t.m.o doesn't feel the same as before because all we can read these days are posts asking for help to solve a problem and FUD posts

To put it in a sentence : t.m.o was a developers forum and now it's an after sale support forum.

A well know example (for those old enough) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Question 1 : What would you do to help new comers feel welcome and keep old timers around ? Or if you prefer, how would you build the bridge between new comers and old-timers so that everyone can share this site together and still find what they were looking for ?

Question 2 : What do you think end-users and developers should do / learn to help each other make t.m.o and Maemo better ?

PS: Please fell free to correct me if you feel I am wrong in any way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandor For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just want to pipe up as a member of the current not-dead-yet council that I think that the belief that talk.maemo.org changed completely when the flood of N900 users came is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Talk really hasn't changed a whole lot. It has always been very end-user oriented. But, like anyone who has imbibed a great deal in a short time, Talk is just more itself than ever before. This is like Talk with no inhibitions

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Well, I will fire the first round if you don't mind.

I have seen comments from old-timers (or experienced users if you prefer) regarding the flood of new users joining Maemo.org after they bought the N900. Some feels that t.m.o doesn't feel the same as before because all we can read these days are posts asking for help to solve a problem and FUD posts

To put it in a sentence : t.m.o was a developers forum and now it's an after sale support forum.

A well know example (for those old enough) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

Question 1 : What would you do to help new comers feel welcome and keep old timers around ? Or if you prefer, how would you build the bridge between new comers and old-timers so that everyone can share this site together and still find what they were looking for ?

Question 2 : What do you think end-users and developers should do / learn to help each other make t.m.o and Maemo better ?

PS: Please fell free to correct me if you feel I am wrong in any way.
1. What I've already done was start the successful Maemo Greeters, suggesting volunteers include helpful links in their signatures. I think that's helped "build the bridge". And I know it's a small thing, but I also spend time greeting newcomers in the Welcome thread under General. I would like to think even that little bits helps.

Old-timers just need to feel they're still relevant when things change. That can be tough. But there are plenty of projects so it could be a matter of making people feel welcome enough to help.

What I need to do more often is breathe deeply before replying to antagonistic posts. Newcomers don't need to walk into a hostile environment.

2. End-users and developers need to quit worrying about titles like "end-user" and "developer". We're all technology enthusiasts or we wouldn't be in this thing. Let's focus on what we have in common and also recognize that everyone has an important part to contribute regardless of their skills, likes, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
A summary I've seen frequently, but a very inaccurate one, unfortunately. Talk (formerly itT) was never particularly developer-oriented, but it was very much an enthusiast's forum, the population of pure end-users was nearly non-existent. It was a community of engaged users, not just developers.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I just want to pipe up as a member of the current not-dead-yet council that I think that the belief that talk.maemo.org changed completely when the flood of N900 users came is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Talk really hasn't changed a whole lot. It has always been very end-user oriented. But, like anyone who has imbibed a great deal in a short time, Talk is just more itself than ever before. This is like Talk with no inhibitions
I disagree, the focus on Talk has changed. The previous devices didn't do well in the maintsream market, and most of the traffic here came from engaged users. The N900 has much more mainstream appeal and with it it has brought with it a lot of pure end-users. They're not interested in sticking out for the long-term and they're not interested in contribution. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but Talk has changed, it's not the same place it was a year ago.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council