Active Topics

The N9 is already dead. Prices are cut in half now. That help sales, but most people rather get the Lumia 800 or the N8 instead. Judging by sales and popularity of Nokia phones right now, the situation is like this:

1 Lumia 800
2 N8
3,4,5... Some dead cheap Nokia dumb phones
6 or lower: N9

After Belle came, the N8 is so good that it altogether is the best Nokia, and hence the real Nokia Flagship. Most people have no idea of operating systems. They think Belle is some "Nokia Android" and live happily with the N8, taking beautiful pics and downloading tons of apps.

Personally I have grown tired of Swipe. A nice concept, but ultimately flawed because there is no way of organizing things. Belle is so much better, and so is WP in the long run.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by specc View Post
1 Lumia 800
2 N8
Where do you have these statistcs from?
If Lumia 800 sold better than N8, Nokia wouldn't be in the trouble they are, would they?

Apart from that, dead cheap Nokia devices still sell better than the N8 smartphone, which is rather expensive. It's for the dead cheap Nokia devices that Nokia is still around.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
The N9 is already dead. Prices are cut in half now. That help sales, but most people rather get the Lumia 800 or the N8 instead. Judging by sales and popularity of Nokia phones right now, the situation is like this:

1 Lumia 800
2 N8

After Belle came, the N8 is so good that it altogether is the best Nokia, and hence the real Nokia Flagship. Most people have no idea of operating systems. They think Belle is some "Nokia Android" and live happily with the N8, taking beautiful pics and downloading tons of apps.

Personally I have grown tired of Swipe. A nice concept, but ultimately flawed because there is no way of organizing things. Belle is so much better, and so is WP in the long run.
No ****, prices drop, they drop dramatically over time compared to launch price.
Your argument has little-to-no solid basis, try putting some 'meat on the bones'.
Instead of making sweeping statements that "x is better", "people prefer x more", or "x is selling much better".
Then people might actually respect your opinion....
I suspect the 800's selling better now or will very soon, & LT will be selling much better.
But that has less to do with it being vastly superior, & more to do with Maemo6x's predicament for the past yr+.

Anyway, I swore I wouldn't partake in this debate, so this is my last comment in this thread.
I effing hate these debates, I honestly don't understand their point, they serve no useful purpose.
I have been in many (very different) online communities over the years...
And never have I encountered one which so voraciously turns inwards in such negative ways & so regularly.
It's understandable to-some-extent, but in-the-end it's utterly pointless & of no value.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-26 at 21:28.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
If Lumia 800 sold better than N8, Nokia wouldn't be in the trouble they are, would they?

Apart from that, dead cheap Nokia devices still sell better than the N8 smartphone, which is rather expensive. It's for the dead cheap Nokia devices that Nokia is still around.
From Europe looking at online stores and "top 20" kind of stuff. Not very accurate, I know, but the big picture is good enough.

Big picture: N9 is going down rapidly, N8 is very much alive and Lumia 800 is selling well. The E7 is stone dead, and so are pretty much all the other Nokia smartphones, more so than the N9. The price of the N9 is being cut, and that helps, but it's too little too late. No one writes apps for it anymore. There may still be life, but I am not very optimistic, time is going too fast, and it is already old.

Besides Swipe UI has proven to be more annoying than pleasant. A concept that works well on paper, looks nice for shows, but is clumsy in real life. Strap Belle UI in the N9, and people might actually like it.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
From Europe looking at online stores and "top 20" kind of stuff. Not very accurate, I know, but the big picture is good enough.

Big picture: N9 is going down rapidly, N8 is very much alive and Lumia 800 is selling well. The E7 is stone dead, and so are pretty much all the other Nokia smartphones, more so than the N9. The price of the N9 is being cut, and that helps, but it's too little too late. No one writes apps for it anymore. There may still be life, but I am not very optimistic, time is going too fast, and it is already old.

Besides Swipe UI has proven to be more annoying than pleasant. A concept that works well on paper, looks nice for shows, but is clumsy in real life. Strap Belle UI in the N9, and people might actually like it.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
No ****, prices drop, they drop dramatically over time compared to launch price.
Not for devices selling well, and not that soon after launch, and not by so much. Look at the Galaxy SII. You can argue that launch price was way too high for the N9 (which you didn't), other than that you got no valid arguments.

No ****, the 800's officially available in the most important EU countries, whereas the N9's not.
Even in official launch countries availability's been poor the whole time (esp. the 1st mth+).
I know that from experience here in Australia, esp. the 64GB Black, & the White's still MIA.
And marketing died 2.5 months ago, after it had only been going for approx. 2.
And that was despite the fact that the Lumia's were still many months away...

You've still provided zilch substantial evidence to support your claim.

Besides Swipe UI has proven to be more annoying than pleasant.
A concept that works well on paper, looks nice for shows, but is clumsy in real life.
Strap Belle UI in the N9, and people might actually like it.
You have got to kidding me, seriously?
If anything that's one area that Maemo6x is better.
Why's it more "clumsy in real life" than Belle IYO?
You speak in vague terms....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-28 at 01:26. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Not for devices selling well, and not that soon after launch, and not by so much. Look at the Galaxy SII. You can argue that launch price was way too high for the N9 (which you didn't), other than that you got no valid arguments.
[Getting sucked into this, **** me, hope to be gone soon, plz dear God...]

Really, so you know how prices have been going for every market in the world do you?
I'd say you wouldn't be able to authoritatively say what's happening in the EU, let alone remaining markets.
And even if you can it's a flawed argument; device selling better does not directly translate to device is better.

I can say from my experience here in Australia, that the SGSII did drop dramatically from launch price.
And the time over which it dropped most dramatically was over a similar time-frame.
Looking at prices nowadays the N9 is slightly cheaper on avg, which is what it should be.

If you can outline a host of reasons why for your usage pattern the 800's better & the N9 fails I'd respect that.
But as it stands you're just making generalizations & not supporting them with any substantive info.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-26 at 14:09.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
But as it stands you're just making generalizations & not supporting them with any substantive info.
As opposed to you, or anyone else here in this thread? LOL

Look, the title is nokia should wake up and use N9 as flagship As it stand today the N9 (together with almost all other Nokia smartphones) is dead compared with the N8 and Lumia 800. You may like it or hate it and argue about details, but that is how the big picture is today.

The Lumia 900 will be a flagship, and the new Symbian cameramonster will be a flagship (in a cameracentric way). By that time the N9 is already 6 feet under.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Something is not better because the masses go for it. The masses always go for shiny crap. That's why only crappy phone OS succeed.
WP would be crappy enough for the masses, but Microsoft forgot that the masses go for SHINY crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: