Is this useful for any apps besides angelfish and telegram?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Is this useful for any apps besides angelfish and telegram?
Excellent and important question!

In my eyes, no, it is not.

I am using it with Angelfish mainly. I have tried Mirage (https://github.com/mirukana/mirage, have to compile flatpak yourself until its published on Flathub), but it has some touch screen issues - although is usable. However, I hope that SFOS Matrix client will show up and I don't need Mirage on SFOS.

The whole project was started to get access to current libs and web browser. The best bet, taking into account QtWayland situation (no Gtk apps possible), turned out to be QtWebengine and corresponding web browser. Hence my participation in Angelfish development and its use.

Good thing about Angelfish is that it should be relatively simple to convert it to SFOS native app iff we get Qt updates. So, I consider it as an investment and it makes sense to join forces in browser development.

As for other apps, we are in rather good state with the apps when you compare with the others. In theory (haven't tried), its possible to package ubuntu touch apps to flatpaks as well. But it takes effort and someone has to be interested enough to make it.

My own plans, with the respect of Flatpak support, are modest. I don't plan to work on it much as it does what I need. Others are very welcome to join and fix issues as they find them. For example, if you wish to get ability to upload/download files via Angelfish, Flatpak would need to get support for the corresponding portals (file system access). So, you would have to read up on it, figure out used API, and implement it.

There are bugs, those that I know of are listed at https://github.com/sailfishos-flatpak/main/issues . Again, feel free to work on them and I will help as much as I can.

Flatpak will be able to make more if we get access to the newer Qt libs and corresponding QtWayland update. That would allow to use/write/adapt better composer in Flatpak Runner and get ability to run Gtk apps developed by Purism folks. Ironically, at the same time, we will be able to use newer Qt libs natively reducing the need of flatpak on SFOS. So, let's see what will be the situation when/if Qt update happens. Or, we all move on to somewhere else due to the inability to develop/run current software.

As for my time, I'd prefer to allocate it to the apps development (maps, browser, maybe something else) and ensuring that Sony Tama port is up to date.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by carlosgonz View Post
Thank you. It is possible be translated the qml-Flatpak-runner app to be easy for end user?
Sure, I should look into it. Issue opened: https://github.com/sailfishos-flatpa...nner/issues/18

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 271 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Germany
hi ringius.
i successfully installed flatpak on my xperia f53121.
but no icon of angelfish is appearing.
is there a fix which i can manage myselfon my jolla c
i have the icons but angelfish is not working because i think it is only working on sony devices?
or is therr a simple workaround too?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by monkeyisland View Post
hi ringius.
i successfully installed flatpak on my xperia f53121.
but no icon of angelfish is appearing.
is there a fix which i can manage myselfon my jolla c
i have the icons but angelfish is not working because i think it is only working on sony devices?
or is therr a simple workaround too?
Have you installed Angelfish? After installation you have to run Flatpak Runner (desktop icon should be there) and it will create an icon for you for all installed flatpak apps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
yes i did i perform a new clean install.

no icon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by monkeyisland View Post
yes i did i perform a new clean install.

no icon
To be sure that we speak about the same things:

* do you have flatpak-runner command available?

* did you install using
Code:
devel-su zypper in flatpak flatpak-runner
* please paste the output of
Code:
flatpak list
from ssh/terminal.

I install new.

here a screenshot
Attached Images

Last edited by monkeyisland; 2020-04-04 at 10:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
Afer installation the device performed a reboot itself.

Flatpak list.

shows

But no starter with angelfish
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
First, it should not reboot itself, you will have to figure out what's going on. But looks like it managed to install all what's needed.

Second:

have you installed flatpak-runner? You are expected to install that as well, its Sailfish app. Now start in terminal (or from launcher)

flatpak-runner

It will show you the list of installed apps. Angelfish should be recognized and in that list. After that, Angelfish will be available in the icon list of the launcher

Tags
flatpak