Jakov,

If you dual boot you can have both os2007 and os2008 on same ITT. There are several threads that discuss how to do this from os2008. I have simplified instructions on this
thread for dual boot. Hope this helps.
Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Jakov,

If you dual boot you can have both os2007 and os2008 on same ITT. There are several threads that discuss how to do this from os2008. I have simplified instructions on this
thread for dual boot. Hope this helps.
Dan
Dan,

I've been following threads and searching for that information and can't find it. I can make a dual boot but the OS2008 side has no wireless and a couple of other things don't work. Can you please point me to the post that has the instructions to make a working dual boot for OS2007 and OS2008 where both OSs are fully functional?

All I know is that you have to somehow set up kernel and initfs for the OS you want to boot into from the OS you are currently running, but I don't know how that is done.

http://schmots.blogspot.com/ seems to have stuff that might work, but I'm not sure enough of the setup - what files do what - to work out the sequence.

Zebee

Zebee,

I'm traveling so I have very little time to search, but if you search for fanoush who created the dual boot he gives a very specific instructions on how to have both os's running.
As far as os2008 you will need to re-flash if you are having wireless problems. I've read other posts that had that issue and it was because they had a corrupted version even from Nokia site. I and thousands of others can attest to how stable and easy os2008 is. No sd card problems, browser problems, Skype, keyboard, blue tooth, etc... that beset the os2007. Until I installed os2008 my n800 was a toy and a bad one at that. Heck when I took it in to flash os2008 they could not believe how I had the original os2007 which was better than all the follow ups. Read old posts and you will see how bad it was before os2008. Reflash os2008 and you will really enjoy the experience. Dan

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
Dan,

I've been following threads and searching for that information and can't find it. I can make a dual boot but the OS2008 side has no wireless and a couple of other things don't work. Can you please point me to the post that has the instructions to make a working dual boot for OS2007 and OS2008 where both OSs are fully functional?

All I know is that you have to somehow set up kernel and initfs for the OS you want to boot into from the OS you are currently running, but I don't know how that is done.

http://schmots.blogspot.com/ seems to have stuff that might work, but I'm not sure enough of the setup - what files do what - to work out the sequence.

Zebee
This is correct. 2008 is too much different from 2007. Co existence has not been completely work out.

bun

Bun,

I seem to remember Fanoush instructing someone on putting os2007 on a removable card so that the conflicts were minimized. Zebee why don't you PM Fanoush directly for guidance. Fanoush might have something new he hasn't released that might help you.

Bun, still don't get why people still want os2007. OK some apps people customized but with all the new apps and porting of old apps I just don't see the advantages.
Hey did you ever get that 16gb card and add 4-5gb of memory for os?
I'm going to get the 32gb cards as soon as price comes down enough($150). A little birdy told me that the 64gb cards will be ready by Oct. Several manufacturers have been showing them off to big clients. That will bring price of 32gb to around $150 mark.

I hope the next IT has a phone, enchanced camera(5mp) and two sdhc or 2 micro sdhc card slots and keyboard. Dan

Last edited by dan; 2008-02-20 at 04:00.

Zebee,

I'm traveling so I have very little time to search, but if you search for fanoush who created the dual boot he gives a very specific instructions on how to have both os's running.
Dan, that's what I can't find. I can find how to dual boot from flash or card, and had that working with 2008 on both.

When I reflashed the main flash to 2007 I could boot 2008 from the card but wireless, which had been working, no longer did so.

So As I have looked heaps and have not found how to get dual boot 2008 and 2007 with all things working, and you said you knew how, I was hoping you could tell me.

Fanoush has given the general principles, that you need to load the kernel and I think the initfs of the OS you want to boot into from the one you are running, but I don't know how that's done and can't find any instructions or even leads.

Zebee

...still don't get why people still want os2007. ...

Likely an app they have been using has not been ported to Chinook yet, for e.g. Abiword.

My 16 G is working fine and booting alright. However, you still are the few that has achieved 16 G boot while others are still struggling.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Likely an app they have been using has not been ported to Chinook yet, for e.g. Abiword.
bun
For me it's Gene Cash's excellent PIM software. There's nothing available on 2008 to touch it except perhaps Korganiser and I had trouble getting that to do suitable audible alarms.

He's not going to port, so either I have to (and I know practically nothing about how to go about it) or I find something else as good, which so far I haven't.

(I also note I really dislike the fat menus and scrollbars on 2008. I prefer to use a stylus, so why take the choice from me?)

Zebee

Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
For me it's Gene Cash's excellent PIM software. There's nothing available on 2008 to touch it except perhaps Korganiser and I had trouble getting that to do suitable audible alarms.

osmo?

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
osmo?

bun
No alarms. Good alarms are vital to my calendar use. Gene's work very well, GPE's are hopeless, Osmo doesn't have them.

Someone is talking about using the alarmd to manage GPE alarms, but no idea when that will happen if ever.

Zebee