Active Topics

Notices

So when exactly are we able to use VLC?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
NOW!!! On your PC. LOL.
Not sure when a release client will emerge.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
My educated guess for the VLC 1.1.0 stable release would be March or April. There should better planning visibility after the '09 developer meeting this week-end.

Until then you're going to have to use pre-releases. I still need to iron out a few critical bugs before I update the current old one.

Or then find someone (else) to fork the existing VLC 1.0 and maintain it for N900.

So it should be listed in the url that was posted correct?
http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS
I cant find anything about the n900. Am I missing something?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
For what its worth, I've put redenisc's pre-release version of VLC (taken from his website) into my repository. Go to the website on my signature to see the repository details. Use the Maemo 5 (Fremantle) repository.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
okay thanks qole

will play around with it tomorrow and see what i get

Originally Posted by qole View Post
For what its worth, I've put redenisc's pre-release version of VLC (taken from his website) into my repository. Go to the website on my signature to see the repository details. Use the Maemo 5 (Fremantle) repository.
I can't find VLC on your repository

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by bazz View Post
So it should be listed in the url that was posted correct?
http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS
I cant find anything about the n900. Am I missing something?
As I said, quite a lot of ARMv7 and/or Maemo5 improvements were or are being done in the development branch:
http://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc/NEWS

You can build VLC 1.0 for Maemo 5, but don't expect much as it predates the N900 announcement...

Qole: I'm trying to build a more recent and complete version. But there are a few critical bugs to work around. I have found one rather annoying segfault in the GCC unwinding code By the way, if anyone knows of to stick a more recent toolchain into scratchbox, that would be awesome.

Last edited by redenisc; 2009-12-15 at 12:33.

okay so since vlc was not in the rep i tryed out the solution with knots2

and now......... gentlemen i got openvpn + knots2 streaming my satellite tv to my nokia N900

i followed the http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots guide and then i copyed the Nokia N900 profile and changed the bitrate to 1000 and the width 320 and height 240
I got the N900 streaming without any lag and in acceptable quality, i haven't tryed on a 3.5G yet because there is not that a good coverage

so this is great until vlc comes in the picture

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I hope something is released soon, since it is getting old for videos that play fine on the Archos 5 to not play on the N900- same exact chipset.

At least release some codec updates for the current player. I sense there was not a lot of codec and driver testing on the N900, based on relative performance. I can understand why Flash plays better on the Archos 5 (Flashlite 3) but not why avi and divx have some problems on the N900 and not the Archos 5.

Avi and divx that plays on the Archos 5 but at least 30% have these problems on the N900:

1. Green screen for 80% of the display.
2. Stutters for about 15 seconds
3. Frame drops
4. Do not play at all.

I am not trying hi def vids. None were greater than the native res of the N900.

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard