Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
[QUOTE=danramos;917443]Then why did they DECREASE the openness as they went along, if they're so committed to open-source? Why commission a closed-source calendar application for an open-source operating system? Why prefer closed-source reliant hardware when there are more open-source friendlier ones? "

Again show me an example of an fully open source hardware on handset market!? OI havent even seen any fully open source drivers on PC market(Example: closed wifi/gfx drivers is some...).

Do you mean they should use an open source based calendar? DO they work with fully sync for OVi/IMAP whatever crap sokme needs? If they decided to go fully open calendar then even more people should startr bashing about halfdone stuff.

Another example is flash everyone is bashing about Flash 9 instead of Flash 10 is that component open!? Not a chance! Is there an open replacement that works. I can say no. So again not everything can be fully open.

" Maybe that one I could concede on a little and forgive some hardware drivers, but closed-source applications and forcing a dependency on them? Why the puffery about open-source at all, if you're going to just create a hard dependency on closed-source applications that you can't remove like the calendar, media player, etc.? Credit where it's due--at least they FINALLY did open up the camera drivers--but that still leaves an INCREDIBLY large amount of dependencies and closed-source to contend with."

Why can the calendar be removed? :-S Where did u get that from?

"By contrast, if I run CyanogenMod (without the Google Apps, I
might add) on my Droid--I have a firmware image constantly updated by the community all on its own with almost complete open-source and very, VERY little closed-source at all and no dependency on closed source except for the drivers and Dalvik."

Exactly the same for N900 then. = PowerKernel with USBHostmode, fcam instead of old camera driver, open source wifi driver etc...
I kinda wish I could have a discussion with you, but I can barely tell the difference between what you're quoting from me and what you're answering back. It looks like a big staticy mess of noise whenever you try to answer. As someone previously said, learn to use quotes. I'm not bothering to read through to respond to this mess.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Sure. If nokia only had released n9 last year. We would be here in this thread right now. Don't blame me. Please call OPK and tell him that.
This thread is obnoxiously long because Nokia failed to meet a deadline? Not really.

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
This thread is obnoxiously long because Nokia failed to meet a deadline? Not really.
this is how we kill time here.
look for the threads when-ever nokia took preorders and extended the shipping dates for n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
nokia have no offical deadline for the N9. (If you don't use Elop's words as a deadline )

So you might be right.

No, it's long because we're all quoting your message to respond to it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
No, it's long because we're all quoting your message to respond to it.
Funny. I was actually reading the passed few pages, you've got some good points.

Funny too how in so many forums so many people will completely spin off topic and carry on with it for pages and pages and pages.

By the way, I never meant that I wanted this thread to stop, I was just mentioning the original poster's question/statement-thing has been answered.

Edit: the tags are hilarious.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@mikecomputing.
This is at least something:
http://pandaboard.org/
last time I checked the gfx driver was not opensource...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Funny. I was actually reading the passed few pages, you've got some good points.

Funny too how in so many forums so many people will completely spin off topic and carry on with it for pages and pages and pages.

By the way, I never meant that I wanted this thread to stop, I was just mentioning the original poster's question/statement-thing has been answered.

Edit: the tags are hilarious.
Not complaining--I just thought it was funny that everybody for the last few posts were quoting the same original message you wrote.

...and you're welcome for the tags.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
353 days left of 2011. in case anyone missed that.

I'm also trying to keep my hopes high for the meeting in barcelona. Just a comment about meego progress or N9 would be enough.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Maybe they'll have a big all-day conference about Symbian and then at the end, a quick mention that the N9 is "kinda neat"and that you'll love it when you see it. Mysteriously, the announcer will twirl in place in a cloud of smoke and disappear.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz