Notices

jukey went ahead and pushed the discussion over here. If you are unsure about working on the wiki page directly then just post your comments here.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
This weekend I made the P2P UI orientation-aware so that typing messages becomes easier:

As a consequence, I am back to manually positioning my graphics items, this QGraphicsLayout stuff just never really worked for me.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by mikhas View Post
This weekend I made the P2P UI orientation-aware so that typing messages becomes easier:
This looks very good to me. Do you think the input field on the bottom could be half transparent so that the user has a chance to see that one row is missing?

Me on twitter

Originally Posted by jukey View Post
This looks very good to me. Do you think the input field on the bottom could be half transparent so that the user has a chance to see that one row is missing?
That usually doesn't look very nice, especially when you start to type letters (does anyone really like this transparency effect in karmic, when you hover over a desktop notification?). But yes, can be easily done.

I am surprised you find the look of this appealing, because my blurring effect looks like sh^W it could be improved

Also, the plan for this message bar is to have a nice send button and this smiley chooser you know from the conversations app.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by mikhas View Post
Interfacing with Scid is very high on my wish list. The idea is to make a minimal (but useful!) Miniature UI extension on top of Scid (but this is nevertheless *hard*). Anyone who wants to start with this, or has ideas on how to approach this (read: familar with Scid codebase, willing to contact Scid devs, Scid power user, etc) can help to make this happen!

In other news: 0.8.1-1 is out, mostly a cleanup release with new bugs =p I fear it might not install properly without PR1.2, sorry
The Scid devs are extremely easy to contact. They have an active mailing list. If you go to the Scid site, it is easy to find. If you can't find it, let me know.

Originally Posted by mitweeeeh View Post
Hi,
i wanted a pgn viewer for my N900 and i found Chessmonk, by Kanishou. I would very happy if i could work my openings with.

Is there any package for it? Nor sources? I posted on the old thread but i've no answer. The dev said it was functionnal, so?

Thanks a lot.
A pgn viewer is basically what I want as well. I think I requested something like that six months ago, but technology hasn't been able to arrive at that point. Someone suggested that Xboard or Scid be used, but the graphics aren't sophisticated enough for our tablets.

So it's better to have nothing.

The N800 and N810 had xboard and eboard and scid but it's more than the N900 can manage so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
A pgn viewer is basically what I want as well. [...]
The N800 and N810 had xboard and eboard and scid but it's more than the N900 can manage so far.
Again: eboard works well on your N900: http://wiki.maemo.org/Chess/Eboard

You also can use eboard as simple pgn viewer or as archive of the games you made.

Me on twitter

Right, eboard does work. I had a hard time logging on to fics till I made a user button for my user name and another for my password. Then I just typed examine + enter and I had a usable chessboard. Otherwise, I think I would have had to use a scratch board to look at chess games, not as good because it allows illegal moves and doesn't keep track of whose move it is. There is probably a better way, but I don't know it offhand.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
I had a similar experience and solved it when it was pointed out to me that, my problem logging into FICS was probably caused by the lazy option of the Maemo OS to automatically begin a sentence with a capital letter, once I disabled this unnecessary feature, I was able to login to FICS because my password did not get a capital letter automatically added to the beginning of my FICS password when I tried to log in.

Having got that out of the way I challenge you to a match, my handle is korzybski, I don't play blitz only 30 minute standard, no take backs and no disconnections.

I am an honourable player, so don't cheat by using a monster to win for me

What is your handle?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dollyknot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, as explained by mikhas:

thanks to the work of Dariusz and Alban it looks like we have something
demo-able for the P2P stuff. So I decided to push out an overdue release
[1]. Do not expect *too* much though, it really is bleeding edge stuff.
Thank you to the developers making possible to play online chess P2P!

You can find Miniature in extras-devel, which is a repository of highly unstable software. Don't play with it unless you are willing to test far from perfect software!

Tags
chess, fremantle, miniature