Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
That would be awesome! But... probably take too long each launch...
Oh, I didn't mean search the whole file system, it would just look in a couple of places (probably "/" and maybe "/home/user") so that people with big partitions can use them to host their image.

I'd be inclined to have the main scripts read a config file, and have a separate script that can be run on-demand to try generating a config file by looking for debian root filesystems.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That sounds cool, I look forward to seeing it! I've just learned how to do if-then statements in shell scripts, reading/writing config files is a bit over my head. But if you held my hand...

Writing's the hard bit, since you have to figure out what to write...

Make your config file look like:
Code:
IMAGEFILE=/media/mmc2/debian.img
MOUNTPOINT=/debian/
PARAMETER3=value3
PARAMETER4=value4
(That is to say, statements interpretable by the shell, leaving settings in shell variables; you can do actual commands and stuff as well as assignments...)
Then, in your shell script, you include the file with . like so:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#first read our config file:
. /home/user/.debchrootrc

#now do the real work...
That causes the shell to jump over to .debchrootrc, continue reading and evaluating lines from it, and when it drops out of .debchrootrc, returns to the including script.

For writing, you wind up with something like:
Code:
#...
#By this point, all the actual values have been discovered, guessed, prompted for, or otherwise obtained, and assigned into the correct variables.
echo '#This file auto-generated by qole's debfooconfigurizer script.' > /home/user/.debchrootrc
echo 'IMAGEFILE="'"$IMAGEFILE"'"' > /home/user/.debchrootrc
echo 'MOUNTPOINT="'"$MOUNTPOINT"'"' > /home/user/.debchrootrc
echo 'PARAMETER3="'"$PARAMETER3"'"' > /home/user/.debchrootrc
echo 'PARAMETER4="'"$PARAMETER4"'"' > /home/user/.debchrootrc

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by psykosis View Post
I have found while the modern apps run way too slow, there is has been a serious class re-union to the older apps of yester-years going on, apps that were written for double digit Mhz machines that utterly scream on our Nokia. I think these Gems of old likely will be the real strength of Debian on our Nokias.
Could you please post some of your "gems" in the Debian Apps That Run Well On The Tablet thread?

I think I will have my chroot script look for the config file, and if it doesn't find one, it will look in a very few specific locations for a specifically named chroot image.

I will then make a new package (called something like advanced-chroot-config) that will use Bundyo's port of Zenity to interact with the user in setting up a variety of options, including using a partition instead of an img file, and then write this to a config file that will then be used by the chroot script. The new package will also include Matan's unmount script for shutting down your chroot so you can switch to a new one, and maybe some other chroot-related utilities if we can think of stuff that would be useful.

Sounds pretty clean from here. Let me know if you run into any trouble with the scripting.

Does This Work On Nokia 770

Originally Posted by psykosis View Post
I finally after running into the "out of space" jazz again decided to try the resize2fs ordeal, and it worked!

Step by step (in case anyone needs more details)
  • I opened up a Debian shell and copied /sbin/resize2fs over to /media/mmc1 and then under an OS2008 shell (as root) copied it from mmc1 over to OS2008's sbin. (and I think I had to chmod a+x resize2fs since the FAT SD killed the execute bit)
  • I rebooted, since I am too lazy to ensure the image is properly unmounted.
  • After rebooting, in an OS2008 shell (as root) I typed: "resize2fs /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext 1512M" - the 1512M can be changed, of course, to whatever your target size is.
  • Afterwards, I ran "e2fsck -f /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2" to ensure there were no errors in the file system (I found a few, but they were fixed).
  • Install, install, install.

Warning: Before others do my "opps", remember that FAT doesn't like files larger than 2gb!

Loving this chmod bit, Qole!
Hello,

I've been looking for quite a while for an easy way of installing a full linux distro on my n810, and I must say you guys have done an incredible job. The image of qole is working flawlessly. 1000xthanks

I had a question about the partition size. I have a microsd card of 8 GB, most of it I emptied for the debian image of qole. The problem is when I try to install xfce4, I run out of space and it becomes really ugly. So I read this thread (and others) to find a solution and I tried psykosis one but it didn't work. Instead the terminal tells me after this command:

/home/user # resize2fs /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2 1950M
resize2fs: error while loading shared libraries: libe2p.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is this missing library easily installable, is there an other way to resize the image or should I go for a complete personalized chroot install (as it seems you were all doing at the beginning of this thread) ?

note: I have been using linux (debian and ubuntu) for quite a while but am not an experienced user at all. So writing python or C code is not really something I can handle It would be nice if someone would have a not too complicated solutions .

Again thank for everything.

UPDATE OF THE PREVIOUS POST:

Finally I found a way around without risking my n810 at all, for anyone interested:

what you need:
- a computer with linux
- resize2fs on it
-> to install it ( normally in root or with sudo):
--> debian and ubuntu: apt-get install <program>
--> gentoo: emerge <program>, I think, it has been a while since I last touched a gentoo box)
- optional: SD card reader + adapter to (micro/mini)sd depend of which of the 3 you use.

steps:
1. Either connect your IT to your pc or get the card out (caution: do not take it out if in use, safest way to make sure: power off your IT) and put it in the card reader.
2. go in the terminal or if in X launch a terminal emulator
3. type cd /<your path to your (micro/mini)sd/
4. e2fsck -f <your debian image file name>
-> it check if everything is allright with the filesystem
5. resize2fs <your debian image file name> 1950M
(As psykosis said you can change the size but if your (micro/mini)sd card is formatted in fat, like mine, the file better not be bigger than 2gb)

And that's it, a loooot more room for installing cool apps

thank you very much for the resize2fs trick psykosis I wouldn't have found it myself.

Last edited by offensivebias; 2008-07-15 at 14:08.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian