Active Topics

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

Meanwhile the productive cell phone user is sitting in the Crown Room connected to WiFi and sipping a complimentary cocktail while browsing his/her e-mail, and finding out where the good jazz is in the town where they will be staying tonight.
Oh please stop the nonsense. :-) Fan boys and fan boys regardless of device.

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Don't know. Don't care.
Thanks.

Then your experience is even less relevant.
Oh wow. You're just a class act.

Toodles.

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
Also, of course, in USA to pay to receive calls and you get a regular number, in UK the caller pays and knows it's a mobile call because the number is clearly different; receiving calls is free as is receiving SMS.
Its pretty much the same in India (Asia). You can top off minutes for any amount you want and it all non-expiring. Plus you get cheape minutes if its on the same carrier network.

Mobile numbers are easily distinguishable from landline numbers and receiving calls is free.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Oh please stop the nonsense. :-) Fan boys and fan boys regardless of device.

No non-sense dude... and I'm not a fan boy of anything material.

Just restating the apparent not so obvious. The iPhone may be more productive to some but it is more than likely their first "smart" phone. The iPhone may have also converted some previous WinMo users only because of the forced M/S upgrade path.

Previous users of smart phones who have developed dependencies on the features that they provide (Crackberry addicts for instance) haven't exactly lept onto the iPhone bandwagon.

I think all phone manufacturers should be grateful to Apple for exposing many more people to the capabilities of IP over cell. In this way, imho the iPhone has opened up the "smart" phone market and has also raised the usability bar.

However, the fact is that "Super Mom" breezing through the airport with her iPhone is texting the babysitter to make sure she reads the note she left her that summarizes the meeting that they had, and to tell her she will call when she lands. << All redundant info that was broadcast simple because she could and not because she needed to.

The geek holding his carry-on between his knees is thumbing through some social network to see how many replies he got for that snappy retort he laid on them about Princess Leah, before signing off from his home desktop...
...again not considered a productive use.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
...again not considered a productive use.
I know quite a few people who have a blackberry for work and opted for an iphone for their personal communications. Also, most of the people I know who had Treos have moved on to iphones. On coder blogs (not maemo) I occasionally see people talking about their iphones. Because of the larger installed base for iphones, I suspect that their are more developers with iphones than there are with maemo devices. I think these people know how to be productive and weren't looking for a fashionably unproductive device. The iphone met their needs -- even with its myriad of deficiencies.

If the maemo phones are significantly more productive devices, some of these users will jump -- but I don't expect Apple to sit still either.

I personally don't want an iphone. But on the other hand, I have seen no NITs in the wild other than mine, but I see lots of people getting iphones -- admittedly many from people just moving up to a smartphone.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The bottomline is, to have a device that appeals to so many different segment can only be a good thing for your platform's long term sustainability.

Otherwise there's always pandora.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by mars View Post
But on the other hand, I have seen no NITs in the wild other than mine, but I see lots of people getting iphones.
I haven't seen any advert (tv/radio/internet/billboards) for the tablets either, while I've seen plenty for the iphone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I haven't seen any advert (tv/radio/internet/billboards) for the tablets either, while I've seen plenty for the iphone.
Yup, advertising is a huge factor in getting a product out there. It's part of the reason why nobody heard of other MP3 players when the iPod first came out despite other MP3 players existing prior to it. And even MP3 players that offered better storage, or whatever even during the iPod era (replaced now by iTouch and iPhone).

Videogames suffer from that too, most successful games have strong advertising campaigns or word of mouth campaigns. While games that tend not to do well in sales, even if it was a great idea with great execution that's a cult classic suffer from lack of advertising.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mars View Post
I know quite a few people who have a blackberry for work and opted for an iphone for their personal communications. Also, most of the people I know who had Treos have moved on to iphones. On coder blogs (not maemo) I occasionally see people talking about their iphones. Because of the larger installed base for iphones, I suspect that their are more developers with iphones than there are with maemo devices. I think these people know how to be productive and weren't looking for a fashionably unproductive device. The iphone met their needs -- even with its myriad of deficiencies.

If the maemo phones are significantly more productive devices, some of these users will jump -- but I don't expect Apple to sit still either.

I personally don't want an iphone. But on the other hand, I have seen no NITs in the wild other than mine, but I see lots of people getting iphones -- admittedly many from people just moving up to a smartphone.

Agreed... Clocking dollars from an app you coded for sale on iTunes is a very productive use of an iPhone.

My point was simply that I am not a fan boy of anything material.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Apparently Mozilla has confirmed that they will be shipping for (with) maemo in a couple months. So October is looking firmer.

On Nokia's Maemo platform, which powers their tablets, we've done two beta releases, so we'll do at least one more beta. If things go well, or as planned, we should be shipping a general availability of that for this year, and same for Windows Mobile. On Windows Mobile, we'll do another alpha release, and then we should get into beta. You can expect to see us shipping for Maemo in the next couple months, with Windows Mobile soon after that. We're also working on Symbian for the moment.

Last edited by Paxicide; 2009-08-13 at 22:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paxicide For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, nokia, pictures, rx-51, specification