Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
try to contact this author,
http://tinyurl.com/284fedl
they have the unicode nepali version for linux and multiple other OSes. when i was needing a Nepali Romanized Unicode for my mac, they provided me with all the files needed and instruction as well, now you can simply download it but they didnot have the mac version for download longtime ago when i needed it. i would love to see the localized version of maemo in Nepali. may be they can help since they have a linux desktop distro localized.
if you are talking about ui localizatin, then I don't think its of much difficulty. just translate a text file to Nepali and ask some developer who translated maemo5 to their language unofficially, to use set of string that we have provided. but i don't think many of us will need to use nepali ui but to type.

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
if you are talking about ui localizatin, then I don't think its of much difficulty. just translate a text file to Nepali and ask some developer who translated maemo5 to their language unofficially, to use set of string that we have provided. but i don't think many of us will need to use nepali ui but to type.
if I had any knowlegde about the ui localization i would have already done it. but i did ask MPP if they could but the reply i got was they do not have enough resources to work for a mobile platform.
what i said earlier was. like if we could install the romanized package from MPP, then typing " K CHA" would convert that to nepali script automatically by changing the keyboard in settings.
like you can tell i have no idea about all these, but it was a pleasure to use auto nepali script when typing in english.

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
as I told, if you want ui localization then all you need to do is contact any devs who has unofficially translated maemo into their language, no need to know programing stuff! i have asked mpp devs about unicode nepali typing for maemo, they at least respon well. i have created a thread dedicated for nepali unicode typing, i hope to get something out of it.

Seriously where did the developers go :/

It is shocking that as of now N900 still doesnt have as good portrait support as landscape. The landscape virtual kb may have some uses for the lazy but its really inessential with the exception of the arrow sym command. I was hoping for a system wide consistency (while not riddled with bugs) of using portrait on the N900 but its not here yet.

Even though a portrait qwerty kb might be released for the N900 some programs need to be tweaked to welcome it right? The maemo browser for instance in portrait doesnt even allow changing URL text in portrait etc.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, every app that allows you to use a virtual keyboard will MOSTLY not need tweaks. Back when I tested this app a few months ago, you could still easily use the portrait VKB with any text box on the webpage, so at least you had that (though it was rather buggy, and I don't think it ever moved the text from keyboard input box to web page input box).

But yes, you wouldn't be able to type in a new URL. Which saddens me. MicroB is my favorite browser by far, but it's closed source, and thus mostly useless in so far as us changing it goes.

question?

so whenever we're running portrait enabled apps (ie. conversations), and are about to write something (which by default will pop the virtual keyboard and ruining the orientation back to landscape), will installing this will make it run the portrait keyboard instead?
but still preserve the original virtual keyboard on landscape orientation?

not that i don't like vertsms, fastsms or other similar apps. but i wish to keep using the original as much as i can
so this could be the remedy

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Nah. I wish it did that. But no, it replaces the hildon-input-method vkb (virtual keyboard) with this hildon-input-method vkb. And hildon isn't currently coded to support using different vkbs (virtual keyboards) in different modes.

This project is, well, very very dead. However, there's been talk of portrait-izing all of Hildon in some other threads - the only thing is, right now Qt on Maemo 5 has a horrible segfault-ing bug whenever a Qt app is launched while hildon is in portrait mode. So that's not going to hit mainstream use until that's fixed.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Now that FastSMS becomes more stable and had a qwerty I'm thinking about redesign it for being used as standard keyboard...If someone of you can help me on this...thank you

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
Now that FastSMS becomes more stable and had a qwerty I'm thinking about redesign it for being used as standard keyboard...If someone of you can help me on this...thank you
I love the keyboard in FastSMS, would be awesome if you can make it a standalone keyboard system wide. I would gladly pay for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to harvindhillon For This Useful Post:

Tags
hit and run, worthless