Poll: Why didn't you vote?
Poll Options
Why didn't you vote?

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Last time I voted so that a bitter, hostile, elitist, rude & insulting person wouldn't make it into the council as a representative of the community.

So this time I didn't even bother.

Other: as in I don't recall receiving an e-mail for it.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
(i hope i wasn't supposed to pick just one, because i picked 3.)

other = i don't have any clue as to what criteria i might use to pick people, because i don't have any clue as to the function of the council. (i was not aware that such a council existed until i received an invitation to vote.)

[reading http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Community_Council... 100% done.]

i think the primary criterion i would use is the frequency with which someone visits this forum and the forum at maemo.org* and reads posts. posting frequency would be secondary, and listening/understanding with an open yet critical mind would be tertiary. i think #1 is logged in some form or another, but i don't think i have access to the data... #2 is pretty easily observed... #3 is difficult to assess online... eh, i would've voted for qole and GA anyway.

*side note: i'm a frequent visitor to this forum but never visit the maemo.org forum because it's not nearly as active.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
(i hope i wasn't supposed to pick just one, because i picked 3.)
that's exactly what i thought would be necessary: probably most people have more than one reason.
i don't have any clue as to what criteria i might use to pick people, because i don't have any clue as to the function of the council.
i still don't fully understand the role of the council... and i remember that this (among other reasons) almost kept me from voting the first time.

this time it was different, i had a set of categories and i voted for each person separately in each category. what's very interesting for me is that my categories don't match yours at all... which probably is because we both don't have a clear understanding of how a perfect council member should be.
i think the primary criterion i would use is the frequency with which someone visits this forum and the forum at maemo.org* and reads posts. posting frequency would be secondary, and listening/understanding with an open yet critical mind would be tertiary.
Just for comparison, here's what I had:
  1. Sympathy. Do I like the person? Some get a strong yes here, others get a no, but I found I felt indifferent about most people. (To be honest, some people got points in the sympathy category just because they looked nice on the pictures. Who says sympathy is something objective ?)
  2. Style in the forum. Are they helpful to new members? Do they have a good sense of humor (=mine)? Do they contribute to discussions in a constructive manner?
  3. Software released. I like "hands on"-guys, coders, people who know about the platform from their own experiences.
  4. Ideology. I'm a "free software" person. I live for ideologies, not only in the software world but generally. Marketing guys and pragmatists are my natural enemies. It's difficult to find this out about the candidates, but some of them gave clues, if only in the words they used.
  5. Help points. Some of the candidates were exceptionally helpful when I needed support. I remember such things.
1 and 2 were most important to me.

I don't know if this is the proper way or if these are criteria anybody would agree upon for selecting council members (probably not). But who cares? People who earn points in all of these categories earn my trust and deserve my vote.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
other = i don't have any clue as to what criteria i might use to pick people, because i don't have any clue as to the function of the council. (i was not aware that such a council existed until i received an invitation to vote.)

[reading http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Community_Council... 100% done.]

i think the primary criterion i would use is the frequency with which someone visits this forum and the forum at maemo.org* and reads posts. posting frequency would be secondary, and listening/understanding with an open yet critical mind would be tertiary. i think #1 is logged in some form or another, but i don't think i have access to the data... #2 is pretty easily observed... #3 is difficult to assess online... eh, i would've voted for qole and GA anyway.

*side note: i'm a frequent visitor to this forum but never visit the maemo.org forum because it's not nearly as active.
I thanked you because I'm pretty sure I got elected by votes from people like you.

I'm not thanking you for your vote, because I'm not entirely pleased to be on the Council*, but I'm thanking you because you proved me right that people are (1) voting without a clear understanding of what the Council does and (2) voting for people they know and see as helpful community members.

You can't have an election platform ("If you elect me, I promise to do nunna nunna**") without an understanding of what issues and responsibilities fall within the scope of the governing body being elected.

*mostly because I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing as a councilor.

** ... nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna ...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Last time I voted so that a bitter, hostile, elitist, rude & insulting person wouldn't make it into the council as a representative of the community.
You too?

I was absolutely positive last time that I wouldn't vote (for several reasons: not knowing what the council should be good for, thus not knowing how to decide which candidate would be best, finally not knowing the candidates too well...). Then Benson wrote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
vote for the one you think is best of the ones you know about; a vote for him is a vote against the one you despise, after all. And if this level of ignorance is fairly widespread, and is independent of which candidates are known/unknown, it'll all work out.
This made me vote against somebody instead of for somebody. I actually can't even remember who I voted for. It's all Benson's fault.
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
So this time I didn't even bother.
I share your frustration. Sometimes you wonder, don't you? But still: If I remember correctly (I don't have the figures at hand now), only ~160 people voted this time. You'll hardly find elections where your personal vote can make such a difference. You should have voted again. And again next time. Your conviction isn't wrong only because others don't share it.

Oh, and as a sidenote about him:
He almost made me leave this community for good last November. I thought: WTF? I wouldn't listen to, let alone talk to such a person in real life if I had to, for sake sake of my sanity and health. Why should I voluntarily come to a place where he's so omnipresent? I got angry each day about his insults and I had already decided I'd simply do myself a favor and leave the community.... when I discovered the ignore function. Now all I see is "This message is hidden...."
internettablettalk.com is a much better place now, as friendly as a community should be.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You too?

This made me vote against somebody instead of for somebody. I actually can't even remember who I voted for. It's all Benson's fault.
Actually, I had a good candidate, someone who was really helpful, friendly, and was clearly working hard to actually promote development of the tablets. So my last vote was dual-purpose.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Oh, and as a sidenote about him:
He almost made me leave this community for good last November. I thought: WTF? I wouldn't listen to, let alone talk to such a person in real life if I had to, for sake sake of my sanity and health. Why should I voluntarily come to a place where he's so omnipresent? I got angry each day about his insults and I had already decided I'd simply do myself a favor and leave the community.... when I discovered the ignore function. Now all I see is "This message is hidden...."
internettablettalk.com is a much better place now, as friendly as a community should be.
Shame that this is the face of the community. Newbies don't know this feature, and yet they're subjected to it. Enough said, though.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I thanked you because I'm pretty sure I got elected by votes from people like you.

I'm not thanking you for your vote, because I'm not entirely pleased to be on the Council*, but I'm thanking you because you proved me right that people are (1) voting without a clear understanding of what the Council does and (2) voting for people they know and see as helpful community members.

You can't have an election platform ("If you elect me, I promise to do nunna nunna**") without an understanding of what issues and responsibilities fall within the scope of the governing body being elected.

*mostly because I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing as a councilor.

** ... nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna ...
So...

(1) voting without a clear understanding of what the Council does and (2) voting for people they know and see as helpful community members.

...your constituency has now defined your platform. Your logic would suggest that a good deal of your votes came from folks who know you from this forum.

Then your purpose on the council, young grasshopper, would be to help the community through this forum. Sort of this forums council liaison, if you will.

... nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna ...

BTW, part of my first response in this thread could have just as easily been posted in your "De-frag" thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Then your purpose on the council, young grasshopper, would be to help the community through this forum. Sort of this forums council liaison, if you will.
Thanks. That's actually a very insightful comment. I think that's what I'll do. I will fight for the downtrodden members of the ITT ghetto!

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I guess I never really thought to setup an account on maemo.org I'm not sure there really is much need to login to the site for most users and the login button is about as small as possible.

It's not exactly obvious that you can log in even. I seriously never saw the login link until I read this and went looking for it.

Tags
community council, maemo.org