Notices

This new version uses less RAM and you do not need any special trick to run it on the 770 with IT2006 or on the N800. You can just start it from the terminal in Maemo.

Paul

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
I'm sorry but I'm just an hello-world-programmer, so my question is: I do not worry about self compiling something, but the guide seems to talk only about compiling on MacOSX, while I can use just WinXP or my ubuntu edgy box...

Is there any chance to compile on one of the above mentioned operating systems?

Furthermore, is there a link anywhere to simply download the latest Maemo build?

As an old user who used to own an MP 120, I would love to see this Einstein ported over to the N800 and made available as an installable package.
Now to hunt down an MP 2100 firmware image...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by iball View Post
As an old user who used to own an MP 120, I would love to see this Einstein ported over to the N800 and made available as an installable package.
Now to hunt down an MP 2100 firmware image...
The only legal way you can obtain that firmware is by owning a MessagePad 2000/2100, or at the very least its complete motherboard (although in the latter case I wish you all the best in extracting the ROM image -- AFAIK it can only be done from a working MessagePad).

Be advized that Apple is apparently following the OpenEinstein project with its usual beady patent lawyer eyes and that any illegal providing of MessagePad ROM images might result in a swift termination of the project. This is one case I certainly don't want the P2P "community" to jump on.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I wonder if Apple would be willing to sell a license for the Newton roms?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I wonder if Apple would be willing to sell a license for the Newton roms?
They most likely don't even own large parts of it. Apparently the specs of certain chips on the motherboard (the Cirrus Voyager chipset?) are already lost in cyberspace.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
The only legal way you can obtain that firmware is by owning a MessagePad 2000/2100, or at the very least its complete motherboard (although in the latter case I wish you all the best in extracting the ROM image -- AFAIK it can only be done from a working MessagePad).

Be advized that Apple is apparently following the OpenEinstein project with its usual beady patent lawyer eyes and that any illegal providing of MessagePad ROM images might result in a swift termination of the project. This is one case I certainly don't want the P2P "community" to jump on.
Don't forget the eMate!

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Oops! Sorry...

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post

That's nice. It's easily found ANYWAY if one knows where to look.
Einstein runs great on my Macbook Pro, now to just git 'er done on the N800.
Don't bother asking ME for it, it's a rite of passage into the Newton world.

EDIT: I've setup the dev environment on my Macbook Pro and am now working on compiling it for the N800.

Last edited by iball; 2007-07-28 at 04:04.