Notices

Originally Posted by calador View Post
I'm also a big fan of the show. However, I am waiting for a fix so that OMWeather details are displayed properly (right now they're black on black).

Also, I've noticed that after I uninstall all the LCARS packages, my key sounds (sounds initiated from hardware button presses) are still LCARS. Anybody know how to restore the original OS2008 sounds? )-: The key sounds are well done, but seriously geeky unless I have the LCARS theme installed/loaded.
Rebooting should return the old sounds. Id did in my case at least.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Also, I've noticed that after I uninstall all the LCARS packages, my key sounds (sounds initiated from hardware button presses) are still LCARS. Anybody know how to restore the original OS2008 sounds? )-: The key sounds are well done, but seriously geeky unless I have the LCARS theme installed/loaded.
Follow the website. Uninstall lcars-sounds and lcars-extras, reboot.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Follow the website. Uninstall lcars-sounds and lcars-extras, reboot.
Did that. But I still get funky Trekkie keypress sounds. I'll try to reinstall then uninstall again and see what happens.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Did that. But I still get funky Trekkie keypress sounds. I'll try to reinstall then uninstall again and see what happens.
You sure you rebooted?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You sure you rebooted?
Yeh. A few times. Once with "reboot" and a couple of times with that tiny depressed button on the top of the device that looks like this:
(|)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I have to say I'm not a Trekkie but thanks for the theme how-to

as for omweather, it's background is transparent and the font colour can be changed in its options.

Yeh. A few times. Once with "reboot" and a couple of times with that tiny depressed button on the top of the device that looks like this:
(|)

Huh. Weird. Rebooted again. All is well now. The take-away, I suppose, is ... when in doubt, reboot. When that doesn't work, reboot again. x-: It kinda reminds of how you need to restart MicroB TWICE to get Greasemonkey working properly. And that's actually in the installation instructions.

Last edited by calador; 2008-02-09 at 15:02.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
as for omweather, it's background is transparent and the font colour can be changed in its options.
True, but as mentioned in a previous post, the detail view (shows when you click on the applet) has a black font.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
True, but as mentioned in a previous post, the detail view (shows when you click on the applet) has a black font.
Oh,sorry, my bad.

As usual, I quickread and assumed

It's a shame there aren't any more themes for os2008 (i've only seen ones with their size modified & plankton) otherwise problems with themes etc could get more noticed (AFAIK, the built in ones are all same font colour).

I was able to fix most issues with apps using hardcoded colors by changing two colors in
/usr/share/themes/lcars-bridge/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

First the text colour

color["DefaultTextColor"] = "#CC9900"

this is a bit darker shade of yellow than in the original theme. This way it's readable on both dark and on bright background. -> fixing the yellow on white issues in apps like Skype and Video Center

color["DefaultBackgrdColor"] = "#FFFFFF"

Reverting default background color back to white. -> fixing the black on black issues in apps like OMWeather.

Doesn't have a big impact on the overall appearance of the theme. The only annoying side effect is, that the border around some buttons is still black.

Or another combination that doesn't break the appreance of the theme too much is
color["DefaultTextColor"] = "#CC0000"
color["DefaultBackgrdColor"] = "#F1DF6F"

Last edited by iskarion; 2008-02-09 at 16:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post: