Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
kumary,

If your data was important in /MyDocs, I'm sure there are data recovery tools for recovering from vFAT partitions... Usually only a 7 times overwrite gets it off so IIRC you should be able to get things back

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
kumary,

If your data was important in /MyDocs, I'm sure there are data recovery tools for recovering from vFAT partitions... Usually only a 7 times overwrite gets it off so IIRC you should be able to get things back
not that important and after flashing it is a bit fast and now no open mode and no nitdroid... So happy with it now...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Edit: I have a bad feeling what you have done is:
Code:
rm -rf /home/user/<space>.accounts
This is again /offtopic but teaches a lesson;

Just yesterday morning I spent couple of hours restoring a jenkins sever which a co-worker accidentally botched while trying to make a bit more room on a filled up disk partition.

He was deleting some old log files late at night, and accidentally wrote '/*' instead of '*/' ...

And the thing which REALLY was the bit which made it hurt was that he was doing it as root... Some of the CI modules used by jenkins were way back sometime installed as root, which btw is in this case completely unnecessary and that caused the logfiles to be owned by root... oh well

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This is again /offtopic but teaches a lesson;

Just yesterday morning I spent couple of hours restoring a jenkins sever which a co-worker accidentally botched while trying to make a bit more room on a filled up disk partition.

He was deleting some old log files late at night, and accidentally wrote '/*' instead of '*/' ...

And the thing which REALLY was the bit which made it hurt was that he was doing it as root... Some of the CI modules used by jenkins were way back sometime installed as root, which btw is in this case completely unnecessary and that caused the logfiles to be owned by root... oh well
same here i was also doing that as root

bt i am happy this is just a phone and not some server

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by kumary View Post
same here i was also doing that as root

bt i am happy this is just a phone and not some server
Its not about doing as root; /home/user/ has user privileges so even as user you would have the same issue... Your fault I'm pretty sure is to have not read the command properly hence you ended up losing /home/user/ in entirety

Its not about doing as root; /home/user/ has user privileges so even as user you would have the same issue... Your fault I'm pretty sure is to have not read the command properly hence you ended up losing /home/user/ in entirety
yes, and i used space before accounts, coz in original post it seems like there is space between slash and .accounts

I got my lesson

and hope this will be helpful for others

The Following User Says Thank You to kumary For This Useful Post: