Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I appear to be talking to thin air in this thread, so I'll post the link again, as it provides everything you need for perfect on-demand network playback of just about anything you can imagine on your tablet.

http://mediautils.garage.maemo.org/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
i cant figure out how to mount ? the wizard mouunt quick mounnt asks server name , resource folder username annd pass.
servername horseman or 192.168.1.8
resource folder (is this the folder on the server tto be mounted?) i tried tv (which is a shared folder), there is no user or pass needed

but it wont work

u guys also mention to do it through cmd line? i assume u mean the xterm thing but what do i type? i tried mount but that just gives me some wierd list i hate how complicated linux is, not for the first timme iim wishing nokia used a proper os (dont get me wroung linux is good iin a server but for genual use horrible)

can someone give me an example of the cmd line thhey use plz
you are correct for the server and share part, but you still need to type the user (even if the pass is empty).

hint: the user is the username you use to log in to the xp machine

Is there a way to get fuse (sshfs) to work with OS 2007 HE on a Nokia 770? The older buids will not work anymore .

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I appear to be talking to thin air in this thread, so I'll post the link again, as it provides everything you need for perfect on-demand network playback of just about anything you can imagine on your tablet.

http://mediautils.garage.maemo.org/
If it's a NAS box, or an underpowered machine, reencoding isn't an option, i've tried it, and it gets really annoying if it barely works.

I just tried the mount wizard, and it's working a lot better than i hoped, thank you guys for the tip.

For an underpowered machine to be doing worse than the N800 is pretty impressive, I'd think.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
For an underpowered machine to be doing worse than the N800 is pretty impressive, I'd think.
Now I haven't looked into those tools, and assumed it's some kind of transcoding solution, like tversity/orb etc, and that requires alot more cpu power than simple decoding. The NAS is also a situation when mounting and playing directly is a good option.

Again, I'm not an expert in any of this, just my 2c

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by vman81 View Post
If it's a NAS box, or an underpowered machine, reencoding isn't an option, i've tried it, and it gets really annoying if it barely works.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but OpenSUSE isn't typically deployed to NAS boxes, no?

Now I haven't looked into those tools, and assumed it's some kind of transcoding solution, like tversity/orb etc, and that requires alot more cpu power than simple decoding. The NAS is also a situation when mounting and playing directly is a good option.
Sometimes, for some codecs (I'm not at all sure what ones, so I know this probably doesn't apply here), you can reduce the bitrate without DCT/IDCT, so actually potentially less work than decoding.

But I'd expect around 3x power required; that's about 1.2 GHz ARM (should you have such a beast), but all recent x86 machines have extensive facilities for it, so I'd think that anything above 1 GHz-ish would do it.
Again, I'm not an expert in any of this, just my 2c
I'm no expert either; I haven't even tried it on any machine; I was just kinda curious what hardware it was that was doing worse for general use than playing from a network FS.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Now I haven't looked into those tools, and assumed it's some kind of transcoding solution, like tversity/orb etc, and that requires alot more cpu power than simple decoding.
The initial development of mediaserv was done on a 700MHz VIA C3 box transcoding DVD rips to watchable quality with CPU to spare.

The NAS is also a situation when mounting and playing directly is a good option.
This is really only an option, though, if the video is in a format which can be played back on a current tablet. Most of mine, at least, can't - especially if they're MPEG2-TS dumps from a DVB-T (Freeview) card.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: