Poll: Can you use this release of Mer, on a daily basis?
Poll Options
Can you use this release of Mer, on a daily basis?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
* Battery monitor (tablet-battery-monitor) on N8x0, requires closed blobs (installs them itself)
* BlueMan ported - which means tethering, DUN, PAN, and a lot of interesting things
These are done by me so if you have any problems, let me know and I'll try and help with installing/using them.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I have tried .11 and really enjoyed it. Great work and keep it up. My main complaint is that when I boot it, I have to hold the menu key and select Mer off my internal card. I enjoyed it so much I purchased an extra N810 to use it on and help with the testing, got it yesterday. I want to keep one with Maemo and one with Mer. In the instructions it states:
Flashable Image
NOTE: Experimental
Grab a kernel and rootfs image of Mer and flash them directly to the device by:
./flasher-3.0-static -k mer-armel-n8x0-kernel-v<your version>.zImage -r mer-armel-n8x0-image-v<your version>.jffs2 -f -R
You might want a MMC card swap partition.
If I do this it will replace Maemo and make it so it will boot directly, correct? What is the speed difference in running it off the internal memory card and the Flash? Where can I read about setting up part of the internal memory card as swap, or better yet, as swap and more space for applications? maybe I have missed it, is there a wiki or FAQ or similar that I can read to answer this and some of my other questions?

Michael

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by MSchievelbein View Post
If I do this it will replace Maemo and make it so it will boot directly, correct? What is the speed difference in running it off the internal memory card and the Flash? Where can I read about setting up part of the internal memory card as swap, or better yet, as swap and more space for applications? maybe I have missed it, is there a wiki or FAQ or similar that I can read to answer this and some of my other questions?
I've tried Mer on my Flash and on the SD card. The SD card version is a bit faster, but the flash version is usable. I didn't do any real tests but it seemed that I mostly noticed the speed difference during compression sort of tasks like updating/installing packages. Both are plenty usable. I haven't yet compared standard Mer on a SD card versus the 48Mhz kernel, but I've been planning to as soon as I get a chance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
I followed instructions.
I already have bootmenu.conf. I try answer "Yes" and "No" on question add config to bootmenu.conf. But result is the same:
Incompatible boot menu
I'm sure mer rootfs on second SD partition.
SD with diablo boot normally.

When it has Qt and Shopper of course

I go back to maemo.
1. Needs turn hardware keyboard. Al lot of Fn keys show wrong symbols.
For example "*","-" ...
2. network manager window bigger than screen and needs to have scroll bar.
3. Sometime can't close application - no menu and Ctrl-q doesn't work
4. Can't find sound modules.
5. Don't like that soft keyboard open when hardware used.

What compatibility does Mer have with the existing catalog of Maemo apps out there?

I tried it out and none of the standard repositories are there by default, so I have assumed that it isn't compatible.

It needs fbreader, pidgin, skype and claws to be good to go for me.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Great work on 0.12 !!

I voted 'NO', for now. My main sore point is the lack of text entry within Midori. Mer is coming along nicely though! Congrats to everyone involved.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by svs57 View Post
I followed instructions.
I already have bootmenu.conf. I try answer "Yes" and "No" on question add config to bootmenu.conf. But result is the same:
Incompatible boot menu
I'm sure mer rootfs on second SD partition.
SD with diablo boot normally.
Are you using Deblet/Mer bootmenu? If not, please install it. Normal bootmenu (for maemo OS) breaks. You alsa have to have linuxrc option in the bootmenu.item. If you used installer, please see /etc/bootmenu.d/ for correct bootmenu item. This might also help you:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Documentation/Bootmenu

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I voted no, simply because the overall experience isn't quite what it should be. OTOH, I firmly believe in this project. It's probably what I wanted to have when I got my 770. I even got myself a brand new N810 last week so I can experiment with Mer and I have to admit I'm more impressed with Mer on my N800 now than I am with the new N810

One question, though: There's some things that I'd expect to be known, like windows blocking each other or can't be closed, pre-installed applications not starting etc. ... would it still be useful to file "user-level bugs" (=I can describe what happens, but not why) about such things or would that only generate useless noise ATM because you're aware of these issues, anyway? (Or would rather have more qualified bug reports at this stage of development?)

Also, is the maemo bugzilla (product Mer) the preferred place for bug reports? Even for applications running on Mer but have errors?)

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-04-28 at 06:31.

Tags
day-to-day, mer, release, usable