Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I registered then unregistered because I noticed the Dates are a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I feel this was a bad idea because lots of people like myself have to set our vacation up at the first of the year and can't take 3 work days off to go.

I don't know if people's work was taken into consideration when planning the event this year or if this event is more for the professional dev that will be paid by their work to go to this event.
I understand your feelings andrew, I feel the same way. I have registered for the 3 days and I dearly hope I can go, but it means I need to work up 3 days of flexi time just to get the time off from my manager. I can't really afford the €200 for two nights hotel anyway, so I'll try and pick my days to which has the most interesting topics or to avoid the day of the Randoll G Arnold lecture.. only kidding Texrat!

Most conferences Ive been to have had a weekend element, I hope that's something that can be considered in future MeeGo conferences (even as a convention/side show to the main event). Although I'd like to be there Im pretty sure the conference is not aimed at people like me, I'm really just a curious hobbyist trying to learn a few things and get into a big corporate event Also, I just wanna be nosey and see what the people on here look like in real life .. well that's the main reason to be honest

Edit:
I actually just contacted D4 hotels myself and booked Nov 15-17 for £90 which is €110. Thats for both nights, not inc breakfast.

According to the Meego conference organisers, "a discounted hotel rate (from €105 per night) has been organised at the nearby D4 hotels" - ok that does include breakfast and I don't know how fancy the rooms are, but it's also double the price! If you're strapped for cash and just want a standard room in the same hotel with a double bed all to yourself and wi-fi my suggestion would be to make your own arrangements and save yourself €100.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-17 at 01:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I'll try and pick my days to which has the most interesting topics or to avoid the day of the Randoll G Arnold lecture.. only kidding Texrat!
Oh, trust me, I learned my lesson from last year. If I'm ever asked again to turn a 20 minute talk into 5, I will politely decline.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I don't know if people's work was taken into consideration when planning the event this year or if this event is more for the professional dev that will be paid by their work to go to this event.
If you haven't realized it yet, the MeeGo project really isn't interested in unaffiliated contributors, so best get used to it or move on. . . .

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
If you haven't realized it yet, the MeeGo project really isn't interested in unaffiliated contributors, so best get used to it or move on. . . .
I've moved on, my N900 is now nothing more then a toy to me.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
What is the complaint exactly?

It's a 3 day conference with expected professional quality but registration free of charge and a sponsorship program specially dedicated to unaffiliated contributors. Free lunch and coffee breaks and probably free social events every evening. Free streaming and video downloads organized for those willing to follow and not able to come. Not the usual setting of a conference targeting a corporate audience.

A Sunday program is being discussed based on initiatives that, until today, have been proposed by unaffiliated contributors in the MeeGo Forum. If there would be critical mass and initiative for a weekend program I'm sure that something could be worked out.

What else do you want? Please propose at the meego-community list, where the organization is being discussed. How does the ranting here help?

Also, I haven't looked in detail at the sessions proposed and the participants registered but I'd say the level of affiliated vs non-affiliated are similar to those of the Maemo Summit.

btw, the prices for the recommended hotel correspond to double rooms. Share the room and you get half price. Getting cheap and big hotels right next to the venue in a city like Dublin was not possible. The organization made some compromises and of course you are free to set your own arrangements.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-08-17 at 04:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
If I was accustomed to traveling abroad outside US borders, this would look GREAT! I look forward to seeing the broadcasts/recordings!! Will there also be any US-side conferences in the future (would be ESPECIALLY good to have near/around Intel's HQ in Silicon Valley, if you want to involve other manufacturers)?

At the risk of pissing off people here I consider friends, let's keep this one on topic, please. I have my issues with the subject matter also so I sympathize but let's not drag it into every thread. Thanks guys. No offense meant.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If I was accustomed to traveling abroad outside US borders, this would look GREAT! I look forward to seeing the broadcasts/recordings!! Will there also be any US-side conferences in the future (would be ESPECIALLY good to have near/around Intel's HQ in Silicon Valley, if you want to involve other manufacturers)?
As I understand it, the plan is to sync conferences up with the major OS release schedule, and mix up the locations. I believe there has been tentative talk to hold the next major MeeGo-oriented event in the US. I have also been informed that a Qt roadshow is planned for the US next year. I will keep everyone informed of what I know on both counts when I know it (unless Quim beats me to it, as he likely will).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
As I understand it, the plan is to sync conferences up with the major OS release schedule, and mix up the locations. I believe there has been tentative talk to hold the next major MeeGo-oriented event in the US. I have also been informed that a Qt roadshow is planned for the US next year. I will keep everyone informed of what I know on both counts when I know it (unless Quim beats me to it, as he likely will).
That would rock. So. Much. Thanks, Tex!

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
btw, the prices for the recommended hotel correspond to double rooms. Share the room and you get half price. Getting cheap and big hotels right next to the venue in a city like Dublin was not possible. The organization made some compromises and of course you are free to set your own arrangements.
Thanks Quim, the double room is what I have booked for myself. So Im not sure how it could cost €200 to share a room in the D4 whereas you can book a double room for yourself and not sharing for €110. But it doesnt matter, there is the option for both

For example, I took one of the hotels mentioned by the MeeGo team (D4 Hotels Ballsbridge Inn, beside the Aviva) and priced it on Expedia for November 15-17 and the rate is the same as what I paid, £90 (€110) for the two nights.

Double

Breakfast not included

Mon 15-Nov-2010 to Wed 17-Nov-2010 Mon Tue Total rate*
Availability request: 1 room

£90.40
Book It

* Expedia Special Rate totals include: taxes, service fees, and extra guest charges.
1 double bed or 2 single beds. Premium bedding. Desk. Satellite television service. Cable/satellite television channels. Direct-dial phone. Voice mail. Shower/tub combination. Handheld shower. Hair dryer. Iron/ironing board. Trouser press. Wheelchair accessible. Climate control.
I checked into this further, and what appears to have happened is that the more expensive rooms (like the executive rooms and the family rooms) have been block booked. If these have been reserved for the conference, that is maybe why it's more expensive. However, cheaper rate rooms are available at the same hotels for those who enquire directly rather than through the MeeGo conference site.

I don't mean this to be ranting or anything, I apologise if it's come across that way . For those sponsored by Nokia/Intel, their employer, etc it doesn't matter, right, cos they aren't paying for it. All I'm suggesting is that for those on a budget they may wish to approach the hotel directly and stay at the same hotel but for half the price as paying for it through the MeeGo conference website. €100 is a big saving, that's a lot of beer tokens! It might mean the difference between someone being able to afford to stay 1 night or 2, so I wanted to mention it in case it helped someone.. thats all

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-08-17 at 12:34.