Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
N810 and N800 can rotate everything with xrandr, and it all works fine. If an app is messed up rotated, just "unrotate" the display. Simple.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
@Thesandlord, I think he want an automatic rotation in iPhone/Symbian style

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
ffs stop trying to kill some ones passion for making Maemo better while offering no real arguments why its not possible.
if you dont like the ideas theres no need to give the threads activity by posting in them simple as that.
this sort of thing is happening way too much when some one trys to start ideas or asks for unsupported features, if certain people get annoyed by it guess what its only going to get worse when N900 is launched so get used to it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
ffs stop trying to kill some ones passion for making Maemo better while offering no real arguments why its not possible.
if you dont like the ideas theres no need to give the threads activity by posting in them simple as that.
this sort of thing is happening way too much when some one trys to start ideas or asks for unsupported features, if certain people get annoyed by it guess what its only going to get worse when N900 is launched so get used to it.
Who told you its unsupported feature? The only thing that isn't supported is the rotating mechanism. How would rotate every single element in GUI to fit the rotated mode while keeping everything visible and use-able.

There is already an active thread talking about this and he decided to start a new one?! (He is even in that thread!)
I didn't post here to discourage anyone ,but to give more reason why its currently isn't possible (Which by harmattan is more likely to happen then now) and no need to say that I am not against this idea (as actually people normally handling the phone with one hand)

By the way if you need to see problem from a graphical way, I wont mind making some picture to show what I am talking about in a better way.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by f(x) View Post
Why I felt that if i just post that you will bring a symbian topic to me.
Symbian is using a really really limited user interface. In other word, this environment can be easily predicated and shifted the way you like.
Well nothing's easy. I don't think developers should only handle the simple stuff, either. But I see some of your point. That's why I started this thread, so those that want it and have a desire to work on implementing it can meet and work on it here.

Shouting on me to read the thread is a troll in itself! I don't blindly click on a thread and start talking useless on them & I checked your brainstorm before posting mine to see if you actually had an acceptable solution which you weren't.
I apologize. I wasn't trying to yell, just emphasize the purpose of the thread. I have met much opposition on this subject, and despite users wanting it, developers for the most part don't, so I need those that do to work together. I was annoying the ones who don't and getting nowhere before.

Now notice the thread said,"HELP SUPPORT asr", not debate about it or speak against it. I'm just asking you to honor the thread purpose and please try to stay on topic.

Thank you for viewing my brainstorm. You should know that while I consider myself pretty tech savvy, my developer skills are nonexistent (I do a little Basic, that's it), and I only speak from an end user perspective. I'm doing the best I can.

If you have any skills whatsoever in writing code or working in the software development process, please submit any possible solutions to the issue, no matter how hard they may be to implement. It would really help. I'm looking for insight, and even if you don't like my idea, comment on the brainstorm and give us another perspective. They are welcome there.

It is nice to post about your wishes , but you should even consider the limits you are dealing with.
I'll leave that to the developers. Or do you think only those with developer skills should be submitting brainstorm ideas? I felt that might be the best course, believe it or not. I don't think any of the developers will ever take a normal user seriously. They haven't so far, not one.

Back to enlighten you more, I am not going to ask you develop me a program, I will ask you to open Paint and draw me a graphical user interface for a program you can think about it in with respecting to the way windows UI act. Now try to do the same with limiting your self with symbian UI. Now you will see why its easy to rotate the screen with symbian than n900.
Well, I don't have time to be drawing, and I won't right now, but I will tell you, my Windows PC's screen rotates, and the portrait display looks pretty good on it, so I don't see your point.

But I appreciate your input nonetheless. Maybe my experience doesn't lend itself to doing this. I just don't know how else things will ever get done otherwise, so this is what I'm going to do until something else materializes.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Who told you its unsupported feature? The only thing that isn't supported is the rotating mechanism. How would rotate every single element in GUI to fit the rotated mode while keeping everything visible and use-able.
FYI, ASR isn't supported in the N900 yet. See the N97 for an example of rotating every single element in the GIU. Running at 360x640 isn't so far from 480x800, so I don't see any logic in your reasoning. It may be foreign to you, but I've been using ASR for almost 3 years on Nokia smartphones and loved it. I think once it hits the N900 (and it will if I have anything to do with it), you'll see what I mean.

I already know of someone saying it was done on the N8xx, so its definitely possible, just needs some hard thinking to get it done.

There is already an active thread talking about this and he decided to start a new one?! (He is even in that thread!)
I was basically asked to leave it alone, just like you did, in the various threads debating the issue. I don't wish to debate it, just provide a space for those that support it. The other threads have gotten me so upset I lost my cool, all because of those interfering with those looking to support a solution. Please respect us here and don't do the same in this thread. I titled it the way I did to avoid that very thing.

I didn't post here to discourage anyone ,but to give more reason why its currently isn't possible (Which by harmattan is more likely to happen then now) and no need to say that I am not against this idea (as actually people normally handling the phone with one hand)
Well where's anything constructive to add? We know Harmattan is expected to have it, so it IS feasible, and this is a thread to find a solution for Fremantle. If you aren't against this idea or thread, how do you act when you oppose something? I'm afraid to see.

By the way if you need to see problem from a graphical way, I wont mind making some picture to show what I am talking about in a better way.
Please do, but I think the real issue is you don't have an idea of how it can be done successfully, when it already has been done for OS 2008 and S60 5th. But I'm open to seeing what you have to show, so by all means share. If I had a screenshot app for my PC, I'd show some examples of it working on devices of the same resolution. Look at the WinMo devices with 800x480. They do it. Why can't Maemo? What makes Maemo such a hard nut to crack?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS

i never said it was unsupported read again i was generalising about what happens everytime some one makes a thread about about missing or unsupported feature.
the GUI problems with rotation can be over come its not undoable, matter in fact various solutions was put forward in other threads

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I apologize. I wasn't trying to yell, just emphasize the purpose of the thread. I have met much opposition on this subject, and despite users wanting it, developers for the most part don't, so I need those that do to work together. I was annoying the ones who don't and getting nowhere before.
I will skip answering this, too big to answer and I am already sleepy

Now notice the thread said,"HELP SUPPORT asr", not debate
about it or speak against it. I'm just asking you to honor the thread purpose and please try to stay on topic.
I will honor the fact that you won't take the negative aspects of the topic part and also I am not wiling to stay on this thread for any longer to keep myself on its topic

Thank you for viewing my brainstorm. You should know that while I consider myself pretty tech savvy, my developer skills are nonexistent (I do a little Basic, that's it), and I only speak from an end user perspective. I'm doing the best I can.
Without brainstorming a lots of stuff won't be existed by now an I do really hope I didn't discourage you from making any brainstorming ,all what I tried was giving a reason of why its won't work in order to search for a better solution (You cant fix something isn't broken and you cant propose a solution for something you don't know anything about) - Consider me doing my role as devil advocate

If you have any skills whatsoever in writing code or working in the software development process, please submit any possible solutions to the issue, no matter how hard they may be to implement. It would really help. I'm looking for insight, and even if you don't like my idea, comment on the brainstorm and give us another perspective. They are welcome there.
There are many solutions ,but not practical and the one that looks good is forcing developers even more to be restricted in designing their GUI which after all not good

I'll leave that to the developers. Or do you think only those with developer skills should be submitting brainstorm ideas? I felt that might be the best course, believe it or not. I don't think any of the developers will ever take a normal user seriously. They haven't so far, not one.
If you think a kid shouldn't dream, then adults won't have any childhood.
Brainstorming is a major part in everything (Except in my writing) , so its really needed

Well, I don't have time to be drawing, and I won't right now, but I will tell you, my Windows PC's screen rotates, and the portrait display looks pretty good on it, so I don't see your point.
The reason why it is working fine with your laptop is because there is enough resolution that your programs can make a use of which shows them as they should.
Anyway don't worry about paint, I'll make some draw when I wake up

Anyway I am off to sleep its already late here

Edit: Oh boy, I have to respond for your next post

I guess...

@NvyUs: My short answer is wait when the device gets within people hands and then someone might take the time to fix it.
I was basically asked to leave it alone, just like you did, in the various threads debating the issue. I don't wish to debate it, just provide a space for those that support it. The other threads have gotten me so upset I lost my cool, all because of those interfering with those looking to support a solution. Please respect us here and don't do the same in this thread. I titled it the way I did to avoid that very thing.
[I think you will find my respond to this on my other post]
Well where's anything constructive to add? We know Harmattan is expected to have it, so it IS feasible, and this is a thread to find a solution for Fremantle. If you aren't against this idea or thread, how do you act when you oppose something? I'm afraid to see.
Trust me, You really don't wana know & and as one of solutions you can tell everyone to use containers when they are building their GUI
Please do, but I think the real issue is you don't have an idea of how it can be done successfully, when it already has been done for OS 2008 and S60 5th. But I'm open to seeing what you have to show, so by all means share. If I had a screenshot app for my PC, I'd show some examples of it working on devices of the same resolution. Look at the WinMo devices with 800x480. They do it. Why can't Maemo? What makes Maemo such a hard nut to crack?
I will answer this when I have the time & I am already aware about that (Symbian is simply limited in its GUI) & OS 2008 (Just search here and see how its been rotate to get a better idea) & About WinMo if you dont mind link me to screenshots/video that shows that to me I am not following Windows Mobiles for long time.

Funny, I didn't except to have many people to argue with them in many forums at this time! I guess I am done for today
Time for the bed.

Tags
chris vs landscape mode