Active Topics

I don't know what "usb-otg-plugin" is, but I do know that all you need is "usbcontrol".

I tried "usbcontrol" first, but it didn't do anything when I launched it (i.e. no window, icon, etc). Does it rely on something else to make it run?

Right now I am using Advanced Power Monitor as a work-around since it has an option to switch between host and otg.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
No need for software if you have the right cable.

Cable - microUSB to Female USB A. Automaticaly sets the USB to OTG.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=H11576-ND
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by ee_gary View Post
I tried "usbcontrol" first, but it didn't do anything when I launched it (i.e. no window, icon, etc). Does it rely on something else to make it run?

Right now I am using Advanced Power Monitor as a work-around since it has an option to switch between host and otg.
As long as you install it from the application manager, it should work perfectly. That's how I've always installed it, and I use it on a regular basis.

there were some really cheap (and working) cables on ebay for this. They are more expensive right now but still cheaper than the one from digikey.

all of the software solutions caused me problems sooner or later. go with the cable.

Thanks recommending the cable vs software. I was planning to purchase a coupler AND use software to switch mode.

Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Min...5350437&sr=8-9

It's not clear to me what is required to get OTG to automatically switch USB modes. For example, is it enough to just get the connectors right, or is there something else special that needs to be done?

Please note, I have an N800, so I think that means I need a miniUSB instead of microUSB.

Thanks!

Thanks recommending the cable vs software. I was planning to purchase a coupler AND use software to switch mode.

Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Min...5350437&sr=8-9

It's not clear to me what is required to get OTG to automatically switch USB modes. For example, is it enough to just get the connectors right, or is there something else special that needs to be done?

Please note, I have an N800, so I think that means I need a miniUSB instead of microUSB.

Thanks!
The connection is switched by how the cable connector is wired. You need do nothing else other than plug things in. I have no specific experience with the adapter you wish to buy.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

So even if the ends are correct, there is no way to tell if it will engage the automatic OTG switch because that depends on some wiring internal to the USB A to miniUSB adapter?

In other words, go with an adapter others have used successfully, or take a chance on something new that might work (but depends on how it's wired inside).

So even if the ends are correct, there is no way to tell if it will engage the automatic OTG switch because that depends on some wiring internal to the USB A to miniUSB adapter?

In other words, go with an adapter others have used successfully, or take a chance on something new that might work (but depends on how it's wired inside).
That would be my advice. Mine works great with USB memory sticks and keyboards. The N810 was a little finicky on which SDHC card readers it would work with. The following reader does work.

Targus TGR-SD20 SDHC reader
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9722060

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post: