Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Try using the Ctrl+backspace shortcut from the HW keyboard to access the Dashboard. Very useful for instance in full screen mode browser.

Then again, I at least yesterday thought that "Next task" and "Previous task" would be very nice keyboard shortcuts.
Thanks! This saved my day (today at least).

But I still think it would be nice to get the camera button rewired. It even has two stages, half-way and full press.

Maybe something like this:

- One half-way press: go to dashboard
- Second half-way press: go back to the last application
- Full press: go to the desktop
- Open camera cover: go to camera app and go back to default shutter button behaviour

And of course they should be programmable. I could even give it a shot if I find some way of reprogramming the button...

Last edited by kortsi; 2009-11-14 at 13:26. Reason: typo

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kortsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I would love to see the camera button be configuable. Different things for different people. I can certianly see the usefulness for dashboard/desktop. For instance, while browsing, I don't always need/want to have the keyboard out. Reading ebooks/pdf, etc is another case.

It'd be much easier to hit the camera button rather than slide out the keyboard, press a key combo, slide keyboard back in.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2009-11-14 at 13:35. Reason: typos

Ive said it many times before - touchscreen with D pad (say nseries D pad) on the bottom, and possibly 2 buttons at the top = perfect. dpad could be useful for certain functions plus rotated to landscape games would be amazing.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
The idea for the camera button is fantastic. It would be great if someone could program it so it adds more functionality to it when the lens cover is closed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lacedaemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I have managed to create a simple application (read: quick hack) to accomplish this.

Started from xterm, it grabs a key (which should be the camera key) and when that key is pressed in any application then the app signals via dbus for the dashboard to appear (doesn't seem to work on desktop or in app menu).

I don't have the actual device yet but it works in scratchbox. Currently the key is F10 (not sure which key the actual camera key maps to).

The keypress gets eaten by my app so no other application can receive it. The app is obviously not ready to be packaged just yet, but it should prove that this is possible I'll try to make this into a real application once I receive my device.

Is the lens protector mapped to a X11 keycode?

Last edited by hqh; 2009-11-14 at 16:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
I have managed to create a simple application (read: quick hack) to accomplish this.

Started from xterm, it grabs a key (which should be the camera key) and when that key is pressed in any application then the app signals via dbus for the dashboard to appear (doesn't seem to work on desktop or in app menu).

I don't have the actual device yet but it works in scratchbox. Currently the key is F10 (not sure which key the actual camera key maps to).

The keypress gets eaten by my app so no other application can receive it. The app is obviously not ready to be packaged just yet, but it should prove that this is possible

Any idea how to check the keycodes on the tablet? There's no xev command by default.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kortsi View Post
Any idea how to check the keycodes on the tablet? There's no xev command by default.
Xev can be found from package x11-utils (on the SDK at least).
Edit: Armel version exists at http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fre...e/x/x11-utils/

Last edited by hqh; 2009-11-14 at 17:02.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...he-nokia-n900/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

The keypress gets eaten by my app so no other application can receive it. The app is obviously not ready to be packaged just yet, but it should prove that this is possible I'll try to make this into a real application once I receive my device.

Awesome. And you don't even have the device yet! An app that reprograms buttons would certainly find a large market among those who want to tailor their devices.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
It's accessible as button via Hal: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_cam_shutter

The camera button is also exposed via Hal: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_cam_focus (for pressing it just lightly) and /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_cam_launch (for pressing it normally). You can get the events via D-Bus on the system bus. HTH.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: