Well, I uninstalled the new BT plugin, rebooted, reinstalled, and rebooted, and now it works just fine. I have no explaination, that's just what happened. I'm VERY happy now, thanks for the info and the link to the new plugin, and the work it took to develop this.
Now my iT postings will be long-winded....Yay...
Hey, how do I use the Right-Function, Green key?
I wanted to enter an exclaimation mark, which is a Right-Function "Q" key, and all I get is gobbeldygook. Do I need to remap the keyboard?

edit:
The problem appears to be the posting function on this forum.
It appears to not like combined function key entries.
Any workarounds?

Last edited by j.pickens; 2006-07-03 at 19:19.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Northern Italy
Originally Posted by dcarter
I got the GPS side of this plug in to recognize my bluetooth GPS unit.
After that, I used Maemo Mapper (thanks gnulite!!!! you're the best!!!) with bluetooth coming in from my thinkoutside keyboard, bluetooth coming in from the GPS unit I bought (69.99 at Frys), and bluetooth coming in loading the maps and finding the waypoint coordinates via data tether from my phone.
Nice to hear the plugin sort of work for GPS as well.

.....on topic, using the enter key with any google search field results in a browser crash. Using the keyboard at all on the google search applet causes "the bug", said shutdown...
Yes I will soon investigate about the issue with changing the input method. I am starting to think it's an OS issue of some kind, but perhaps there is some workaround to solve (hope so!). Or I missed something about what the plugin actually does.

I personally don't mind this kind of trial and error; yes it would be nice and all for everything to be done at once, but we all remain in a wonderful, successful (sort-of) experiment of open-source-driven encroachment into the future market share of an inferior, bloated software giant.
/rant
Me too. I bought the keyboard _knowing_ there were no support for it. But we have linux, we had a keyboard plugin for IT2005, so someone had to do it sooner or later

Originally Posted by wiredless
lele gave me the mentioned drive above. Overall its working pretty good with a ThinkOutside.

I'm using a ThinkOutside Universal BT... I'll be danged if I can figure out the proper layout to use.. I tried default and the 3 (4?) TO layouts, but my 'y' and 'z' are transposed. Any thoughts?

i'm in the US, use a US layout...

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Portland, Oregon USA
I'm having problems with my TO Universal BT keyboard, too. In my case, the keyboard and the IT pair just fine, but the only characters I can enter are punctuation (.,; etc.) and the number "1". Very strange.

I've tried Default and all three of the TO options from the layout list, but no luck.

Anyone have ideas?

Note that the package was updated on july 30. I'm going to try it out tonight. Would be curious if the input bug is resolved or whether there are workarounds/ways to mitigate.

http://770.fs-security.com/maemo-bt-plugin/

Originally Posted by idiotprogrammer
Note that the package was updated on july 30. I'm going to try it out tonight. Would be curious if the input bug is resolved or whether there are workarounds/ways to mitigate.

http://770.fs-security.com/maemo-bt-plugin/
Pairs fine with Nokia SU-8W Bluetooth keybooard, but with 'out of the box' Layout: Nokia SU-8W Scandinavian I can´t type Öö Ää üÜ - should I use xmodmap or something?

Originally Posted by spycedtx
I'm using a ThinkOutside Universal BT... I'll be danged if I can figure out the proper layout to use.. I tried default and the 3 (4?) TO layouts, but my 'y' and 'z' are transposed. Any thoughts?

i'm in the US, use a US layout...

I have exactly the same problem with z and y and many other mismapped keys with the ThinkOutside Stowaway BT KB, so much so that I rarely use it as it's such a pain to type with. I can give a long list of the problems if anyone's interested, but I'm hoping someone will say you're using the wrong layout (QWERTZ) - try this one (QWERTY).

Yes, I have tried selecting all of the options available with the BT plugin - no joy though. One can never completetly rule out personal incompetance though!

spycedtx : did you get this issue sorted? If so, how?

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Maybe it is the ' Dvorak ' (?) keyboard.

Last edited by Arjun; 2006-08-25 at 16:16.

My TO stowaway was being treated as a qwertz ( European) kbd. The trick is to change the layout in the Settings->Layout dialog to the _second_ Thinkoutside Stowaway layout. The second one is the en-us qwerty layout.

The problem is the dialog box is too narrow to display the full names of the layouts, which are shown in lexical order from /usr/share/kb-maps

sean

Originally Posted by seandarcy
My TO stowaway was being treated as a qwertz ( European) kbd. The trick is to change the layout in the Settings->Layout dialog to the _second_ Thinkoutside Stowaway layout. The second one is the en-us qwerty layout.

The problem is the dialog box is too narrow to display the full names of the layouts, which are shown in lexical order from /usr/share/kb-maps

sean
I must be missing something. It doesn't matter what I choose in the settings for layout in the BT plug-in, the output from my keyboard never changes - i.e. 'Z' always produces 'Y'. It's as if the layout settings are being ignored. Any ideas?

With regard to DVORAK, it's my preferred layout (my Touchstream keyboard is DVORAK). Now there's a great bit of technology.