Originally Posted by qole View Post
What applications on the computer (as opposed to the handheld) tend to burn the bandwidth?
Software updates would be a big one.

Maps can eat bandwidth. Palm version of Google Maps on GVM shows size of downloaded tiles and it is about 350k per map screen and 1M per satellite view.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I already use my tablet as a full time computer, doing almost everything on it these days. I am connected to about 7 different protocols, have about 40 RSS feeds updating and receive e-mail... on top of my regular web use.

My latest bill was for 1.8GB. I'm sure the reason for some of that was that the RSS feed reader was downloading all images as well for my feeds, so I turned that off, feed by feed to reduce my costs.

I believe my average use was between 50 and 80MB per day.
zerojay, do you run your tablet through your mobile phone all the time, or do you use a lot of WiFi? I'm asking because I can get WiFi at work and at home and many other places that I frequent...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
When I'm at home, it's on wifi. Everywhere else, phone all day long, so I'll probably have higher average charges than you.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
That would really depend on which IM networks you're using. FWIW, although it's hard to compare, my friend worked out Skype's usage for his desktop, and figured that it would use >2GB just sitting idle, in a month. While this was on 15Mbps connection (for which I believe Skype increases its BW usage), Skype is still going to be something you won't want to leave running all of the time, most likely.
2GB a month while idle? Damn!

I think that's because Skype acts sort of like a P2P protocal routing calls through you?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Contract-free is definitely important now!

debernardis mentioned to me that a company that has been operating in his home country, Italy, is coming to Canada as soon as this Fall, bringing with them (hopefully) European pricing.

http://www.windmobile.ca/

It looks like the best price right now for voice + HSDPA data at Fido is $15 (minimal voice) + $25 (500MB data) = $40 per month.

My iPhone-using friend says that 500MB/month should be fine for even a power-user like me.

I sure hope that Wind can get up and running by the time the RX-51 is available in Canada... And that they can give us the prices of a "civilized country".
Hey, thanks for the tip on windmobile. I've added a comment on data on their site. http://www.windmobile.ca/WIND-news/d...a/#comment1311

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think that's because Skype acts sort of like a P2P protocal routing calls through you?
Yes, that's why. However, I believe the amount of bandwidth it uses is dependant on the speed of your connection, and the Maemo 5 client may well be tuned to use less, given that it's intended for the phone. Just speculation...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I don't know how, but I apparently used 1.4GB of data even though the tablet was idle most of the time. :/

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I don't know how, but I apparently used 1.4GB of data even though the tablet was idle most of the time.
Muahahahaha! My pingflood attack on your bank account worked! Now, to take over the world!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
canada, data, rx-51, wind