Notices

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by DanielMartin View Post
Most digital cameras (including the one on the N900) can still pick up infrared to some degree, despite the IR filter.

For an example, start the camera app, point a TV remote control into the lens and press a few buttons, you'll be able to see the IR LED in the remote light up on the N900's screen.
AFAIK that doesn't work! Tried with my TV and my stereo remote, but my other phone and my old digi-cam did show the IR spots from both. Just tested with an IR device with both front and backside cams, both did not show anything like the others do. We also tested it with N900 CIR to N900 Cam to test if qtirreco sends anything, did not work too.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@chemist
N900 can see IR, see the image attached (not the best, but I think it proves the point).
Attached Images

Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Ok I see, maybe its just another frequency. I tested only the two remotes in my office and the IRDA of another phone to check. But thats not anything like I see on my other phones/cams. This looks like a candle compared to a car on fire.
I will have a look for an IR torch with different frequencies... might never come back though... the basement is like a dungeon and I am aware of dragons...

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
Look straight down into your n900 lens, see that shiny red thing?
That is the infrared blocking filter

Sorry but why the cam is blocking IR? The camera works bad if it get IR light?
I want to take some IR pics but normal ones too. So I don't know what is the best: leaving or quiting the IR filter?

Originally Posted by anyeos View Post
Sorry but why the cam is blocking IR? The camera works bad if it get IR light?
I want to take some IR pics but normal ones too. So I don't know what is the best: leaving or quiting the IR filter?
Without IR filter,it will ruin the normal images,the primary reason (focus,colors etc).

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Basicaly, the pixel responsible for registering red light are also sensitive to IR light. But they cannot distinguish between red and IR.
So you need to filter one of the two if you want any meaningful picture.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Aah ok but there are no always IR light in the environment. Just testing indoor for example there are near nothing of IR light.
Outdoor sunny day have much more IR light. But cloudy there are a few IR light.

So I guess if I quit the IR filter I will get bad pics only in sunny days. Just of course the best time to take landscape pics. But that is acceptable.

Am I right?

Anyway I just noticed that the N900 cam is not so good to take IR pics. And as I can see, it is very difficult to take out the IR filter. So I don't will try it, I guess can damage the Carl Zeiss lens :P

But, why just the IR light is white in the display and not red if it is only captured with red pixels sensors?

And as you can see in TV it is greenish not red. I don't understand that, lol.

Thanks to all.