Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have hundreds of Audible books as well, from my six years as a fanatical member. They work great with Orb. Also, something like alt.binaries.audiobooks is an effective source. I don't care if the books are big; a few gigs of storage space go a long way.

I had some audible books a couple of years ago that I struggled to convert to mp3 (my player wasn't listed). Afterdawn.com had info I had a look and found this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23/103313
It provides info to convert aa format that you own to mp3 apparently converting a 5 and a half hour book in 10 minutes.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
I converted some of my Audibles to mp3 by burning them to a virtual cd drive with Nero then ripping them to mp3. The only problem with Nero is that it only allows a couple virtual CD drives. I should have bought Alcohol 110% as it allows a full alphabet of virtual drives. The problem with ORB is that you have to have an internet conection. This is awkward in a car or walking to work. I really don't care how big an audiobook file is since I only listen to one book at a time and SD cards are cheap. Not being able to use my N800 to listen to books is a major disappointment.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Who says we can't play amr-wb .

I'm playing the art of war on my tablet right now, no ****. I promise. I'll release in a min.

BTW: I've done my good deed for the day, I don't even need AMR-WB :P

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
@RogerS

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...5&goto=newpost

For audiobooks, I plan on updating the gmplayer to list awb files so you can resume them back.

EDIT: I got gmplayer to list awb files but it is not worth it as I cannot figure out how to close mplayer cleanly and gmplauncher will not let me resume the awb file anyway.

So no resume, but you can play them at least :P

Yes, I know it isn't the Nokia's Audiobook Player but I guess that what the Open Source community is there for. And I didn't do this for personal gain too (I don't use audiobooks :P)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-10 at 10:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
All right!

I can't wait to try this out this evening.

You're a prince, qwerty12!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I tried the Afterdawn kit for converting .aa files and it didn't work for me.

Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
All right!

I can't wait to try this out this evening.

You're a prince, qwerty12!
Thanks!

Now I feel honoured

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get resume support and fast-forward seems to be broken. Not good but maybe you can create files with short times on them?

I've played the art of war using "mplayer /media/mmc1/The\ Art\ of\ War/artofwar_01_sun.awb"

Pressing space in console pauses, 0 brings up volume, / brings it down.

It seems stable , most of my ports/fixes usually have problems >.<

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-10 at 20:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I would really like to use this on my relatively new 810 for news and information podcasts. I use something called mortplayer on my iPAQ (Windows Mobile). Never mind the format and saving a few megabytes - the bookmarking/resume feature is critical. I would also like to be able to have it speed up (without sounding like chipmonks) or slowdown with the touch of a button.

It looks like the executable is a .sis (for Symbian?) can this run on a 810? is there an emulator or something out there? One of the Nokia pages says it is compatible; another does not list it.

Hehe, I just saw the update, thanks!

If you really want a binary of the gmplauncher that shows amr files, I can post it up but it's pretty restricting. You cannot pause from it, you cannot change the mplayer volume ( setting volume from the top applet works though) , maemo comes up and says that it isn't responding (i find it best to leave this on the screen) and if you kill gmplauncher while a book is still playing, you have to "kiilall mplayer" anyway.

Still tempted?