Active Topics

Notices

Guys, honestly. Maemo Mapper, or Mapper, or whatever it's called now, is OPEN SOURCE, which means that all you need to do is grab the tarball with the source code in it and have at it. Which then brings up a new question. What are you guys waiting for? Someone should pick up development on the project if the original creator has quit, rather than just whimper and complain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
I'm actively developing it. There's a version in Extras Testing now that will probably end up in the Extras repository soon (as more people vote for it). :-)

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Guys, honestly. Maemo Mapper, or Mapper, or whatever it's called now, is OPEN SOURCE, which means that all you need to do is grab the tarball with the source code in it and have at it. Which then brings up a new question. What are you guys waiting for? Someone should pick up development on the project if the original creator has quit, rather than just whimper and complain.
cheers for the pep talk, i'll stick to *****ing thanks.

Originally Posted by v13 View Post
It is available in extras-testing. It is now named "mapper" because there are trademark issues with the word "maemo".
Thanks, I managed to install it.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by mardy View Post
I'm actively developing it. There's a version in Extras Testing now that will probably end up in the Extras repository soon (as more people vote for it). :-)
I can't vote for it because it will not allow me to add other map repositories and layers.

VE Hybrid to name one that I use...

>> http://h0.ortho.tiles.virtualearth.n...h%0s.jpeg?g=50

...and the NexRad layer is another.

>> http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi...ANSPARENT=TRUE

Apparently you have to add them first in "Manage Tiles/Layers" and I can do that.
Then you have to "Manage Repositories" and create a new one selecting the tile source created in the first step. This goes well too.
However, as soon as that last dialog is dismissed the program crashes and all is lost.

I might not be doing something correctly but this much I figured out myself as selecting "Help" does nothing.

Any help here would be 'preciated. Because right now only Google Vector and Open Streets seem to work. Google Satellite doesn't work, but I think Google changed that addy. I also tried to edit that addy to a newer one in "Manage Tiles/Layers" but it reverts to your old one even after hitting "save".

Good effort though, perhaps this thread can help iron out some of the kinks and squash a few bugs.

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Good effort though, perhaps this thread can help iron out some of the kinks and squash a few bugs.
Hi! Could you please file a bug about this? I don't follow the forums constantly and my todo list for Mapper is so huge that this is probably going to be forgotten, as I don't use the VirtualEarth maps myself.

Hi! Could you please file a bug about this? I don't follow the forums constantly and my todo list for Mapper is so huge that this is probably going to be forgotten, as I don't use the VirtualEarth maps myself.
The problem may not be with the repositories as they work fine in MaemoMapper running on the N8**'s. Have you used the app itself to add repositories on the N900?

I reported it here since you were soliciting votes on this forum. I don't venture to far off the forum myself. Could you provide a link to your bug report mechanism that you speak of please.

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
The problem may not be with the repositories as they work fine in MaemoMapper running on the N8**'s. Have you used the app itself to add repositories on the N900?
Not completely: I always used the preset repositories, and I tried those repository setup dialogs just briefly.

I reported it here since you were soliciting votes on this forum. I don't venture to far off the forum myself. Could you provide a link to your bug report mechanism that you speak of please.
I was not soliciting votes
Here is the link to the bug tracker: https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?at...29&func=browse

Thanks!

...I was not soliciting votes

Thanks!
..that will probably end up in the Extras repository soon (as more people vote for it). :-)
I didn't mean it as a bad thing. In fact a forum as large as this one is the best place to get active, near real time feedback for a program in development, IMHO.

For instance: I would like to see someone else try to set up a different repository from within the application to calibrate my efforts... maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I don't understand the "UniqID" required. It was not part of the N8** set-up. On the N900 I just used the same name as the "Cache dir".
I also don't know if that cache directory needs to be set up first before creating a new tile source.
I vaguely remember something about this from a few versions back using gnuite's original Maemo Mapper program. However, that was later cleared up in subsequent versions.

What version of Maemo Mapper is this program based or sourced from? It doesn't seem to use the newer SQLite map databases and APRS found in Maemo Mapper v2.6.

SLN member # 009

I don't follow the forums constantly and my todo list for Mapper is so huge
Hi Mardy,

I am so glad to hear that someone is continuing the development of the Mapper program (PS Need a better name than this).

Can you give us an idea of what you are planning to work on?

Is there a change log of differences between the "developer" and the current "extras" version?