Active Topics

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Yes, I know. But what the Lifehacker post was saying was you need to have it on the show GV # in order for the incoming calls to be free. Though I was wondering if you could just leave it on the "show caller phone #" and still get incoming for free. Logically it should be yes since GV is the middle-man regardless. But I was wondering if someone had actually tested this.
Ahh, yes...it's free. Don't know why they'd say that.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-10-18 at 21:22.

Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
don't forget you've got to add money to your gv account to make international calls
Yeah know that been doing that from day 1 i had the invite because their rates is dirt cheap compared to others.

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Do you need an invite to use it on the N900?

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
No thank you though. I got mine from Google when they frist started inviting for registered users.
i would still take the Wave invitation.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Anyone care to write up the various ways to implement this on the tablet?

DialCentral, RTCOMM, Fring, Gizmo, Skype, etc.

That part confuses me the most.

Originally Posted by x61 View Post

Yes, until GV actually opens up to the general public you need an invite to use GV. Using GV on the N900 is still the same software as if you were using it on your computer.

-Socrates 469 BC

Could someone with an N900 please test the following and see if it should be added to the summary:

Receive and Send calls with Google Voice using only Data, not Voice Minutes

Google Voice Supports connecting calls made to Gizmo/SIPphone accounts. You can register for an SIPphone account here:

https://my.gizmo5.com/gizmo5/app?class=MySip;proc=start

Once you have that set up, you can add the SIP account to the N900. Follow the directions here:

Finally, go to the Google Voice website and add your "747" number to the account. If you are in an area with strong 3g coverage or always around wifi, it may be wise to disable your normal phone number from call forwarding, that way, you don't get two incoming calls at the same time. When you receive calls, you will only be charged data. To send calls, you can use the Google Voice website and select "send to Gizmo". Again, you will only be charged for data.

---

I kind-of prefer this solution to the myfaves one. First of all, you can buy the individual 300 plan rather than the MyFaves 300 plan and save $10 per month. Also, I remember the T-mobile website saying that only certain phones supported MyFaves - is this incorrect or does the N900 have some sort of MyFaves software barried in it?

Last edited by bocaJ; 2009-10-19 at 00:30.

I don't think certain phones support MyFaves, it's more a plan thing than a phone thing (e.g. you tell TMobile through their website which #s you want to be on the Fav 5 plan).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
Could someone with an N900 please test the following and see if it should be added to the summary:

Receive and Send calls with Google Voice using only Data, not Voice Minutes

Google Voice Supports connecting calls made to Gizmo/SIPphone accounts. You can register for an SIPphone account here:

Once you have that set up, you can add the SIP account to the N900. Follow the directions here:

Finally, go to the Google Voice website and add your "747" number to the account. If you are in an area with strong 3g coverage or always around wifi, it may be wise to disable your normal phone number from call forwarding, that way, you don't get two incoming calls at the same time. When you receive calls, you will only be charged data. To send calls, you can use the Google Voice website and select "send to Gizmo". Again, you will only be charged for data.

---

I kind-of prefer this solution to the myfaves one. First of all, you can buy the individual 300 plan rather than the MyFaves 300 plan and save $10 per month. Also, I remember the T-mobile website saying that only certain phones supported MyFaves - is this incorrect or does the N900 have some sort of MyFaves software barried in it?
MyFavs5 is a plan, it doesn't matter what phone you have. I currently have my E90 on T-Mobile till my N900 gets here and MyFavs5 works just fine.

Also on another note, GV does work data only. Through the browser in my phone I went to the GV Mobile Site, and yep, it works like a charm.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Hi,
I just got a GV acct courtest of the GV request thread. Thanx Thommy!! I had some test calls made to me. The caller ID info is passed perfectly. That's nice, but ATT has a service called A-List, that's like my Favs, etc. In my call log on my phone, it also shows the caller ID/Contact info. Since the call is being tagged with that caller ID info and that's not the GV number in my A-List, will these calls count against my minutes even though they were placed to the GV number? I confused about how that works.

Thanx!