Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
It depends how much you will be spending on it. You might be happier with a lower cost Android phone like the new 3.8" Huawei.
Thank you to you too for the answer.
As I said, I dont' know Android, but it seems a big phenomena. Anyway I think no keyboard on Huaway.
Do you recommend it above the n900? Or is just a budget thing?

Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
@anjin ... it seems the keyboard is very important for you. While @tzsm98 says you may like the keyboard a lot, my experience is not the same. I wished the keys on the n900 were a lil bigger and sensitive to touch, I have to push and press the keys more then I want to. My friends say the same about the n900's keyboard, long chats can be a lil unpleasant. So I'm not sure you will like it or not and I will really advise you to try your best to spend sometime writing on n900 before you buy it.
Hmmm That's bad... I'll try to find some store with a exposition n900 to try the keyboard. But that's not simple at all..

Btw about the home screen customization, I think n900 has the best home screen that no other handset, even these days, can match.

there is a thread around here that says something like "post your n900 screenshots" and people post all kinds of desktops/home-screens, search for it and you will love it.
Yes, I read it, and for it I am sure the n900 multiple home screens can be perfect!

Thank you for your time. Keyboard hard keys... but for the rest are you happy with your n900 experience?
--
Anjin

I'm more then happy. There is no other device like this, a complete computer in your pocket. But i'm a software developer also, so I like n900 more and the things that bother a lot of other ppl dont bother me. So it depends on what do you expect from this kind of modern cell phone.

Btw, a friend is also deciding if he should buy an n900, he is deciding between n900/htc-desire/samsung-galaxy-s. His day job involves working in linux so he is a lot attracted to n900. But I think flash 10 is not coming to n900 (despite the fact that it was demoed by the adobe ppl, video is on youtube) so he is now comfused if he should buy it or not. So you should also note that flash 10 is not on n900 and right now i have no knowledge if its going to be ever available or not. Vimeo.com already doesnt work on my n900 anymore , but youtube still does

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
Yea you should!cus I'm going to buy it too ;D

@abubakar
why you name is my real surname??? this is confused.com!

I'm more then happy. There is no other device like this, a complete computer in your pocket. But i'm a software developer also, so I like n900 more and the things that bother a lot of other ppl dont bother me. So it depends on what do you expect from this kind of modern cell phone.
Well, I like the idea to have a little complete computer in my pocket. I am not a software developer. Despite to be trying several times to study python for my own with the help of some books I never been able to really learn it. I think I'd like to be able to write some my own application but I dont' se it really near to be for the moment. I am a professional graphic designer and a creative. Anyway I try to use at most every hi-tech gadget I own. I used the TH55 for several years until I had to dismiss it... Now I am using the x6 for all I can, but it has some limits that I can not pass over.

Btw, a friend is also deciding if he should buy an n900, he is deciding between n900/htc-desire/samsung-galaxy-s. His day job involves working in linux so he is a lot attracted to n900. But I think flash 10 is not coming to n900 (despite the fact that it was demoed by the adobe ppl, video is on youtube) so he is now comfused if he should buy it or not. So you should also note that flash 10 is not on n900 and right now i have no knowledge if its going to be ever available or not. Vimeo.com already doesnt work on my n900 anymore , but youtube still does
I really didn't see any videos on youtube or vimeo on the mobile, anyway it's bad to know that probably I couldn't if I want.
--
Anjin

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by anjin View Post
Thank you to you too for the answer.
As I said, I dont' know Android, but it seems a big phenomena. Anyway I think no keyboard on Huaway.
Do you recommend it above the n900? Or is just a budget thing?
Yes, I recommended the Android phone because it' brand new, has a larger screen and costs 200euro unlocked.

My N900 is now 18 months old and there's nothing out right now that compares to it. It is truly a little computer but it has limitations. You won't be getting all the new hyped up apps and games that other platforms are getting. If the limitations don't scare you, you'll be fine with it.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The N900 is a little high-tech small computer linux gadget.
It is not really a mobile phone, but offers almost all You are looking for.
Came from N95 (almost perfect), N97 (worst phone) and N900.
I love it, but see it as pocket computer. But You should like Linux and have some knowledge or desire to learn.
Otherwise maybe an Android would be better.
Just my personal statement, as dis- and advantages have been mentioned.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Some fag tagged this thread 'hell no'. Probably too scared to post their criticism in this thread.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by anjin View Post
Hi, I'm trying to decide if a n900 could be a good device for me to buy in the next weeks.

I didn't try even android so maybe I should /could go with some other device like Desire-z or Motorola Milestone, or something so (I am thinking especially about the physical keyboard).
I have not a big budget (I have a 5 months old daughter) so maybe also a symbian device like nokia c6 or (not now) a nokia e7 could be the answer. I really don't know.

What to do?

Thank you in advance for the help.

--
Anjin
Hi Anjin,

I would highly recommend a Nokia N900 any day. I wouldn't worry about lack of support or what Microsoft are going to do in the future. The N900 runs on an open source operating system called Maemo. If you frequent this forum enough times you will realize the N900 is well supported by the maemo community and you should not have a problem with it.

The Nokia N900 is not your every day locked device. There is so much more you can do with it.

For example, you mentioned you haven't tried Android, well If you want to try out the latest from Android (Froyo 2.2), you can download and install NITDroid or Gingerbread. They are Android ports that work on the N900 and give you the experience no other Smartphones can possibly match it.

Speed - You worried about the speed of the N900. Don't be! By default it runs at 600MHz, but wait, it's open source and not locked down like other phones are... so there are tutorials on this forum and elsewhere explaining how you can download scripts to overclock your N900 run at 700MHz, 800MHZ, 850MHz and even 1GHz... There are tutorials and scripts that tell you how to run your N900 more efficiently with less power options, so that your battery lasts longer and runs more efficiently.

Screens, The N900 is not locked down like most Nokia phones. On the N900 you can add widgets on any of the four screens in any location. You can link contacts, or web sites, or applications directly on the desktop. Each desktop can have a unique background or you can have one big scrollable screen. But wait, what if you want more than 4 screens, or what if you want up to 9 screens, well on the N900 you can do it easily. Again there are applications that you can download and install that give you this ability to add more screens. There are some great applications available in the repositories. Thousands of applications, so don't believe people when they say Nokia doesn't have a great application library. If you are only looking at Nokia's OVI store then yes, OVI is somewhat limited, but there are lots of repositories where you can download software from and the possibilities are endless.

Modding - If you want to modify the theme or add transitions, or hack the taskbar, everything is possible with the N900.

Video
- The N900 can handle everything. If you are into video, there is no need to convert your videos into a format that the N900 can play... No need, because the N900 plays all formats in any size. I regularly download DIVX/XVid, WMV, Mov etc and play them through media player or other 3rd party applications. You are not tied down to one media player. There are loads of options from the open source community.

Music - again plenty of file formats are supported without having to even download extra codecs.

Browsing the internet is one of the best experiences on a N900. You can have real browsers loading the full website. You not just limited to the default browser. oh no, there is firefox and Opera and Chronium and a few more in the download section.

Multi-Tasking is the N900's strongest point. You can open a lot of applications at the same time and switch between them with ease.

It has a great 5MP camera and it's easy to take photos and then send them via bluetooth, email, sms or any other service such as Flickr, google, facebook etc.

The Physical keyboard is awesome as well and very much like a real keyboard offering all the usual shortcuts. If you write a lot, twitter, email and SMS, then you'll have no problem with this keyboard.

The GPS is one of the best in all smartphones, and OVI maps is completely free, but you are not forced to use just one map application. There are loads to choose from. I prefer Sygic as it's been written for the N900 and works brilliantly.

Twitter applications, well there is Tweego, Twimgo to name just two that work really well. The N900 supports a dozen or so IM clients, which can be rolled into one and accessed from the main chat window. Did I mention SKYPE, which comes built in on the N900, so you can make free VOIP calls.

It's got all the usual bells and whistles that other smartphones have (Bluetooth, WIFI, even an Infra Red port so you can control your TV or Xbox or playstation).

There is a 32GB hard drive built in, which is more than enough storage and of course if it isn't, then you can still use SDHC cards to extend the storage to 48GB.

I could go on and on and on, but I think I have said enough.

You mentioned a few other devices with keyboards... Motorola Milestone 1/2, HTC Desire Z, there will soon be the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro... They are all good looking, practical Smartphones, but none of them are open source or a like for like of the N900.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

Last edited by MyNokiaN900; 2011-02-20 at 20:25.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
You can use 32gb cards in the N900!

Tags
bada rox, bada rulez, hell no, just shoot me, pros and cons