Notices

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
It's time to address the Menus...

Wow.. lots of work there

UPDATE: cool. I'll put few buttons on the "Menu" and move many of the tools to a stackable window.

Need to figure out what to put in the stackable window and design it.

Ideas?

The menu will probably have File operations and few mostly used tools like Page Next/Prev (possibly Undo / Redo) something like that.

The tools will go to this stackable window (a new window that'll slide from the right and will be dismissed once an action has been selected)

Last edited by anidel; 2009-09-17 at 22:26.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I know I already mentioned this in another thread, but I'd really like to see some quick way of paging the display. Your idea of using finger-touch to pan is nice (presuming Fremantle/N900's finger detection is more reliable than Diablo/N810's), but especially with a smaller physical screen on the N900, paging would be useful; when zoomed in to the point where the average person can write neatly, manually scrolling/panning with stylus or finger is cumbersome. I'm throwing this out again to see if anyone else agrees, but if it's not something you want to do, I'll understand.
Thanks for the colour palette buttons, though - that was my other main quibble. I look forward to the new release, and I'll definitely test out the future Diablo version in lecture.

Regarding the menus/dialogs, I think you could definitely dump most of the tools menu into a dialog, as well as the paper type/colour from the Journal menu
On a side note, I thought I remembered hearing about Xournal (maybe not the Maemo port) having an option to rasterize the PDF background. Is that so? Vector is nice, but for some purposes, like lecture notes, trading a bit of quality for better performance while editing/zooming might be acceptable.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
I know I already mentioned this in another thread, but I'd really like to see some quick way of paging the display. Your idea of using finger-touch to pan is nice (presuming Fremantle/N900's finger detection is more reliable than Diablo/N810's), but especially with a smaller physical screen on the N900, paging would be useful; when zoomed in to the point where the average person can write neatly, manually scrolling/panning with stylus or finger is cumbersome. I'm throwing this out again to see if anyone else agrees, but if it's not something you want to do, I'll understand.
It's not auto-detecting the finger.
You press the Hand button and Xournal goes in Pan mode and you pan around. Tap the Pen or other tool and you're back in Edit mode.

If you've got a specific idea, throw it in, we'll talk about it.

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Thanks for the colour palette buttons, though - that was my other main quibble. I look forward to the new release, and I'll definitely test out the future Diablo version in lecture.
You're welcome
Sometimes I forget it's a note-taking tool and you usually use few colours to highlight / annotate text.
Now that I think about it, a new feature would be highlighters in different colours.

The Diablo version should come right after the Fremantle one will be released. I'll recompile it for Diablo and make the small inevitable changes I'll have to do.

Aniello

Well, off the top of my head, I have one idea, but it involves some assumptions. This is just a brain-dump. This would have to be something the user could disable, but if we assume a note-taking scenario, as opposed to sketching, then one idea would be to have an unobtrusive hotspot-button appear above where you are writing, which, if tapped, will act like a carriage return. Obviously, this assumes they are writing in the lines, and could have some usability concerns in terms of retroactive editing of typos, etc, but it illustrates the use-case I'm talking about. If anyone has better ideas, please suggest them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Is text to speech only a pipe dream? I love using at work on my pdf files.

Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Is text to speech only a pipe dream? I love using at work on my pdf files.
We'd need handwriting recognition first, unless you want to use only the text tool in Xournal, which defeats much of the purpose.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I loved using xournal to write as one would on lined paper, but constantly having to move the screen made things challenging when using it to write. It would be neat to have some type of 'auto-screen-movement' thingy so that one could easily write as though writing on lined paper, and switch it off for diagrams, etc.

I love xournal, a great port, and one of my favorite N810 apps! Kudos!

}:^)~

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2009-09-18 at 00:31.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Here's a suggestion, 'word detection'. Now this idea isn't to be confused with handwriting recognition. It would just detect a group of characters that existed on a line as a distinct entity. This way, words could be inserted, justified, pushed around, resized, etc, in context of a paragraph/page and the auto-scrolling feature could easily be implemented!

It's like defining a bounding box around each 'word' so that it exists as an entity that can be moved around in a spreadsheet like fashion.

While you're pondering (or cursing) the above, I think I'm going to write a romantic letter to my GF using xournal. Handwritten is romantic, right?

{:^)~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Here's a suggestion, 'word detection'. Now this idea isn't to be confused with handwriting recognition. It would just detect a group of characters that existed on a line as a distinct entity. This way, words could be inserted, justified, pushed around, resized, etc, in context of a paragraph/page and the auto-scrolling feature could easily be implemented!
It's like defining a bounding box around each 'word' so that it exists as an entity that can be moved around in a spreadsheet like fashion.
That sounds like a fair piece of work, but it also sounds awesome, and it would neatly solve the problem of implementing my suggestion. Xournal is great, but aside from a few features, it's still mostly a glorified scribble-pad; adding intelligence of that sort would make it a lot more useful. Xournal is better than, say, MS Paint, because (being vector) it knows what a stroke is, rather than it just being data. What Capt'n Corrupt is suggesting is taking it a step further: Xournal would know what a "letter" is, or a "word", and since those are the blocks that humans deal with, it would allow the program to manipulate and respond to things at a level closer to the human understanding of the content. I think that sort of functionality would bring a lot of interesting possibilities - and distinguish it from other tablet journal apps.
Anidel, I would strongly suggest you look into this, and if it's not possible now, at least keep it in mind as you code, to keep it open for the future. "Paper" that you can interact with at a higher level than simply marks on the page would be a killer app, even more than Xournal already is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: