Notices

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey Jaffa, you'd better start figuring out a new name for your application

Only a few more months left before an app with "tablet" in the name may sound a bit obsolete...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Yup. A problem indeed. Especially since it was only around N810 launch time that I finally renamed it from '770-encode'.

'video-encode' is a bit generic. Perhaps I should have a competition? A free copy of the entire mediautils suite for the best suggestion!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I considered stuff like mobile-encode, maemo-transcode, transcodr, vidpacker, video2go, etc, etc....

But then it occurred to me... What if the new RX-51 can just play everything except maybe full 1080p? Wow... The specs suggest that it should be able to handle video a lot better than the current tablets. So maybe tablet-encode will be unnecessary for the next generation... On the other hand, maybe HD video will become so ubiquitous in the next few years that we'll still need to do a lot of transcoding...

lol. If it's using mencoder to resize and reencode the movie, why not just skip a step and just use mencoder directly. That's what I've been doing. I've also found that by doing that I can batch my work for faster conversions.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I considered stuff like mobile-encode, maemo-transcode, transcodr, vidpacker, video2go, etc, etc....
"transcodr"'s quite nice. Can't use anything involving "maemo", as it's against the trademark policy.

But then it occurred to me... What if the new RX-51 can just play everything except maybe full 1080p? Wow... The specs suggest that it should be able to handle video a lot better than the current tablets. So maybe tablet-encode will be unnecessary for the next generation... On the other hand, maybe HD video will become so ubiquitous in the next few years that we'll still need to do a lot of transcoding...
Indeed. No device discount for RX-64 for me! ;-/

However, there's still a place for ripping DVDs and transcoding for space purposes.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
lol. If it's using mencoder to resize and reencode the movie, why not just skip a step and just use mencoder directly. That's what I've been doing. I've also found that by doing that I can batch my work for faster conversions.
Because the "step" you want to skip saves you making bitrate calculations, aspect ratio calculations, DVD title investigations and so on.

What do you mean by "batch your work"? tablet-encode (the command line version, not the GUI) can take multiple inputs and transcode to a single output directory.

e.g. to rip all the episodes of a TV series DVD (in the best language for the current user), but none of the special features to an N810 mounted over USB:

Code:
tablet-encode --episodes dvd: /media/disk0/MyDocs/.video/

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
But then it occurred to me... What if the new RX-51 can just play everything except maybe full 1080p?
No what-if about it. 720p is working just fine with only CPU-side NEON optimizations on the Beagle Board right now.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
"transcodr"'s quite nice. Can't use anything involving "maemo", as it's against the trademark policy.
Well, encoder-for-maemo would work.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Can't use anything involving "maemo", as it's against the trademark policy.
Also, a name with maemo as the first word suggests that it runs in the maemo environment. I like the way GA's going with "encoder-for-maemo" but it is a rather plain name.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
encode-or-die. Now, who dares to tell me that that is plain? :P

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I like the way GA's going with "encoder-for-maemo" but it is a rather plain name.
Hehe, it's Nokia's recommended alternative to "Maemo x", what else would you expect?