Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
For you, for me the experience is the contrary. Slow music player (10 minutes to add a song to the library), slow gallery (30 seconds to open it everytime), stutter recording video, the gps take 10 minutes to get a fix, and so on. Really I am not happy with my Symbian/S60 expensive phone.
Each product has their own positive and negative aspects. These are also personal, and everyone uses the device different. There are many things I like about my S60 phone, and there will be many things I like about RX-51 and Maemo 5.0. But for example, my Nokia phone with S60 does have a functioning internal GPS in contrast to Nokia N810. Certainly not 10 minutes to get a fix! I would have tossed it then lol . I also have choice between a lot of navigation software. On the other hand, the screen is rather small for navigation, and it is not touchscreen either.

I've compared my 3 gadgets lately, mostly hardware wise:

* iPod touch has no true BlueTooth, GPS. Does have WiFi framework for GPS (Skyhook Wireless). No hardware keyboard. No good multi-tasking. Accelerometer. Has hardware accel. video. Smooth interface. Has only WiFi. No DVB-H. No SD. No replacable battery. No mic or line-in. Easy, rich App framework for touchscreen. No LED. Many 3rd party hacks and hardware available. Geen trilfunctie. No camera.
* Nokia N810 has touchscreen. Does not have good GPS. Has hardware keyboard. Has no accelerometer or hardware accel. video. Has BlueTooth and WiFi. No DVB-H. miniSD/microSD (SD with mod). Replacable battery. So-so App framework. Colour LED. Difficult to find compatible hardware. Geen trilfunctie. One front camera.
* Nokia E71 has no touchscreen. Has GPS. Has hardware keyboard. Has little storage (microSD). Has no accelerometer. Has no hardware video. Has 3G, BlueTooth, WiF,. FM. No DVB-H. Replacable battery. No easy App framework. Trilfunctie. LED. One front camera, one back camera (mediocre quality).
If you take all this into account and think about RX-51 and Maemo 5.0 then I'd say it certainly will have a competitive feature set. My problem lies rather with the inconsistencies and reliability in the software. Unfixed bugs, and inefficient behaviour. I hope these will be resolved, but they won't be resolved if the platform is not commercially viable. And in order to fix that a wider community, with also less technically-inclined people, is necessary.

BTW, what you (ciroip) propose is commercially just not viable...

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-03-20 at 21:35. Reason: BTW, [...]

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Of recent i have noticed a great decrease in the fix time of the internal n810 gps. I can get a lock in under 2 minutes. I have noticed this after the last update to the agps app about a month ago.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
I can see ONE good reason to have Symbian, at least for some time, on the tablet :
Nokias S60 ser.3 provides a relly good PIM app. together with a search pgm. (Nokias "Search") that can find any text in the PIM database, e-mails and messages plus any file name in the file system.

( By the way, if you have a Symbian device, get the program "X-plore" from www.lonelycatgames.com, a good file manager + text editor, even on the small screen of the Nokia 5500. )

There is of course Garnet-Palm, but not quite the real thing with the N810 keyboard as the Palm screen works better in portrait mode.

Except for this, I quite agree that Symbians time is really over.
I read somewhere that Symbian is a nuisance to program in, as many of its structures come from the time when memory was scarce and every saved byte of space was essential.

So, unless porting Symbian to the tablet is really simple, programming efforts are probably better invested in bettering PIMs for Mer (or Freemantle, if you consider the next? Nokia).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
together with a search pgm. (Nokias "Search") that can find any text in the PIM database, e-mails and messages plus any file name in the file system.
Well, we've got the search program.

Thanks for the INFO, new to me.

But the PIM, the PIM ? !

As when Alice (in Wonderland) meets to the Cheshire cat again :

'All right,' said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly,
beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which
remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

'Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin,' thought Alice; 'but a grin
without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!'

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Maemo 5.0 gets icalendar support. So that opens the door to an application using that library (official Nokia application or not) and together with SyncML you get something decent already. There are tons of PIM applications for Maemo btw (a list is compiled on the wiki feel free to improve), but none of them is 'good enough' so to say.

I checked icalendar on Wikipedia, and that certainly could be a good thing.
Personally, I want something in my pocket, independant of i-net connection.

I have looked around a bit on the PIMs mentioned in the Wiki, and e.g. gpe calendar seems to be going in the right direction.
As to "not good enough", as (un-) far as I have looked, I agree with you.

To me, the advantage of Nokias Symbian PIM (that I use) and Palm (as far as I can see) is the INTEGRATION of the different apps.

Of course, as Linux ( Nokia, Mer, Openmoko, etc.) probably overtakes other systems, good PIMs will be developed.

And Symbian will, of course, not end with a bang but with a wimper, or possibly vanish quite slowly and end with a grin like the Cheshire cat.

Last edited by KristianW; 2009-03-21 at 03:39.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
There will be a calendar in Fremantle
I think it wont use icalendar (at least as its main backend) because the new calendar API is really complete, with options for everything.

The S60 calendar has an important bug for me: if I delete a weekly meeting for just one day (and let the others untouched), from a random date every entry I had added is moved one hour early and it doesnt let me changed that. I had to buy Handy Calendar to use a calendar in the phone.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
ported on intel instead
http://blog.symbian.org/2009/04/16/s...n-intels-atom/

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

The Following User Says Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ciroip View Post
ported on intel instead
http://blog.symbian.org/2009/04/16/s...n-intels-atom/
Here we have a next PhoneOS for netbook manufacturers..

(really, android for netbooks.. how about symbian? please, it's not april 1st anymore..)

Tags
ngage, nokia, s60, symbian