Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ack! I gave him some love.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Check out ThoughtFix's karma! (Poor guy!)

-T.
Its a shame about that. I think the explanation was that because he grouped all his blog posts together and didn't filter out the maemo stuff to aggregate to p.m.o, his posts where buried giving negative karma.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ack! I gave him some love.
I've just tried too but clicking on the heart isn't working for me at the moment I'll try again later.

I haven't been checking lately, but last time I did I think my karma was 7.. at least it's not negative! Anyway, it proves that the number of postings on ITT doesn't matter, lol (and that's fair I think).

As for what it's to be used for, the recent postings about the Maemo Council said something about needing more than 100 karma points (or was it 200? 300? A big number anyway) to get considered.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
As for what it's to be used for, the recent postings about the Maemo Council said something about needing more than 100 karma points (or was it 200? 300? A big number anyway) to get considered.
100 karma points.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Well, it's used to help determine who to give device discount codes to, who to sponsor for events and, now, whether you're eligible for maemo.org Community Council candidacy.
I hope not. Currently it gives semi-random number for lot of people. Even if improved in future it will always be a measure of quantity not quality (unless some peer rating system is implemented).

I think that karma should stay as interesting but meaningless funny number used primarily for ego boosting. I wouldn't trust it with something more important like device discount program. It can perhaps give some hint together with other input but usage like 'people with karma below x can't apply for discount program' or 'people below x won't get the device' gives me the shivers.

We've seen first such experiment with the community council voting. True that karma requirement was pretty low there but still I think drawing line like this is conceptually wrong.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I hope not. Currently it gives semi-random number for lot of people. Even if improved in future it will always be a measure of quantity not quality (unless some peer rating system is implemented).

I think that karma should stay as interesting but meaningless funny number used primarily for ego boosting. I wouldn't trust it with something more important like device discount program. It can perhaps give some hint together with other input but usage like 'people with karma below x can't apply for discount program' or 'people below x won't get the device' gives me the shivers.

We've seen first such experiment with the community council voting. True that karma requirement was pretty low there but still I think drawing line like this is conceptually wrong.
I agree in to a certain extent but ... A more balanced karma system which gives more emphasis on contributed software, bugs reported e.t.c is a good measure of a particular persons involvement in the project. Posting irrelevant cr@p to the mailing lists or spamming the p.m.o site will get you negative karma so in that sense it is already a measure of quality as apposed to quantity. I would like to see more peer involvement in the karma system though. Each persons profile has a method of giving them a 'thumbs up' and I'd like more people to use this.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
Each persons profile has a method of giving them a 'thumbs up' and I'd like more people to use this.
They also have a thumbs down icon (without any alt text or link location) which happens to look very similar to a comment icon.

I promise I will never click another random picture on a website again if I can remove the black mark I put on my karma by clicking that button on my own profile

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
I promise I will never click another random picture on a website again if I can remove the black mark I put on my karma by clicking that button on my own profile
LOL

I just tried to give you a thumbs up but it doesn't seem to be working? Time for a bug report?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
another question about karma:

AFAIK, you get karma for mails on the mailing lists, right? (i can hardly resist to simply forward my spam folder to maemo-users... )
which address(es) count? i can add additional email addresses to your maemo.org profile. - do karma calculations work when i use one of these additional addresses for mailing lists?

(it's an old psychosis of mine to create new mail aliases for lists...)