Active Topics

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by aot View Post
I am still going to insist this issue I have N810 btw

Yes I am sure your Maemo Mapper does work fine as this setting I am talking about relates only to the network connection that is established when AGPS starts if no other network connection is available. If you don't want your 3G/GPRS connection to autostart then you wont notice anything. The setting does not define the GPS module or connection to a GPS module. In fact if I use external GPS module I do not change a thing in AGPS settings.

When you use internal GPS with Maemo Mapper, yes you leave the GPS blank in Maemo Mapper settings as described in Maemo Mapper docs.

This is what happens with my N810 when starting Maemo Mapper (or any other software using GPS)
1. Start the software
2. GPS (internal or external, I have both) defined in Control Panel and/or software in question starts.
3. AGPS notices no network connectivity yet it needs to download AGPS data, Packet data is allowed in AGPS settings, therefore it starts the packet data connection defined in Preferred connection using the phone defined in Control panel. If I have Wifi connection or existing GPRS connection the preferred connection setting has no relevance.

If you disable packet data in AGPS settings then the preferred connection is grayed out. Yet Maemo Mapper downloads AGPS if you have Wifi. I think this clearly speaks for the fact that the preferred connection relates to data connection using phone. When disabled AGPS will still download AGPS data using Wifi but will not autostart GPRS packet data when wifi connectivity is not available.

I base my interpretation on this issue my own experiences and to instructions at http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...n810/#comments comment #19. I believe the commenter Marko is AGPS developer so I value his instructions highly.

I have tested this with two phones using two different operators data plans. With these combinations it makes a pain to change phones, first I need to change the preferred connection to a different operator. Then from control panel change the phone.

I also have external GPS module but usually use the N810 internal as I find it acceptable with the help of AGPS. I get consistent GPS locks everywhere within 60 secs when using AGPS with preferred connection.
Regardles of having a network connection or not agps won't allow me to set preferred connection. Why is that? The implication of what you say is that agps can't work without that field set. I realized agps is beta code but the UI is very confusing.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Why won't agps on my N810 let me set the preferred connection with A_GPS Support and Allow packet data both checked? I tried with and without a network connection.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Regardles of having a network connection or not agps won't allow me to set preferred connection. Why is that? The implication of what you say is that agps can't work without that field set. I realized agps is beta code but the UI is very confusing.
It does work without it being set. It just won't autostart your packet data connection when AGPS requests. Do you have packet data connection via your phone configured? If not, then no connections are available for selection and it will only download AGPS data if you are using Wifi or have enabled network connectivity by other means.

Last edited by aot; 2008-10-07 at 08:43. Reason: Typos again

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
In think the preferred connection can be selected only if you have any packed data connection defined. (Which in practice means you tether the tablet with a phone via Bluetooth.)

The A-GPS UI app uses WiFi connection without asking, if it is available. Only if the WiFi is not connected it wants to use packet data connection (via cell phone) if you give a permit to use it. Checking the box "Allow packet data" means that. Then, once this is set then you can select the preferred packet data connection.

For reference, I use the A-GPS with my N810 all the time and I have not checked the "Allow packed data", nor selected the preferred connection. It works just fine. Also it appear not necessary to have constant connection to internet, since even after several hours (a day?) after last internet connection the A-GPS still seem to find all satellites, and get a fix fast without internet connection at the time of acquiring fix. (That is assuming you did not move outside the ~180miles radius of last lock.)

Mara what you say makes some sense to me because it explains how my WiFi only setup works. Checking or un-checking packet data had no effect for me and that still makes sense the way you describe and my experience. This confusion could have been avoided if the the agps settings were changed to "Allow phone packet data" and "Preferred phone connection". I will go with this assumption of operation in my HowTo although I have no way to verify with a phone. I have a cell phone but don't subscribe to a data plan. My thanks to mara and aot for steering me in the right direction.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I really love this application but as total GPS newbie it was at first a challenge to use. Maemo Mapper has a very good help file. It approaches use by explaining functions as organized in the menu structure and is only available on your tablet. I've always found a task focus to be best when learning a new application. Partially as a self learning exercise I decided to write one. Although still a work in progress I felt it's time to start exposing it to the community for comments. I've taken the liberty to include the application help files which I extracted from the source tarball. It's written as a single web page and for now is hosted on my site http://fragostech.com/MaemoMapper/. I plan to add one or more screen dumps from an actual trip. I'm open to comments and corrections.
This looks great. If you don't mind, I've added it to the list of Maemo Mapper documentation.

On that page, you'll also see the link to the online version of the Maemo Mapper help file (yes, there is an online version). Unfortunately, at the moment, there appears to be a bug in Maemo Garage that prevents that link from working. I've sent an email to the Garage folks to see if we can fix it.

Thanks for all the work you put into this doc!

gnuite,

Thanks, glad to do it. It's my intension to share in the spirit of open source. In all likely hood I will make improvements and plan some examples of a trip in progress.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Maemo Mapper HowTo has been completed to my satisfaction. Unless of course some issues have found there way in or if users new to GPS have difficulty getting started with Maemo Mapper on the N8x0. Electronic distribution makes constant improvement a simple matter. I'm ready to make those changes as they come to my attention. My thanks to this forum for being so helpful.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Are you aware that gnuite just released a new version this morning? I haven't looked at your howto, but assuming it discusses setting up repositories, it will need changing a bit. (Unless you already got to it, of course.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Are you aware that gnuite just released a new version this morning? I haven't looked at your howto, but assuming it discusses setting up repositories, it will need changing a bit. (Unless you already got to it, of course.)
I got the SSU of it but haven't yet reviewed the changes he made to see if I need to make adjustments. In regards to installation I documented a way to install that should still work. I try to write this kind of piece with a single path to successful use. Unlike a classic reference piece I don't deal with the totality of what an application can do and how it works, just enough detail to perform a useful function. I believe it's much easier to learn the intricacies of an ap once you'd accomplished useful work with it. I did include the ap help files for reference so I will need to insure that they are still correct.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Tags
howto, maemo mapper