Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I will buy the N9 only because I'm curious and want to own the currently only phone built around a desktop-like GNU/Linux stack...
WebOS' stack is very similar

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
N9 is the first and most probably last meego device. WP is their flagship device from 2012 on. So the N9 wonīt be any better then the N900, which took 2 years to get it where it is now, and still canīt compete with any other OS.

Originally Posted by God View Post
N9 is the first and most probably last meego device. WP is their flagship device from 2012 on. So the N9 wonīt be any better then the N900, which took 2 years to get it where it is now, and still canīt compete with any other OS.
From Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reffyyyy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Whilst the HP webOS is an interesting alternative you also wonder if that can survive long term/how much support it will receive.
HP are really splashing out on WebOS as their smartphone/tablet play, and they're supporting a community much like maemo.org (PreCentral.net). It might not work out for them, but you can guarantee investment in the platform for at least the foreseeable future. Also, as has already been said, the stack isn't too different from Maemo.

I'd like a MeeGo phone with a hwkb supported by an enthusiastic company, but life isn't about what you want - it's about what you can have. I think the Pre3 is the nearest thing to an N900 successor we'll see this year.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brighton
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
..a future Symbian device that combines the strengths of the N8 with a hardware keyboard.
Whilst better than Android, Symbian multi-tasking leaves much to be desired. You still can't switch between windows in the same app, for example. And again, it's a dead platform - I wouldn't be bothered if I already had a Symbian phone, but I wouldn't buy into it.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
I bouhgt the N900 when it was out in 2009. when it was out Nokia said'' it is not a phone it is a computer'' and they where absoltly right. I use that for work and I can't see workink a computer without a keyboard.

I will continue to use N900 until I find a replacement, N9 is not N950 wold be but not available.

I work a lot with office, remote desktop.

as anyone found if the sony xpria pro would be a replacement

The Following User Says Thank You to JD2010 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Darkshine View Post
You still can't switch between windows in the same app, for example.
Don't understand. What mobile OS supports switching between windows within the same app? Is this, for example, switching between calendar and contacts view in a PIM?

Last edited by SD69; 2011-07-03 at 18:00.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Darkshine View Post
And again, it's a dead platform - I wouldn't be bothered if I already had a Symbian phone, but I wouldn't buy into it.
Well, the "dead platform" thing should keep me away from the N9 even more... and it doesn't. I'm not buying a platform (or an "ecosystem"), I'm buying a phone. (Actually, I'm trying to buy a mobile computer.) Symbian still outperforms its competitors (including Harmattan from what we know today) wrt the features that matter to me. So let the platform die as long as there's a phone to buy for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Don't understand. What mobile OS supports switching between windows within the same app? Is this, for example, switching between calendar and contacts view in a PIM?
Think more along the lines of multiple email windows showing or composing different messages, as you could do on Maemo before Fremantle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by God View Post
So the N9 wonīt be any better then the N900 ... and still canīt compete with any other OS.
IMHO, you rock with being able to get two things wrong in one sentence!

1. N9 is "better" than N900 in one way - more people want it. N9 is a consumer mass market, sexy, swiping, touching, feeling good device. That's where it is better than N900, in its simple usability, and that's what made iPhone popular.

2. MeeGo is a cool unique OS that gives people a choice and an alternative and it is better than iOS4 and Android in several ways. Swipe, social networking and skype integration, good use of all three home screen, etc..

Of course time will show if I got this wrong or not.