Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jussik: I know developers don't hear this much, but I want to give you my extreme thanks. Hands down, SC2 is the best game of all time. I just replayed UQM on the PC and having it on the 770 got me excited. I haven't tried going further than what I've described above, but 320x200 pixel doubled sounds like the way to go. In the meantime I would just watch computer vs. computer melee battles to alleviate boredom on the commute to work.

Again, thanks so much!

Oh the shock and horror when you see that Earth has been slave shielded! While SC II maybe wasn't the best game ever (we have titles like Eve Online), it was no doubt the top of the day. Would be nice to see other great titles on Linux/in open source as well, like MAX (came out in 1996 I think).

I have the same problem with the first dialogue with the Ur-Quan drone at Earth. Could it be because of how the libraries are setup or packaged?

The 770 controls are really not the best for gaming (and 2 hand operation). But the melee is somewhat playable. Small, fast ships are difficult to play, so bigger ships are more important here...

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think what did it for me about games like that was that they were so simple yet got you so enthralled. I can remember my heart pounding when I entered the system where the Sa Matra was parked, and feeling cool as hell when I blew it up (hint: pkunk ).

If you remember that era, XCOM is being ported to the 770... they managed to play it but are still working on it, so soon. Turn based tactical games like that would be insanely good for the 770 (and it's crappy directional pad)

This is cool I can't wait to install it (how did I miss this?). However the games I'd like to see ported would be the Quest for Glory serise.

Let me know how the latest build goes, they fixed the sound issues and one of the devs was saying it's playable earlier in this thread. I haven't gotten around to installing the latest since I flashed for fear of the D-pad.

Originally Posted by varis
I have the same problem with the first dialogue with the Ur-Quan drone at Earth. Could it be because of how the libraries are setup or packaged?
Must be.. Though I never saw that myself.

I haven't dropped this project, other things have just gotten in the way -- first I spent 2 months trying to get my 770 fixed (and finally got a replacement that works fine), now I'm really busy In Real Life.

We'll have to see which one is out first, the 2006 OS or the next update on UQM

I noticed UQM can be addictive. Fortunately I'm pretty busy these days as well, so my playing time has been limited to just a few hours.

I can still beat many ships with the Vux. CHMMR is a ***** as an opponent. Could be fun to start modding this game, but then again time is limited etc.

The Chmmr Avatar isn't too bad, just use ships with shields like the Yehat or the Utwig so you can go through the satellites sans damage. Or be a prick and use the Kohr-Ah Marauder's flame field to destroy them the second the Chmmr sucks you in.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
This is a fantastic game. Thanks jussik! Some notes:

Current debs are only for OS2005.
No source code on jussik's site.
No diffs for his changes available.
Hardware 2x scaling is possible on the 770. Tak in #maemo on irc.freenode.net has implemented this for fceu/xmame. This would be nice to have.
Current UQM is 0.6.x

This is truly one of the great games of all time. I have patched mine to slow down combat enough to make it playable for me (and perhaps the 770 keypad).

Many thanks again to Jussik, but we can not run this on OS 2006 please share the source. The power of GPL compels you.

Package dependencies: libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxt6 libsdl-image1.2

I want it, too